+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Baby1990

Star Member
Oct 15, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have one more question. He has his parents in india, can they take his passports. Or we should apply for travel document. I have to apply file yet.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Baby1990 said:
I have one more question. He has his parents in india, can they take his passports. Or we should apply for travel document. I have to apply file yet.
He has to give them permission, but yes, they can take his passport. The only reason I mentioned that is because I have read stories of people in a pinch because NDVO has held their passport for so long.

ilovekj

Star Member
Mar 13, 2013
amikety said:
First, I'm going to recommend NOT sending in 1,500 pages of chatlogs. Print a sample (1 per month is fine) and then take a screenshot of the chat archive showing all the other chats. IO does not need to know everything you ever discussed. They do need to see regular contact. You can google how to locate the archives for your chat program. Make sure to label who is who if you use handles instead of your names in the chat. You can translate it yourself IF you have other proofs that are translated. (AKA, this is a secondary proof.)

For Facebook, instead of copying all the chats, do your Wall-to-Wall aka "Friendship" with your spouse. Then you can highlight mutual friends, such as family. I copy/pasted everything into Word first to delete excess space and remove a ton of the game requests we gave each other. (IO doesn't need to see 100 Candy Crush invites!). Took screenshots (using Snipping Tool) of engagement and marriage announcements on Facebook.

Think quality, not quantity especially if your case is fairly straightforward.
Thanks for the advice.. I didn't know it was this stressful gathering documents.. I do not understand what to do with facebook, but what im doing right now is getting a screenshot of every post we din (e.g occasions that we greeted each other) still confuse on the message thing. so basically i can translate some of the chatlogs my self?

MisterBob

Star Member
Jul 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-06-2013
Med's Done....
05-02-2013
MisterBob said:
We just submitted did one of these forms to extend her stay as a visitor in February.

Im assuming we need to complete all the steps again for the "open work permit"?

Just to clearify, does this form need to be completed in order to start working after AIP (Stage 1) ? If this form was not submitted and my common-law gets AIP, she cannot work till Stage 2 or submitting this form?

Im sorry if im not making sense.. I hope someone can help us clearify this. We were just about to submit our application without this "open work permit" form but while anticipating to work after AIP.

Thanks to whomever that can help!

Can someone please help me with this? :)

orly

Star Member
Oct 9, 2012
Guelph, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2012
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
File Transfer...
09-01-2013
Med's Done....
15-11-2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05-08-2013
LANDED..........
17-08-2013 (lived in Canada since 2012 though)
amikety said:
First, I'm going to recommend NOT sending in 1,500 pages of chatlogs. Print a sample (1 per month is fine) and then take a screenshot of the chat archive showing all the other chats. IO does not need to know everything you ever discussed. They do need to see regular contact. You can google how to locate the archives for your chat program. Make sure to label who is who if you use handles instead of your names in the chat. You can translate it yourself IF you have other proofs that are translated. (AKA, this is a secondary proof.)

For Facebook, instead of copying all the chats, do your Wall-to-Wall aka "Friendship" with your spouse. Then you can highlight mutual friends, such as family. I copy/pasted everything into Word first to delete excess space and remove a ton of the game requests we gave each other. (IO doesn't need to see 100 Candy Crush invites!). Took screenshots (using Snipping Tool) of engagement and marriage announcements on Facebook.

My lawyer advised us to send no chat logs or emails or such like even though we had spent several years of our relationship apart.

We do however live together in Canada at the moment so that may sway things.

The joint bank accounts, marriage certificate, flight tickets showing when we had visited each other and photos seemed to be more than enough.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MisterBob said:
We just submitted did one of these forms to extend her stay as a visitor in February.

Im assuming we need to complete all the steps again for the "open work permit"?

Just to clearify, does this form need to be completed in order to start working after AIP (Stage 1) ? If this form was not submitted and my common-law gets AIP, she cannot work till Stage 2 or submitting this form?

Im sorry if im not making sense.. I hope someone can help us clearify this. We were just about to submit our application without this "open work permit" form but while anticipating to work after AIP.

Thanks to whomever that can help!
You extended her stay as a visitor but you did not apply for an open work permit yet so that means that yes, you do have to fill out the form for that.

In order to work after getting AIP, she needs a work permit. If she did not apply for the open work permit with the sponsorship package, she can apply for it at the time she gets the AIP but she can not start working until she gets the work permit.

Kaela6

May 10, 2013
Hello, I applied to sponsor my common law spouse INSIDE Canada. Our application was received on November 23, 2012 and it says it is only supposed to take 6 months to process stage 1 (AIP) so that we can extend his work permit which expires Aug 30, 2013. However, I have checked the weekly updates online in the Processing Times section for the past 4 weeks they still say only working on applications received October 8, 2012 :( Does anyone know why this is? Does this mean they are not working on any applications from inside Canada right now? HELP!

Baby1990

Star Member
Oct 15, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have one question friends.
I am confused.
I am sending my marriage certificate photocopy. Do i need to notrized this. Or i can send only photocopy. Plz reply

savinca

Sep 18, 2012
I noticed the OP is dated back in 2010, wondering if there is any change, regarding:

"If you are a PR, you must reside in Canada in order to sponsor your spouse. You can chance short vacations (remember that a Canadian vacation is generally no longer than 2 weeks) but if immigration finds out that you are not in Canada, you risk getting your application refused."

So I called CIC just now, asking this question, the rep said that as a PR, I can stay outside of Canada to sponsor my spouse as out-land application, as long as I meet the time requirement of PR. If the sponsored spouse is in Canada, I have the choice of in-land or out-land.

So anyone can confirm the quoted statement above? Say if I get married outside of Canada, can I stay there without coming back to Canada to work or to live, and wait for CIC to finalize my spouse's application, then come to Canada together?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
savinca said:
I noticed the OP is dated back in 2010, wondering if there is any change, regarding: If you are a PR, you must reside in Canada in order to sponsor your spouse. You can chance short vacations (remember that a Canadian vacation is generally no longer than 2 weeks) but if immigration finds out that you are not in Canada, you risk getting your application refused." So I called CIC just now, asking this question, the rep said that as a PR, I can stay outside of Canada to sponsor my spouse as out-land application, as long as I meet the time requirement of PR. If the sponsored spouse is in Canada, I have the choice of in-land or out-land. So anyone can confirm the quoted statement above? Say if I get married outside of Canada, can I stay there without coming back to Canada to work or to live, and wait for CIC to finalize my spouse's application, then come to Canada together?
The rep is wrong (unfortunately the CIC call centre often gives out incorrect information). The rule still applies. I you are a PR you must be living in Canada from the time you submit the application until the time the application is finalized. Again, short trips are OK (I think you can definitely get away with three weeks - maybe even a month as long as you don't do it more than once a year). Anything more, and you risk having your application refused.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
General question: If you get a PPR, does that generally mean that they have approved your application or at least your application is in good shape?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
keesio said:
General question: If you get a PPR, does that generally mean that they have approved your application or at least your application is in good shape?
From Ottawa it means your application is approved and they are ready to issue your COPR in most cases.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
amikety said:

This is good advice.

Mrs Selim

Mar 6, 2013
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-3-2013
Interview........
May 28 2013 denied
Passport Req..
May 5 2015
VISA ISSUED...
May 12 2015
LANDED..........
May 31 2015
Hi all...i have a guestion ..if my husband gets the visa to come to me too Canada how long does he have to leave egypt or is it forever good and he can wait 1 year to leave egypt..cause he needs to finish university first.

abscott

Feb 24, 2013
Manila
Visa Office......
Manila
App. Filed.......
07-08-2013
AOR Received.
23-08-2013
File Transfer...
04-09-2013
Med's Done....
10-06-2013
Passport Req..
15-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-22-2014
LANDED..........
02-20-2015
amikety said:

Hi...do I need to apply for a work permit together with the application if I want to work when I come up to Canada?

Does this mean I won't be allowed to work there if i haven't applied for a work permit?

Thanks...

abscott