+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Suryarao611

Sep 23, 2020
I was wondering if I would need to show tax returns for the sponsorship, because I did a soft landing and didn't file my taxes. Many Thanks.
If there are no dependents other than your wife that you'd be sponsoring, then your pay stub, bank statement, letter from employer is sufficient if you don't have Notice of Assessment. There is no low income cut-off either.

Reactions: AlmostThere2

JUSTme81

Jun 26, 2023
Before I dive into the questions, a bit of context. We got married in Ontario in 2010, my wife is a Canadian citizen and was naturalised sometime in 2004. After marriage she moved to the UK with me and we lived together till June 2016 ( a year after our daughter was born). Due to health complications with our daughter my wife and daughter moved to Canada and stayed there till December 2021. Once restrictions were lifted on both ends we decided to live in the UK for the foreseable future.

I want to apply for Canadian PR status at the very least due to concerns around falling quality of life standards in the UK.... So I'm applying through the Family class (spousal sponsorship outside of Canada).

I have been visiting them since 2016 almost twice a year every year till Canada applied travel restrictions due to covid.
We own a house and car with both our names on the mortgage and other utility bills in Canada.

Questions I have:

1) My wife doesn't know the full date she became a naturalised Canadian citizen. Form IMM1334e asks for the full date and her citizenship card only shows the month and year. Short of searching the citizenship records which can take upto 15 months will just the month and year suffice? Do I also need to provide the UCI Client ID though there is no asterisk so I assume it's not mandatory?

2) My wife hasn't worked whilst she lived in Canada from 2016, as she was the primary caregiver for our daughter and relied on my income from the UK. How do we explain this in the Sponsorship form for Income? The plan is that I will apply for a job once in Canada or try to retain my employment in the UK via remote working (not sure what the implications of that will be). She does complete Canadian tax returns as our house in Canada is currently being rented out.

3) When should I apply for the policy check, should I submit that as part of the application, the guidelines aren't clear on this or may be I missed them altogether?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Before I dive into the questions, a bit of context. We got married in Ontario in 2010, my wife is a Canadian citizen and was naturalised sometime in 2004. After marriage she moved to the UK with me and we lived together till June 2016 ( a year after our daughter was born). Due to health complications with our daughter my wife and daughter moved to Canada and stayed there till December 2021. Once restrictions were lifted on both ends we decided to live in the UK for the foreseable future.

I want to apply for Canadian PR status at the very least due to concerns around falling quality of life standards in the UK.... So I'm applying through the Family class (spousal sponsorship outside of Canada).

I have been visiting them since 2016 almost twice a year every year till Canada applied travel restrictions due to covid.
We own a house and car with both our names on the mortgage and other utility bills in Canada.

Questions I have:

1) My wife doesn't know the full date she became a naturalised Canadian citizen. Form IMM1334e asks for the full date and her citizenship card only shows the month and year. Short of searching the citizenship records which can take upto 15 months will just the month and year suffice? Do I also need to provide the UCI Client ID though there is no asterisk so I assume it's not mandatory?

2) My wife hasn't worked whilst she lived in Canada from 2016, as she was the primary caregiver for our daughter and relied on my income from the UK. How do we explain this in the Sponsorship form for Income? The plan is that I will apply for a job once in Canada or try to retain my employment in the UK via remote working (not sure what the implications of that will be). She does complete Canadian tax returns as our house in Canada is currently being rented out.

3) When should I apply for the policy check, should I submit that as part of the application, the guidelines aren't clear on this or may be I missed them altogether?
To clarify: your intent now is to move to Canada and reside?

1) Just put the first of the month or some other day and a short note that your documentation does not have a date field. (It is rather stupid that the govt's own docs don't record thi and then they require it)

2) Short letter of epxplanation, that although spouse is sponsoring, you expect to work. Best to show savings, ownership of house, income, etc., but they will take into acct your ability to work. (Also good if she can indicate she can/would work)

3) In almost all cases you get the police check and include with application. You can double-check requirements for UK though.

JUSTme81

Jun 26, 2023
To clarify: your intent now is to move to Canada and reside?

1) Just put the first of the month or some other day and a short note that your documentation does not have a date field. (It is rather stupid that the govt's own docs don't record thi and then they require it)

2) Short letter of epxplanation, that although spouse is sponsoring, you expect to work. Best to show savings, ownership of house, income, etc., but they will take into acct your ability to work. (Also good if she can indicate she can/would work)

3) In almost all cases you get the police check and include with application. You can double-check requirements for UK though.
Yes, the intent is to reside in Canada, at the very least for the next 3 years as a minimum which is what most experts are saying it will take the UK to return to some sense of normalcy around inflation and interest rates but to name one factor...

1) Citizenship date: Yes, I was initially planning to do that, but based on past interactions with Canadian officials, I'm weary it might be deemed as providing incorrect details and be cause for rejection. So what do others do in this situation? Why it takes 15 months to pull citizenship record details when you just need the full date is beyond me.

2) Since our daughter is already a dual national, I'm not sure if she needs to be considered on the income table. We do have some savings in Canadian accounts. I could transfer some funds over from the UK as well to bide us over till I get a job. I can start looking into remote work jobs or will have to wait for the PR to come through as we'll be living in a border town to the US and most of my industry peers work in the US as the salary is significantly higher.

She did work in Canada prior to getting married, I suppose that is something we can look into it.

3) UK police checks take around a month. Hope to have it submitted by the end of this month.

4) Another thing I forgot to ask, given the length of time we have been married albeit apart (not separated) due to duaghter's health, I haven't given any consideration to what evidence to provide. I do have photos spanning 13 years of our marriage, phone logs are a problem as the world has switched to whatsapp... any guidance her would be appreciated.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
1) Citizenship date: Yes, I was initially planning to do that, but based on past interactions with Canadian officials, I'm weary it might be deemed as providing incorrect details and be cause for rejection. So what do others do in this situation? Why it takes 15 months to pull citizenship record details when you just need the full date is beyond me.
You will be fine doing as I suggested, it's a known thing that the naturalization/citizenship certificates don't show day date.

2) Since our daughter is already a dual national, I'm not sure if she needs to be considered on the income table. We do have some savings in Canadian accounts. I could transfer some funds over from the UK as well to bide us over till I get a job. I can start looking into remote work jobs or will have to wait for the PR to come through as we'll be living in a border town to the US and most of my industry peers work in the US as the salary is significantly higher.
For spousal apps, there are not formal minimum amounts that need to be met. Just write a letter explaining, show some savings and that you're working now, one or both of you will work as needed.

4) Another thing I forgot to ask, given the length of time we have been married albeit apart (not separated) due to duaghter's health, I haven't given any consideration to what evidence to provide. I do have photos spanning 13 years of our marriage, phone logs are a problem as the world has switched to whatsapp... any guidance her would be appreciated.
Look at the checklist. Given child and length of marriage, you don't really need to worry about this part, just do the basics of what they ask for.

Loveisintheair

Jun 30, 2018
Hello Everyone,
Just wanted to ask few questions I got married in Dubai recently and my wife stays in kuwait with Pakistani nationality. My question is what document should I use from all three countries Dubai, kuwait and Pakistan? Should i apply for her online or paper which one is fast? Can i also apply for visit visa mean while? She also got refused for visit visa once when i was engaged with her? If anyone can guide it will be a great help. Thank you everyone.

April_19th

Jun 16, 2023
Good day everyone.
Am new here and I need your professional advice for spouse sponsorship application.
My wife just got her PR early this month. She is eager to sponsor me as early as possible because am living outside Canada .
Please what are the documents she need to.provide for the application and which documents do I need to provide to support my application, as we are both naive of the process and we don't want to take any chances. I will appreciate if anyone can help me out or refer me to any previous post which I can read for proper understanding
Thanks you all.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Good day everyone.
Am new here and I need your professional advice for spouse sponsorship application.
My wife just got her PR early this month. She is eager to sponsor me as early as possible because am living outside Canada .
Please what are the documents she need to.provide for the application and which documents do I need to provide to support my application, as we are both naive of the process and we don't want to take any chances. I will appreciate if anyone can help me out or refer me to any previous post which I can read for proper understanding
Thanks you all.
You have posed this same question twice on this forum in the past week, with no replies. What that tells me is that no one here is inclined to spend a couple of hours setting out for you the process in detail. There are detailed instructions on the IRCC website. I suggest you start there and start working through the forms and all that is required will be revealed.

People here are very helpful, but I think most expect you to start off making some effort on your own. If you have specific questions once into the process, then come here and ask. But I doubt you will find anyone here willing to hold your hand every step of the way.

Here's a place to start:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship.html

Reactions: armoured

vky0123

Star Member
Jun 1, 2023
Can anyone please guide me i have submitted my Nadra Marriage registration certificate only do i have to submit the Urdu Nikkah Nama as well? Also do i have to translate it or just submit as it is on Urdu? Please guide

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Can anyone please guide me i have submitted my Nadra Marriage registration certificate only do i have to submit the Urdu Nikkah Nama as well? Also do i have to translate it or just submit as it is on Urdu? Please guide
I guess you were answered there: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/spousal-sponsorship-pakistan-london-visa-office.203899/post-10524328

But to re-confirm. If you read the application guide, in country specific section, it clearly mentions that you have to send/upload scanned copies of the following:
1- Original Nikah Nama in Urdu (2pages)
2- Translation of Nikah Nama in English (2pages) + An Affidavit from the translator that they are bonafide translator (which means, you can just simply translate the Nikah Nama yourself in MS-Word and attach it. Nope!)
3- Nadra's Computerized Marriage Certificate in English

These 3 documents will complete the set of docs required by CIC in marriage docs section.

@ali@hus

Aug 13, 2022
She can apply for a TRV, yes. There is no way to 'convert' it to inland, but she can advise of change of address and land virtually. Under new announced procedures it's possible may be eligible for work permit, but not much clarity on how that works.

To become an inland app she'd have to withdraw and reapply. Since the only significant difference is the work permit (possibility), probably not worth it. YMMV.

Ritual reminder that being here on a trv does not incorporate health insurance.
If gets a visitor record in the airport she will hv a medical insurance.