+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey, is there any difference in which section we submit additional documents ? I've already maxed out Document name : "Document Checklist" and "Proof of Relationship to Sponsor" and now just adding everything under "Other" but still have quite a few more things to upload to finalize the requirements of IMM 5589.
Hopefully you are focusing on quality, over quantity.

Many applicants for spousal sponsorship feel the need to throw `everything' into the virtual box of `stuff' that is sent to IRCC. The truth is...most of us go waaaaaay overboard. Besides, if IRCC needs anything more than you have sent, and as long it was not an actual omission of something specifically required (i.e. copy of marriage cert) they will ask for more.

Good luck!

Last edited:

phoenix232

Apr 3, 2015
HI
Appreciate if anyone could answer

Can I apply for spousal PR ( inland ) without PCC ? PCC from India is taking approx 6 weeks and I was thinking of sending the application without it and then upload PCC onto portal once I have it.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
HI

Can I apply for spousal PR ( inland ) without PCC ? PCC from India is taking approx 6 weeks and I was thinking of sending the application without it and then upload PCC onto portal once I have it.
Unless someone who has actual experience provides an answer, the best the rest of can do is guess.

When my wife and I were putting together her outland application, we were faced with the same issue. She needed a pcc from her home country, Philippines. We had that to hand. She also required one from Hong Kong. The IRCC instructions and guide advised that for a Hong Kong pcc, we would have to file her PR application and await instructions from the IRCC, then send those instructions to Hong Kong, along with Hong Kong pcc application form. So, it was not a problem not having it when filing. Next, she required a pcc from the United Arab Emirates, issued by Dubai police. It was clear from the checklist that the IRCC expected it would be sent with her PR application. We had been working on getting it, but the process was time-consuming and difficult.

Our document checklist advised that, if any required documents were not submitted with the application, we should provide an explanation. We debated sending the PR application without the Dubai pcc, explaining the difficulty and saying we would send it when received, just as you are proposing. We wanted to get her application in as soon as possible, to get into the queue, so to speak. In the end, we chickened out and decided to wait. We had heard horror stories about applications being returned as incomplete, for the slightest defect, and the time lost. We worried that, even if no one looked at her application for 3 months and we sent the pcc in after 2 months, we would still be told the application was not complete when received and we would have to start again, meaning maybe a time loss of 3 months or more. I posed the question here on the forum, as you have, and got no answer.

Maybe someone here has done exactly as you propose and it worked out. Maybe someone tried that and had their application returned. Maybe someone with either experience will respond. For us, we just found it too risky. So, we lost quite a bit of time, including the time eventually taken for us to travel from the Philippines to Dubai to get the damn thing in person. We then sent it with her PR application.

Deividas

Star Member
Apr 3, 2023
Unless someone who has actual experience provides an answer, the best the rest of can do is guess.

When my wife and I were putting together her outland application, we were faced with the same issue. She needed a pcc from her home country, Philippines. We had that to hand. She also required one from Hong Kong. The IRCC instructions and guide advised that for a Hong Kong pcc, we would have to file her PR application and await instructions from the IRCC, then send those instructions to Hong Kong, along with Hong Kong pcc application form. So, it was not a problem not having it when filing. Next, she required a pcc from the United Arab Emirates, issued by Dubai police. It was clear from the checklist that the IRCC expected it would be sent with her PR application. We had been working on getting it, but the process was time-consuming and difficult.

Our document checklist advised that, if any required documents were not submitted with the application, we should provide an explanation. We debated sending the PR application without the Dubai pcc, explaining the difficulty and saying we would send it when received, just as you are proposing. We wanted to get her application in as soon as possible, to get into the queue, so to speak. In the end, we chickened out and decided to wait. We had heard horror stories about applications being returned as incomplete, for the slightest defect, and the time lost. We worried that, even if no one looked at her application for 3 months and we sent the pcc in after 2 months, we would still be told the application was not complete when received and we would have to start again, meaning maybe a time loss of 3 months or more. I posed the question here on the forum, as you have, and got no answer.

Maybe someone here has done exactly as you propose and it worked out. Maybe someone tried that and had their application returned. Maybe someone with either experience will respond. For us, we just found it too risky. So, we lost quite a bit of time, including the time eventually taken for us to travel from the Philippines to Dubai to get the damn thing in person. We then sent it with her PR application.
Yes, this is one of those grey zones with no real answer. By Default you can submit your application without Police Certificate and then provide it a later date, However to do so you must:
  • show proof that you requested a police certificate from the correct authorities and
  • write a letter explaining all the efforts you have taken to get one
While first stage is easy, second one is where it gets complicated. Simply not wanting to wait 6 weeks most likely won't be a strong case to satisfy that.

At the end of the day, first they check the sponsor, then they check you and police certificate is a top priority, so out of all the documents I think this is the one where it's best to have it ready and rushing without is just not worth it.

Reactions: Kaibigan

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Yes, this is one of those grey zones with no real answer. By Default you can submit your application without Police Certificate and then provide it a later date, However to do so you must:
  • show proof that you requested a police certificate from the correct authorities and
  • write a letter explaining all the efforts you have taken to get one
While first stage is easy, second one is where it gets complicated. Simply not wanting to wait 6 weeks most likely won't be a strong case to satisfy that.

At the end of the day, first they check the sponsor, then they check you and police certificate is a top priority, so out of all the documents I think this is the one where it's best to have it ready and rushing without is just not worth it.
I agree with this post. And yes, as I said, we considered going the letter of explanation route. But, although we could show that we had been met with various obstacles in trying to procure the Dubai pcc, we also considered that we might be expected to show a near impossibility. In our situation, getting it was a challenge, but we never really saw it as impossible or hopeless. Just difficult and time consuming. We were not sure that would be met with much sympathy. So we decided to wait to file. The only sure way to break the logjam in our case was to bite the bullet and spend the time and money to make a pilgrimage to Dubai. As things turned out, we accomplished the mission and made a bit of a vacation out of it. But it did cost us time in terms of getting the PR application filed.

mvk88

Star Member
Mar 1, 2023
HI

I applied for inland in Feb 2023 without the police certificate ,my application got returned because I didn't have my police certificate. I wouldn't waste my time applying for it unless you have everything..I applied in Feb 5 and my application got returned in Mar 14..it took me 3 weeks to get the police clearance.

Reactions: ERCAN

Charbk

Star Member
Feb 11, 2023
Category........
FSW
HI

If it’s a requirement, don’t file without it. They will return your application and you start all over again in the queue. Wait to obtain it then apply.

phoenix232

Apr 3, 2015
I applied for inland in Feb 2023 without the police certificate ,my application got returned because I didn't have my police certificate. I wouldn't waste my time applying for it unless you have everything..I applied in Feb 5 and my application got returned in Mar 14..it took me 3 weeks to get the police clearance.

If it’s a requirement, don’t file without it. They will return your application and you start all over again in the queue. Wait to obtain it then apply.
Thank you all for your inputs, I guess i'll wait for the PCC.
Meanwhile I'll fill all the forms and get the ready to upload all at once

Last edited:

Flyingfast

Feb 9, 2022
Thank you all for your inputs, I guess i'll wait for the PCC.
Meanwhile I'll fill all the forms and get the ready to upload all at once
Follow the instructions to the word. Include everything they ask for, including the checklist. Make sure to write N/A in parts that don't apply to you (Again as per the instructions) and for any details you cannot provide you need to include a letter of explanation. If you leave out any document or even forget to answer one question correctly, they will return the application. Best advise it to triple check everything against the instructions and check list before you submit.

Reactions: phoenix232

Deividas

Star Member
Apr 3, 2023
Hey guys, has anyone been in a similar situation:

IMM 5589 Question Part B 5 : Employment / Source of Income

option "If you're not working"

Would simply showing them that we have enough savings to survive until we both find job will be enough ?

I know there is no income threshold, but nothing about savings. So wondering how they decide then what is sufficient ?

Do they apply same rules as for express entry.?

bbayaka

Oct 18, 2022
Hello,
My application got approved but i am still waiting for my eCOPR. My visitor status is going to expire end of May. I've applied to extension but haven't heard anything back yet. If i don't get any reply when my visitor status expires end of May, would i be out of status? Or should i be fine, since i applied for extension already?

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
Hi, I have recently submitted an outland SS app, I have a few questions re next steps:

1. what is the difference between the GCkey account and the PR tracker? Do I need to wait for AOR before setting up both?
2. who receives the AOR email, the PA or sponsor or both?
3. I (PA) changing my passport soon, do I send the new passport scan immediately or wait until I receive AOR? How do I communicate this to IRCC? If via webform, I guess it is best I also send an update via GCkey account once I receive AOR as I believe communications via GCkey account are faster?
4. What other changes/updates do I need to keep IRCC informed of? country of residence and employment status, anything else?

Charbk

Star Member
Feb 11, 2023
Category........
FSW
Hi, I have recently submitted an outland SS app, I have a few questions re next steps:

1. what is the difference between the GCkey account and the PR tracker? Do I need to wait for AOR before setting up both?
2. who receives the AOR email, the PA or sponsor or both?
3. I (PA) changing my passport soon, do I send the new passport scan immediately or wait until I receive AOR? How do I communicate this to IRCC? If via webform, I guess it is best I also send an update via GCkey account once I receive AOR as I believe communications via GCkey account are faster?
4. What other changes/updates do I need to keep IRCC informed of? country of residence and employment status, anything else?
1. GCkey is where they will send you request letters + details instructing you what to do next. It also keeps you updated as to what’s completed and what’s in progress. The tracker is really only just that: a tracker to say what’s in progress and completed. Some say the tracker isn’t all that reliable. You need the UCI to create account for both.
2. The sponsor receives AOR
3. Correct, gckey
4. Address etc. Basically any change in your situation that’s relevant to your application.

bbayaka

Oct 18, 2022
Hello,
My application got approved but i am still waiting for my eCOPR. My visitor status is going to expire end of May. I've applied to extension but haven't heard anything back yet. If i don't get any reply when my visitor status expires end of May, would i be out of status? Or should i be fine, since i applied for extension already?

Does anyone know the answer?