+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Thanks for your kind advice...can you or anyone know if i need to pay biometrics fees again for spousal sponsorship if she has already done biometrics in past for a visitor visa
You can use the link to which @Canada2020eh directed you. You will be asked for the UCI # etc. used when she applied for TRV.

My guess is she will have to do biometrics again. I used to believe that biometrics are good for 10 years. That's only partly true. Biometrics given for TRV are good for 10 years when applying for a subsequent TRV. They can't be used for a spousal PR application. That's what I recall reading when my wife submitted her PR application online last November and we researched the issue. However, at that time, the IRCC was still applying a policy brought in during the height of the Covid restrictions, under which they waived the requirement for PR applicants to get new biometrics if they had biometrics done for a TRV within the last 10 years. My wife did not have to do over, since she had biometrics done for a TRV in 2020. But, I doubt that policy is still in effect.

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
Hi,

I am finalising the spousal sponsorship application. My sponsor is Canadian citizen living outside Canada, I am EU citizen living outside Canada, we are planning to live in Quebec once I get PR.

CHECKLIST 5533:
Part B Point 5 - Employment / source of income: Do not complete this section if you are a Quebec resident.
The sponsor currently lives outside of Canada, but we are planning to move to Quebec. So, do we need to provide Employment / source of income proof or not?

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Hi,

I am finalising the spousal sponsorship application. My sponsor is Canadian citizen living outside Canada, I am EU citizen living outside Canada, we are planning to live in Quebec once I get PR.

CHECKLIST 5533:
Part B Point 5 - Employment / source of income: Do not complete this section if you are a Quebec resident.
The sponsor currently lives outside of Canada, but we are planning to move to Quebec. So, do we need to provide Employment / source of income proof or not?
The passage you have quoted would appear to answer the question. It does not say: Do not complete this section if you intend to be a Quebec resident.

hoangnguyen864

Star Member
Apr 21, 2023
Permanent Residence
  1. We received your application for permanent residence on July 03, 2022.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on September 13, 2022.
  3. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on October 17, 2022.
  4. We started processing your application on September 10, 2022.
  5. We sent you medical instructions on December 5, 2022. To avoid delays, please provide us the information requested in the letter as soon as possible. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
  6. Medical results have been received.
I have not received any email until now.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Permanent Residence
  1. We received your application for permanent residence on July 03, 2022.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on September 13, 2022.
  3. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on October 17, 2022.
  4. We started processing your application on September 10, 2022.
  5. We sent you medical instructions on December 5, 2022. To avoid delays, please provide us the information requested in the letter as soon as possible. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
  6. Medical results have been received.
I have not received any email until now.
@canuck78 gave you a courteous and informative reply to to this same question posted yesterday. You have seen fit to post it about 4 more times and received replies on at least one of those occasions. Do you intended to keep posting the same query here and there on the forum until someone gives you a response you like? Besides, you are not really asking a question. You are simply recording your observation that you have received no email. Thank you for sharing that. To the extent a reply was appropriate, @canuck78 has supplied that.

Reactions: armoured

hoangnguyen864

Star Member
Apr 21, 2023
Let me ask for a health check on the spousal insurance scheme. It's been 4 months since I checked my health and I haven't heard any more news. sponsoring foreigner canada

Mikey Jr.

Apr 23, 2023
So I have a Thai wife. I went to Thailand a few months ago and got married. She has also been to Canada last year to see me. She has a 10 year Canadian visitor visa.

Now the next step for us is that she comes to Canada, and we apply for her PR in Canada.

But I'm worried that I'm missing something when she gets to immigration. I bought her a one way ticket already. But will CBSA stop her at the border? Like, do we need some paper saying that she will apply for PR? Or can she just come in freely and we will apply? I'm just worried CBSA will see her one way ticket and think she will stay here illegally or something?

Should I buy a ticket leaving Toronto dated for 6 months from now?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
So I have a Thai wife. I went to Thailand a few months ago and got married. She has also been to Canada last year to see me. She has a 10 year Canadian visitor visa.

Now the next step for us is that she comes to Canada, and we apply for her PR in Canada.

But I'm worried that I'm missing something when she gets to immigration. I bought her a one way ticket already. But will CBSA stop her at the border? Like, do we need some paper saying that she will apply for PR? Or can she just come in freely and we will apply? I'm just worried CBSA will see her one way ticket and think she will stay here illegally or something?

Should I buy a ticket leaving Toronto dated for 6 months from now?
Her purpose in coming to Canada is to visit you, if they ask about applying for PR while here answer truthfully, there is nothing wrong with that either. She already has a visa, she is allowed to stay for 6 months unless they say otherwise. Not very often they ask to see a return ticket.

Adrian Timm

Star Member
Feb 24, 2023
Her purpose in coming to Canada is to visit you, if they ask about applying for PR while here answer truthfully, there is nothing wrong with that either. She already has a visa, she is allowed to stay for 6 months unless they say otherwise. Not very often they ask to see a return ticket.
That’s correct. My wife also came from Thailand with that very same vias.
Once your application is received and the temp application number is given, she will then have an” implied status “ and she doesn’t have to leave. Then the wait starts, waiting and waiting . Good luck!

Reactions: Mikey Jr.

Mikey Jr.

Apr 23, 2023
Not very often you said. But is it possible?
Sorry for asking haha. If they do ask, and she didn't have one, would they deny her entry?

That’s correct. My wife also came from Thailand with that very same vias.
Once your application is received and the temp application number is given, she will then have an” implied status “ and she doesn’t have to leave. Then the wait starts, waiting and waiting . Good luck!
When she came, did you buy a round trip ticket? Or did you buy a one way ticket?
Did the immigration officer talk to her at all?
I'm assuming you started the application when she landed in Canada, right?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Not very often you said. But is it possible?
Sorry for asking haha. If they do ask, and she didn't have one, would they deny her entry?

When she came, did you buy a round trip ticket? Or did you buy a one way ticket?
Did the immigration officer talk to her at all?
I'm assuming you started the application when she landed in Canada, right?
Anything is possible and they probably would not deny entry. Nobody can give you definite answers when you are dealing with something that isn't black and white and is up to the Immigration officer to decide if they ask the questions.

Last edited:

Mikey Jr.

Apr 23, 2023
Anything is possible and they probably would not deny entry. Nobody can give you definite answers when you are dealing with something that isn't black and white and is up to the Immigration officer to decide if they ask the questions.
Yeah you're right. I wish there was a black and white answer lol.

Her being denied and having to go back home on a 30 hour transit after just getting off of one would be a disaster.

I think I'll just take the hit and buy a return ticket. Yeah, i'll be out like a thousand bucks, but I guess thats the cost of this whole thing. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Adrian Timm

Star Member
Feb 24, 2023
Yeah you're right. I wish there was a black and white answer lol.

Her being denied and having to go back home on a 30 hour transit after just getting off of one would be a disaster.

I think I'll just take the hit and buy a return ticket. Yeah, i'll be out like a thousand bucks, but I guess thats the cost of this whole thing. I would rather be safe than sorry.
I didn’t have a return ticket for her, but we were also in a lot of co-vid stuff then also. Flew in through Amsterdam, and they shut down again the next day.
Nothing was asked here at all, but like mentioned, it’s all a guess

Mikey Jr.

Apr 23, 2023
I didn’t have a return ticket for her, but we were also in a lot of co-vid stuff then also. Flew in through Amsterdam, and they shut down again the next day.
Nothing was asked here at all, but like mentioned, it’s all a guess
When she came to Canada for the first time, literally no one talked to her. She just scanned her passport and that was it. She was through lol. This was back in August of last year. But she did have a return ticket.

So yeah, I dunno. Screw it. I don't need the stress lol.