AIP - December 18
SA - December 18
Biometrics done (completed on GCKEY) - December 20
Hi, are you PR now? :))

Funbox

Star Member
Sep 27, 2015
Calgary, Canada
My case is slightly complicated. We began cohabiting in 2022, but I had my place at the time and didn't change my address on my documents. I moved in completely in 2023 and officially changed the address. We have been living together for almost two years now. In my case, do I say I entered the common-law relationship in 2023 (a year after living together) or 2024 (a year after I officially changed my address)?
You said you had your place, does it mean you owned a property or you rented it? If you owned it, you should have documents to prove it. If you rented it, didn't you have a lease contract? If not, maybe you can speak with the owner and try to get a letter stating you and your spouse rented the place.

In my opinion, the longer you can prove the relationship, the better. But if you have absolutely no document that proves how long it really is, I'm not sure if you have any other choice other than using the oldest document you have. You can always write a letter of explanation, but they might ask for supporting documents.

notdutra

Jan 19, 2024
Sent my Application on March 3rd, 2023
Apr 18 - Application received
June 23 - Biometrics request
June 26 - Transfered aplication from Sydney VO to Mexico VO
June 28 - Biometrics completed
Sept 20 - Medical request
Sept 29 - Medical completed
Oct 26 - Eligibility completed
Oct 27 - Received pre arrival service email
Feb 8 - Background Check completed

MichalKr

Feb 9, 2024
Hi all, thank you for sharing all the useful info. Much appreciated.

I have one question about the recent change - since January 11, 2024 the Appostille Convention came into effect in Canada. Did anybody get contacted about getting the documents like a Police certificate or Education/Diploma authenticated with Apostille?

Thank you.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi all, thank you for sharing all the useful info. Much appreciated.

I have one question about the recent change - since January 11, 2024 the Appostille Convention came into effect in Canada. Did anybody get contacted about getting the documents like a Police certificate or Education/Diploma authenticated with Apostille?

Thank you.
My understanding is that so far - very tentative, based on minimal info - the approach has been to primarily allow Canadians the ability to get documents authenticated in a recognized way abroad (as some countries are quite specific about what they will accept), and that - again tentatively - Canada has not been asking for or requiring docs to be apostilled. (That said I think the convention requires that Canada accept apostilled documents, it just doesn't mean that Canada has to require it.)

So I would suggest for most applicants:
-Follow the existing instructions and don't go out of your way to get docs apostilled, esp if the existing approach is well known and works.
-In some countries and jurisidictions, it MIGHT be useful to use apostille if the existing requirements are not reliable or very unclear.

But as far as I'm aware in most cases it's just an extra step that Cnada doesn't require.

Examples? I don't know. One example might be some latin american countries where some docs have to be 'notarized' at government offices/ can only be notarized at govt offices. But the thing is - that's basically what the apostille process is anyway (except that perhaps has to have foreign or justice ministry stamp added, I dunno).

Other cases: well, one example might be USA, but I'm kind of speculating - there's an ongoing issue where IRCC is confused by the handful of states in which the document entitled 'marriage license' is actually also the marriage certificate (when completed/registered by the county or equivalent). Maybe you could get that authenticated/apostilled to prove to IRCC that it actually is also the marriage license. On the other hand, most of the time applciants from those states eventually get IRCC to take the doc.

I'm sure there are some other corner cases where it may be useful but I don't knwo about them.

FWIW/AFAIK/etc.

Stressed404

Feb 9, 2024
Hi all, this is a general enquiry based on my anxiety level being 1million.
Application Submitted - 20th Nov (applied in September but bounced back for an error)
AOR - 7th Dec
OWP application - 8th Dec
BIL - 18th Dec
Pre Arrival Letter- 19th Dec
AIP - 10th Jan
2nd AIP - 30th Jan (not sure why)
MIL - 9th Feb

What I would love to know is if the above is a positive sign. While I have no doubts about my relationship and have abundance of proof there was no room to submit, I assume while we were in “background” this would be the time they actually may ask for more info or get passed to Etobicoke for further analysis.

This whole process is teaching me that my need for control on my life, and the ability to relax are definitely not getting added to my CV soon.

Also, I am miffed that so far I’ve not had my OWP, I’ve had them before so I was hopeful it would be quicker. Still in the range though I suppose.

anyway enough grumbling. Hope everyone is coping!!

Tarikla

Star Member
Nov 20, 2023
Hi all, this is a general enquiry based on my anxiety level being 1million.
Application Submitted - 20th Nov (applied in September but bounced back for an error)
AOR - 7th Dec
OWP application - 8th Dec
BIL - 18th Dec
Pre Arrival Letter- 19th Dec
AIP - 10th Jan
2nd AIP - 30th Jan (not sure why)
MIL - 9th Feb

What I would love to know is if the above is a positive sign. While I have no doubts about my relationship and have abundance of proof there was no room to submit, I assume while we were in “background” this would be the time they actually may ask for more info or get passed to Etobicoke for further analysis.

This whole process is teaching me that my need for control on my life, and the ability to relax are definitely not getting added to my CV soon.

Also, I am miffed that so far I’ve not had my OWP, I’ve had them before so I was hopeful it would be quicker. Still in the range though I suppose.

anyway enough grumbling. Hope everyone is coping!!
If you got AIP, that means they already cleared you about the genuineness of your relationship. Background Check step is about criminality and security checks, not about your relation with your sponsor.

Also, Background checks are very long, several months after submitting biometrics. It sucks that your OWP is getting held up, but nothing much you can do about it. Some people end up getting PR before OWP even.

Bean001

Jan 6, 2024
*** I meant January 31st***
Update February 10th
February 9th: P2 (I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not but they sent P2 the day I told them I will be back in Canada)
February 9th: Submitted photo and address
eCOPR: Waiting.
VO: Etobicoke

Bean001

Jan 6, 2024
Update February 10th
February 9th: P2 (I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not but they sent P2 the day I told them I will be back in Canada)
February 9th: Submitted photo and address
eCOPR: Waiting.
VO: Etobicoke
February 9th: Also declared my status in Canada

Raj0411

Star Member
Sep 5, 2018
Hello, I have submitted my Spousal Application and under imm5533 i have made a mistake by answering question Information about previous examination (to be completed by the sponsor) as yes instead of no. I haven't received my AOR yet. How i can i correct this mistake ? Should i raise a web form now or once i get AOR?

Lisa25

Feb 14, 2024
Hello,
Just wondering is it possible to sponsor my partner now for commonlaw sponsorship since were having a kid when i previously sponsor my exhusband but had it withdrawn before he got his permanent resident? Does it count at sponsor since the application wasn’t succesful? It’s been 2 years since we seperated and the divorce is on going