+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, and wanna ask some questions about my application(Inland, married, sponser is PR, applicant is holding a work visa).

Application submitted Nov 30 ,2022
Temporary file number Dec 2, 2022
Returned Dec 6, 2022 (miss one document)
Resubmitted Dec 6, 2022
AOR Dec 8, 2022

Above is my very short timeline so far:p
Are we able to submit OWP application with the file number now? How long does it take to get the OWP approved?
Thank you.
Yes you can, since you now have AOR which is the requirement for an Inland applicant (that still has legal status in Canada).

No idea how long it's taking, sorry.

AstroHoney97

Nov 7, 2022
Toronto
Greetings everybody,

My Husband and I submitted my application online to sponsor me two weeks ago and we just received the AOR along with the medical exam.

When we paid the fees using the fee wizard calculator online, we opted to pay for the following:
Sponsorship fee ($75),
Principal applicant processing fee ($490)
Right of permanent residence fee ($515)
Work permit (including extensions) – per person ($155)
Open work permit holder ($100)

So, my Questions are;
1. Since We paid for the work permit and open work permit holder, we were wondering if the agent/officer presiding over my application will process the work permit or will we have to apply on my own?

2. If We do have to have to apply on our own for my work permit can we submit it by paper or do we have to submit it online?

Thank you so much any guidance will be deeply appreciated.

Ashan Perera

Star Member
Aug 2, 2016
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, and wanna ask some questions about my application(Inland, married, sponser is PR, applicant is holding a work visa).

Application submitted Nov 30 ,2022
Temporary file number Dec 2, 2022
Returned Dec 6, 2022 (miss one document)
Resubmitted Dec 6, 2022
AOR Dec 8, 2022

Above is my very short timeline so far:p
Are we able to submit OWP application with the file number now? How long does it take to get the OWP approved?
Thank you.
Hi,

Which document you missed to submit?
Did they reject your file or just asked for the missing document?

Last edited:

Nav Reet

Jul 30, 2016
Hi Everyone!
I have sponsored my spouse (Outland) and received Pre arrival request on Oct 13, I am desperately waiting for passport request since then. How long it generally takes
Here is the timeline:
Application submission- May 01 2022
Aor - August 09, 2022
Biometric request - August 09, 2022
Medical Request - August 10, 2022
Sponsor eligibility - August 12, 2022
Medical submitted- August 29, 2022
Medical passed- Sep 05 ,2020
PRE ARRIVAL REQUEST - OCT 13,2022
***A STRANGE REQUEST APPEARED ON AUGUST 2O, 2022 TO PROVIDE PCC OF HONG KONG, HOWEVER MY HUSBAND HAS NEVER BEEN THERE AS HE GOT HIS PASSPORT FIRST TIME IN MARCH 2022, IT WAS STRANGE BUT WE DID PAPERWORK AND IN NOVEMBER PCC WAS PROCESSED BY THEM THEY WILL MAIL THAT DIRECTLY TO VISA OFFICE SYDNEY***

NOW DESPERATELY WAITING FOR PASSPORT REQUEST!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
NOW DESPERATELY WAITING FOR PASSPORT REQUEST!
If this is NDVO, in certain periods in previous years there have been delays in issuing PPRs specifically for Delhi (and possibly other offices in India).

Short answer is that Indians are a HUGE number of student visas and they are tied to the start of the terms in January and September. The visa office simply may not be able to process all of the passports at once, and it seems they delay the PPRs for other types of visas in December.

This is my speculation, I can't confirm - except htat in previous years a lot of family sponsorship visas were issued in January (and September).

From posts here it seems there is a bit similar going on this year for Delhi.

Nav Reet

Jul 30, 2016
If this is NDVO, in certain periods in previous years there have been delays in issuing PPRs specifically for Delhi (and possibly other offices in India).

Short answer is that Indians are a HUGE number of student visas and they are tied to the start of the terms in January and September. The visa office simply may not be able to process all of the passports at once, and it seems they delay the PPRs for other types of visas in December.

This is my speculation, I can't confirm - except htat in previous years a lot of family sponsorship visas were issued in January (and September).

From posts here it seems there is a bit similar going on this year for Delhi.
THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR REPLY, I AM NOT SURE IF ITS WITH NDVO.

Nav Reet

Jul 30, 2016
If you are likely to submit your passport to NDVO or another indian visa office (i.e. they think you are in India), then you can assume that this might apply to you.
I AM IN CANADA BUT YES MY SPOUSE IS IN INDIA,IS IT SAME WITH CHANDIGARH VFS?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I AM IN CANADA BUT YES MY SPOUSE IS IN INDIA,IS IT SAME WITH CHANDIGARH VFS?
All of the vfs offices deliver to visa offices 'nearby', I believe it is likely to be the same thing for all visa offices in India.

Not trying to scare you, just provide info that I think corresponds to previous years.

Dec 8, 2022
Hi guys
does anyone have an experience giving biometrics? (photo and fingerprints)
how does all that work?
does my spouse have to go to an embassy ?
also does that happen after we submit application?
or it goes with an application?

Dec 8, 2022
s if you are self-employed AND one of these documents issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). As of February 28, 2020, Line 150 (Total Income) was changed to Line 15000. Notice of Assessments and Option C prints prior to 2019 will have Total Income listed as Line 150: • Your most recent Notice of Assessment. This must include line 15000 (Total Income), or • Proof of income statement (Option C).

If I am self employed
do I have to submit my latest tax return?
what if I missed last year ?
can it be year before?
for example now is 2022 can I submit my 2021 notice of assessments?

deesha vanik

Nov 30, 2022
So you are in the situation that you want to sponsor your foreign spouse for permanent residency of Canada and don't know where to start. Here are some tips:

Married, common law or conjugal partners

First you need to pick an application class. There are three of them: married, common-law and conjugal. For all of them, you need to prove the genuineity of your relationship. For common-law, you need to prove that you have lived together for 12 months or longer. For conjugal, you need to prove that you have combined your affairs as much as possible but there are real immigration barriers or other barriers preventing you from living together or getting married. Conjugal is the hardest to prove. For example, if your partner could get a visit visa to come to Canada for 6 months and then apply for an extension to get the full year, even though they will not be allowed to work, that is not considered an immigration barrier. An immigration barrier is if your partner tries to get a visit visa to come to Canada and is repeatedly refused. Some people have had luck with the conjugal class but try to avoid it if possible.

Outland or inland?

Now you need to decide if to apply outland or inland. If your spouse is not in Canada and can not get a visa to go to Canada, you must apply outland. That means that you will send your application to Mississauga and they will approve you as a sponsor. The time that takes is usually 1-2 months to but current processing times can be seen here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#sponsorship After that, the application is forwarded to your local visa office. If your spouse is residing in a country other than the country of their nationality, you can pick which of the two visa offices you want. Otherwise it will be processed in their country of nationality. You can see the processing times here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp

If your spouse is staying in Canada as a visitor or on some other visa, you can pick whether you want to apply outland or inland. Outland is generally faster and has appeal rights but a downside to outland is that if an interview is required, your spouse will have to travel to the visa office in the country where it's being processed. Inland has the downside that it's generally not advised that your spouse travels while you are waiting for your processing because it is a requirement of inland that they reside in Canada and if they are denied entry at the border for some reason, your application is gone. If an interview is required for inland, you may also have to wait a long time for it. The inland application would be sent to Vegreville and if all goes well, you would get a first stage approval, usually in 6 to 8 months. The current processing times can be seen here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#perm_res Then the file is forwarded to your local CIC office where you live and they will contact you for a landing appointment. Getting the PR with inland usually takes 12-18 months. If an interview is required for inland, Vegreville will not give first stage approval but instead will forward the application to the local CIC office without it and you will have to wait for them to have time for your interview. In some cases that can take a year or two. If you do get the first stage approval, your spouse will usually be eligible for health care and an open work permit. It is actually a good idea when applying inland to send an application form for a visit visa extension as well as the open work permit to be given at first stage approval all in one package so it's tied together.

Which method to pick depends on your situation. If your spouses country of nationality has a long processing time or your spouse does not want to have to travel there for a possible interview, then inland is the way to go. For faster processing and freedom of travel during the processing time, outland would be better. You can find the application forms for inland at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp and the application forms for outland at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Avoiding potential problems with your application

The most common reason for people to be called for an interview is that the visa officer has doubts about the relationship being genuine. It is up to you to send immigration some quality data, emails, chat logs, phone records, photos, letters and other material to prove to them that your relationship is the real thing. Other reasons you might have problems with is eligibility of the sponsor. The sponsor can not be on social assistance, can not be bankrupt and can not have a record of violent crimes or crimes against family members. If that is the case, better talk to a lawyer and get that cleared up before attempting to apply.

Dependent children

If your spouse has dependent children, they must be included in the PR application, even if they are not coming to Canada. They will need to have medicals as well to keep the option open to sponsor them later. The only way that immigration will accept the application without those medicals is if the children are no longer minors and refuse to have it or if the children are in the full custody of their other parent who refuses to make them available for medicals. In that case, your spouse needs to sign a statement stating that they know that they will never be able to sponsor these children to Canada in the future.

Dependent children are classified as single and either under 22 years of age or if they are older, they must have been full time students since before age 22 or dependent on their parent due to a disability or medical problem.

Refusals due to income and medicals

You will be asked to provide information about your income but you will not be denied to sponsor your spouse and dependent children because you do not make enough money. It is possible though that if you make absolutely no money at all that immigration may ask you how you plan to support yourselves.

Spouses and dependent children are also exempt from the clause about excessive demand on health care so you do not have to worry about them being refused for that reason.

Sponsoring your spouse while living in another country

If you are a Canadian citizen, you can sponsor your spouse without being in Canada but you do then have to prove that you are planning on moving to Canada when your spouse gets approved for permanent residency. Such proof can include having arranged jobs, being accepted to college, having arranged housing or letters from friends & relatives stating that they know of your plans and that you can stay with them while you look for housing etc.

If you are a PR, you must reside in Canada in order to sponsor your spouse. You can chance short vacations (remember that a Canadian vacation is generally no longer than 2 weeks) but if immigration finds out that you are not in Canada, you risk getting your application refused.
Hi Leon, as per you advise i applied online and got AOR for spousal application. after that i have already applied for work permit and even got a application number. can my husband stay in canada now. his visitor visa expires on 25th dec. please advise

Transporter

Dec 11, 2022
What does that mean guys, l got this email 1 week ago from embassy
Greetings,

Thank you for your email.

Please be advised that this file has been preliminarily assessed and is currently in the queue for the secondary review.

Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

Migration Section

mos6141

Dec 11, 2022
Hi,

I am just starting the process of the outland spousal sponsorship application for my wife (living abroad) .
Am i able to create the portal account and complete all of the forms on her behalf as long as the use of representative form as been completed?