+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Paulo T

Oct 29, 2011
Hello all

Can someone help me with the questions i wrote before? Page 456 i think...

Thanks to all and Merry Christmas!

Regards Paulo

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Paulo T said:
Hello all

Im Paulo, im from Portugal, and my wife is from Canada, we been married for 7 month, married in Canada, and starting the papers work to move to canada, have a few questions since all is a big mess of papers :)

Hey! can't answer all questions but can always try some!

To Start:
Certified true copies

To have a photocopy of a document certified, an authorized person must compare the original document to the photocopy and must print the following on the photocopy:

“I certify that this is a true copy of the original document”,
the name of the original document,
the date of the certification,
his or her name,
his or her official position or title, and
his or her signature.

This means all my documents photocopys have to be certified? The notary public here don't write the certification paper in english...so how i even do that?only certain documents need to be certified. If anything is not in english or french, and is an official document, you need to get a certified translation - so you get the translation and the certification at the same time. Normal copies ( for your passport etc) don't need to be certified. Only certify the ones that are required by your regional guideline to be - your VO is Paris I suppose, so in that case, you need to refer to the guideline for Paris.

About the forms and medical examination....so i send all papers to my wife in canada she puts her stuff together and sends everything to missasauga right? since now i saw this (Note: You may be eligible to come to Canada through Family Sponsorship.
First, your family member who is a citizen or permanent resident of Canada must apply to be a sponsor and then be approved. When your sponsor receives positive results from her/his sponsorship assessment, you have one year to complete the forms and gather all the required documents. You should send them as soon as possible to the appropriate visa office....now does she have to send first her papers? or goes all together to missasauga and they send mines to Paris?)
And about the Medical exams: then i wait for them to ask for the medical exams? I called the place here where they do the exams and i need a process number...how i get that number? After i print all papers and pay? Or after i send all to missasauga and wait for answer or smtg??

how it works: you fill out your part, you send it to your wife, she fills out her part, add her forms + your forms together, and THEN send everything to Mississauga. Mississauga will mostly look at the sponsor part, but they might check if other forms are missing. Mississauga approves the sponsor part, and then once that's done, they send the file to the Visa Office - in your case, Paris. Communication regarding the sponsorship part go to the sponsor, either by mail, or snail mail. Communication regarding the PR part go to the applicant - you.

FOr medical exams: choose a doctor from CIC list, and call them to see what they need in terms of pictures etc. Then go for your appointment. The doctor will give you a form proving that you have done the medical exams, and you include that in your application - in the part that you send to your wife. the results will go straight to Paris VO and "wait" for your file there. WHen it's transferred from Mississauga, then the results are matched with your file.

You don't need a process number - for outland sponsorship, it is not needed. Call them back and specify that you are under the family sponsorship - not any other category - and they should be able to do it.

the translation of documents and certification....can be a friend do the translation and be certified? Or need to be a translation company doing that?
if your friend is a professional translator, then yes. Otherwise no. see my previous point about certified translation.
For documents that are not official - maybe emails between you and your wife if not in english or french - you can do it yourself, or ask somebody from your friends to do it. However, as much as possible try and have things in english or french directly.

About the forms:

So my wife is the sponsor she fills this ones right?

Document Checklist [IMM 5491] (PDF, 159 KB)
Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking [IMM 1344] (PDF, 356 KB)
Sponsorship Evaluation [IMM 5481] (PDF, 110 KB)
Sponsor Questionnaire [IMM 5540] (PDF, 160 KB)I don't have the list with me, but follow the checklist and it should be fine.

Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (PDF, 55 KB) and Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409] (PDF, 97 KB) think i don't need since we married and we don't have a representative. correct

And i should fill this ones right?

Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] (PDF, 536 KB)
Schedule A – Background/Declaration [IMM 5669] (PDF, 170 KB)
Additional Family Information [IMM 5406] (PDF, 88 KB)
Sponsored Spouse/Partner Questionnaire [IMM 5490] (PDF, 142 KB) I don't have the list with me, but as long as you follow the guideline you should be fine.

I have the Medical one IMM1017, but has ask before...dunno then how it's done this one, since someone said would be better send right away with all forms...but with a process number dunno how...yes - send it right away with the rest of the form, the doctor will give it to you, see my previous explanation. Leave the medical exam for the last minute because they are valid for a year. So if you do it now, you will have to land before december 2013, or get your medicals extended, or renewed - so prepare everything else, and your wife from her side should do the same, and once you are ready to send her everything, get the medical exams. You don't need to wait for the results - you won't get them - you only need the form from the doctor that you have done it.

For now think is all...been printing photos and our convos to send also, and get everything basically ready to send soon i hope...the photos need be printed as original? I was going to print 4 photos in a A4 paper with subtitles on it explaining each photo, can it be this way? yes that's acceptable, I did the same - printed 3 pictures per page on A4 and with captions explaining what/who was on the pictures, when etc.

Thanks to all for all help you can give, and if anyone from Portugal mail me pls :) or if anyone else wnat to mail feel free ofc to do so.

Good luck with the process!
Sweden

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
Paulo T said:
This means all my documents photocopys have to be certified? The notary public here don't write the certification paper in english...so how i even do that?
Most documents don't need to be certified copies. You will need certified copies for documents that need to be translated because they're not in English or French.

About the forms and medical examination....so i send all papers to my wife in canada she puts her stuff together and sends everything to missasauga right?
Yes, everything gets sent to Mississauga, including the forms you need to fill out. She puts *everything* together, not just her forms.

now does she have to send first her papers? or goes all together to missasauga and they send mines to Paris?)
No, She sends everything to Mississauga. After the first stage of processing, Mississauga sends the file to Paris. You don't send anything to Paris, except in special circumstances, mainly if you're asked to do this.

And about the Medical exams: then i wait for them to ask for the medical exams? I called the place here where they do the exams and i need a process number...how i get that number? After i print all papers and pay? Or after i send all to missasauga and wait for answer or smtg??
No. You print the Appendix C from the "Western Europe" package, fill it out and take that to the doctor. The reason the doctor told you you need a number is because most immigrants they see are not applying as the spouse of a Canadian. Those people need papers from the embassy before they can do their medical. You do your medical without any documents from the embassy. The doctor is making a mistake because they are not familiar with the process for you. This happened to my wife too. The doctor she went to first didn't believe her when she said she didn't need documentation, so she saw a different doctor.

the translation of documents and certification....can be a friend do the translation and be certified? Or need to be a translation company doing that?
This is a difficult question, but I think the answer is yes, if the person is not a relative. However, the paperwork seems a bit complicated.

I have the Medical one IMM1017, but has ask before...dunno then how it's done this one, since someone said would be better send right away with all forms...but with a process number dunno how...
When you do the medical exam, the doctor will give you a document that you include with the forms.

For now think is all...been printing photos and our convos to send also, and get everything basically ready to send soon i hope...the photos need be printed as original? I was going to print 4 photos in a A4 paper with subtitles on it explaining each photo, can it be this way?
I think so. There is a page I found helpful with advice about what to include in an application. I can't link to it here, but Google "Spousor your spouse for Canadian permanent residence" (sic).

Paulo T

Oct 29, 2011
Thank you very much Sweden :)

Was a great help, and yeah will call them back, since they only asked if was for immigration and if i had process number, i said no not yet, so they said i need that...but will call again.
The documents i saw need be really translated was birth certificate and criminal record...unless im missing something...but ok need search then to translate the criminal record since that one only comes in PT and take to a notary, but there they only give a paper in PT saying thats translation is correct and valid..they don't wirte in english, that part already got informed, so my point will be the printing part that need to be in the photocopy... o_O need check how going to get that...and been printing a toon phone and msn convos...hope helps also.

But was already big help. Thanks again.

Regards Paulo

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Paulo T said:
Thank you very much Sweden :)

Was a great help, and yeah will call them back, since they only asked if was for immigration and if i had process number, i said no not yet, so they said i need that...but will call again.
The documents i saw need be really translated was birth certificate and criminal record...unless im missing something...but ok need search then to translate the criminal record since that one only comes in PT and take to a notary, but there they only give a paper in PT saying thats translation is correct and valid..they don't wirte in english, that part already got informed, so my point will be the printing part that need to be in the photocopy... o_O need check how going to get that...and been printing a toon phone and msn convos...hope helps also.

But was already big help. Thanks again.

Regards Paulo
For translation - you can try to find one online. We did that, and it worked. We send a scanned version ( of our rent contract), and the person translated it and sent it back to us (via real mail), with copies, and certified translation. Took a week ( was not from portuguese to english, but still, it should be the same).

Birth certificate and criminal records - they will need official, certified translation. You can try and google it, if you don't find anybody I can try - I know a translator based in Lisbon, if it helps let me know and I'll send you coordinates...

Good luck with putting it together!
Sweden

Paulo T

Oct 29, 2011
Ok, tks m8, will check it :) ill mail you if i need your contact, but most problably will ask your contact if he does everything right away and the notary part also, as long comes with all that they want i guess for me is good :)

To have a photocopy of a document certified, an authorized person must compare the original document to the photocopy and must print the following on the photocopy:

his or her name,
his or her signature.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Paulo T said:
Ok, tks m8, will check it :) ill mail you if i need your contact, but most problably will ask your contact if he does everything right away and the notary part also, as long comes with all that they want i guess for me is good :)

his or her name,
his or her signature.
Well if you get a certified translation it's "both" at the same time - a translation + a certification that it's a true translation, so you don't need the extra step of certifying the copy - because in that case the translator will send you the original translation.

What you can do is : get a certified copy ( I don't know in portugal, but in lots of countries you can go to a notary, or to a public authority - townhall etc - where they will make the copy - bring the original, they do the copy and they stamp it themselves to certify that it's a true copy. Then send the copy to a translator who will return the certified copy + the certified translation, and that's what you send to CIC.

but contact a translator first, they might only need a normal copy to do the translation.
Good luck,
Sweden

Max78

Dec 22, 2012
Hi, my common law partner(canadian citezen) and I applied for PR. I was in Canada at that moment and now had to leave to my country(family emergency) How can Iget back to Canada? Does official marriage will help? Thanx

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Max78 said:
Hi, my common law partner(canadian citezen) and I applied for PR. I was in Canada at that moment and now had to leave to my country(family emergency) How can Iget back to Canada? Does official marriage will help? Thanx
How did you apply for PR? Inland or outland?

Do you need a visa to visit Canada or are you visa exempt?

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
Max78 said:
Have you applied Inland or Outland? Do u require a visitor visa to enter Canada or is your country visa exempt?

If you applied inland you're not supposed to leave Canada until your PR has been granted. If you require a visitor visa to enter Canada, you must first obtain this visa (unless you already hold a multiple entry TRV) which is not guaranteed and can be difficult to get, especially after you're in a legal relationship (common law) with a Canadian citizen. Showing your marriage certificate won't have a baring on whether you're allowed entry into Canada or not.

If you applied for PR outland (through your own country) then leaving Canada isn't a problem. If you're from a visa exempt country it shouldn't be too much of a problem to enter Canada (just show that u can support yourself and have some ties to your home country).

mandn

Dec 3, 2012
Sweden said:
Filing inland + leaving the country just after that is a VERY big risk, and I would certainly not advise you to do that! the whole point of filing inland is to STAY in canada. So if you leave right after, there is really no reason to file inland - I understand that you want to have a OWP after 6 months, but in a way, you can't have it all! either you file outland, and you can be outside of Canada and work for that time, OR you file Inland and you have to stay in Canada and not work for that time, and not be able to leave - but have a work permit after 6 months. Your choice. But a combination of the advantages of both processes is not a possibility - and the border officer will be able to see that you have applied inland at the border, and there is a good risk that he will question why you have been outside of the country while filing inland. Here is what CIC says :

This application is for spouses or common-law partners of Canadian citizens or permanent residents who wish to apply for permanent residence while both the sponsor and the applicant are residing in Canada.

If the applicant does not reside in Canada, DO NOT use this form.

11 months is an average for Manilla applicants and you could be done earlier. You could probably send the outland application, then go and live in Japan, and come back after 6 months, either with your PR approved ( if it all goes really fast), or with a few more months to wait - assuming your partner is Japanese, she could come on a tourist visa and wait out the rest of the PR process.

Good luck,
Sweden
Hi Sweden.
If I apply outland can I send my application while my wife is still in Canada with me (before we leave for her country) or does she have to leave first before I mail it?

Thanks again.

blondie1216

Jun 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-03-2012 received 26-03-2012
AOR Received.
27-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-06-2012
Med's Done....
11-25-2011 extension requested from IO 11-20-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
December 27th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
January 14th, 2013 Decision Made!
LANDED..........
In a minute!
computergeek said:
I assume you have a Canadian passport. If not, you will need to obtain a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship and then obtain one.

Yes, you complete B4/B4A forms to declare what you are bringing to Canada. This avoids the need to pay tax on them.
Thanks computer geek.. I have both Canadian passport and citizenship card. So just fill out the forms and take it with me.. Let the immigration officer know I am moving and want to clear some stuff when they arrive?

Thanks so much.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
mandn said:
If I apply outland can I send my application while my wife is still in Canada with me (before we leave for her country) or does she have to leave first before I mail it?
She can be anywhere in the world, including inside Canada.

CIC is geographically challenged - remember, they consider Ottawa to be outside Canada.

"Inland" versus "Outland" is really more about "where do we process the application" not about "where is the applicant" - strictly speaking, you can only file inland if the applicant is in Canada, but outland is allowed if the applicant is anywhere in the world.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
blondie1216 said:
Thanks computer geek.. I have both Canadian passport and citizenship card. So just fill out the forms and take it with me.. Let the immigration officer know I am moving and want to clear some stuff when they arrive?
Fill out the B4/B4A forms in advance.