+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Xxstreamer69xx

Star Member
Jul 27, 2022
Hi everyone
Is there a low income cut off for spousal sponsorship?
If someone has a part time job for a year, can they be a sponsor?
I do not believe there is any cut off. But you need to show them that you are financially stable to manage and sponsor. It can be your savings, job, any support you're receiving. Basically they want to make sure you don't depend on the government.

For your later question, you need to show your tax statement or t4 showing how much you earned in a year. That is why I believe they have the 1 year mark. It depends from case to case basis like are you a citizen, pr, international student etc. If you can show that you can support someone(in legal way) without depending on the government then I believe it should be fine.

Reactions: HeDidit

jm90

Jan 10, 2019
Hi, I applied online INLAND... I am a PR and applied only for my spouse.

Applied online... Aug 27 (Office Mississauga)
AOR ... Sep 9
Medical requested ... Sep 9
Medical complete and updated on PR tracker ... Sep 14
Pre-arrival letter ... Oct 12
(You have met the requirements for eligibility as a sponsor. The Application for Permanent
Residence (APR) for your relative will be processed separately and he/she will be contacted
shortly.) ... Oct 13

I wanted to ask what is this last letter? Also, why is everything happening so fast. It has not even been 2 months...
Just checked the tracker and it said
Eligibility Complete ... Oct 14.

So in all, biometrics, medical, and eligibility completed.

Now only thing pending is Background Verification which is in "Not Started" status.
Does anyone have an idea on general timelines for it? Is background only for police and security, or does this mean my marriage proof and all those documents are verified?

abhaybatta007

Sep 9, 2019
Hello Guys,

Hope you are doing well. Thanks for your help in advance.

I am permanent resident in Canada, I submitted inland sponsorship application for my wife on 9th October 2022. Today I received medical request for my wife. For that I received couple of questions.

1. In the email sent by IRCC, I can see application number for our application. But we are not able to register to the tracker.
2. Instead of sending medical request to PA's email, they sent medical request to sponsor's email, is that normal? When we submitted our application we received submission confirmation on PA's email.
3. We only received medical request, we did not receive any document or email which says we got AOR? When we will get the AOR? Who will receive the AOR sponsor or PA? Can we treat email containing medical doc as AOR?

Regards
Abhay

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Hi everyone. I am in the process of applying for Spousal Visa. I'm citizen. Once i get AOR, i guess i will have to apply for Open Work Permit?
Once she comes to Canada, does it still take 15-20 months for spouse's PR? Is it quicker if we dont apply for OWP and let them stay in home country?

fashiontart

Nov 18, 2021
Hi everyone. I am in the process of applying for Spousal Visa. I'm citizen. Once i get AOR, i guess i will have to apply for Open Work Permit?
Once she comes to Canada, does it still take 15-20 months for spouse's PR? Is it quicker if we dont apply for OWP and let them stay in home country?
You can only apply for an OWP if you apply inland. If you apply inland, your spouse has to stay in Canada while the file is being processed.

MJ1004

Feb 13, 2021
Just checked the tracker and it said
Eligibility Complete ... Oct 14.

So in all, biometrics, medical, and eligibility completed.

Now only thing pending is Background Verification which is in "Not Started" status.
Does anyone have an idea on general timelines for it? Is background only for police and security, or does this mean my marriage proof and all those documents are verified?
we are similar!, applied Online Inland spouse PR on Sep18,,

Hi, I applied online INLAND... I am a PR and applied only for my spouse. -> same with us

Applied online Sep 18
AOR & Medical pass with previous data Oct 10
Pre-arrival letter Oct 12
(You have met the requirements for eligibility as a sponsor. The Application for Permanent
Residence (APR) for your relative will be processed separately and he/she will be contacted
shortly.) Email Oct 13

not Eligibility pass yet, but already start Background check

took 1 and half year for mine tho my spouse's application really fast :)

Ste_Vege

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Yes, she can do that. Refusals to extensions are relatively rare esp for those who submit the sponsorship application before the extension request. (And actual removals for pending spouse applications more or less unheard of, well, unless something really wrong)

It is best at border if she is just coming for a visit of uncertain length. Do not outright lie of course; changing mind while in Canada is not illegal.

Note, it is far, far better if she arrives with normal amount of luggage etc for someone visiting, not with all worldly possessions.

Separate issue of you shipping your own household goods (if you have goods to follow that is).
What is the reason for not telling the border officer that my wife is entering to apply for inland spousal sponsorship?

TNBR

Star Member
Jul 28, 2022
App. Filed.......
March 15,2022
Med's Request
August 26,2022
Med's Done....
September 9, 2022
How long does it take to get the PR card after uploading the photo and address in the portal?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
What is the reason for not telling the border officer that my wife is entering to apply for inland spousal sponsorship?
Entrance under eta as formulated is to enter on a temporary basis. If you show up and say "I am here only for purpose of remaining forever", well, they can refuse entry (because they believe you do not intend to leave when required).

It's a bit more complicated than that (there is a concept known as dual intent), but for simplicity's stake (without 'lawyering'), it is simpler to say she is coming for a visit (even if date of return not finalized). If asked specifically, you can say you are considering applying to sponsor/be sponsored a PR, and maybe you will apply from within Canada [but this trip to visit and get used to place, figure some stuff out, whatever].

But of course will respect any limits on stay in Canada/leave when required. This does cover the eventuality/possibility that will apply to extend stay while PR is being processed, etc.

Reactions: Mrs_spiritus

garryrandhawa

Star Member
Jan 12, 2020
Hi everyone, can someone please help me with this:

I am sponsoring my husband(he is India and this is an outland spousal application). He does not have a birth certificate.

Can I give his class 10th certificate instead? Please post if anyone has done this or received their AOR after doing this. Help is much appreciated

1996kaur

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
Hi everyone, can someone please help me with this:

I am sponsoring my husband(he is India and this is an outland spousal application). He does not have a birth certificate.

Can I give his class 10th certificate instead? Please post if anyone has done this or received their AOR after doing this. Help is much appreciated
Hey, yes Voter ID, 10th, 12th marksheets are acceptable. Its on website if you search for country specific requirements and then check for India. You can in addition to this also add NO RECORD FOUND certificate by suvidha centre that he never had birth certificate (make sure to include other documents like marksheets and voter id)

manasvi_022

Star Member
Mar 2, 2020
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-09-2019
Hello foIks,

I received an update in PA's PR tracker today saying "We received your enquiry" in the timeline but we never made any enquiry. And says updated Oct.21st. But there's no actual update. Is it normal? Did anyone receive similar update in PR tracker?

I checked my(sponsor) tracker as well but there's nothing like that in it just today's date as last updated.

App. Submit: May 24th
BIO: Aug.31st
Med.: Sep.1st Completed: Sep.9th
SA: Sep.1st
AOR: Sep.1st
PA Eligibility Started: Sep.26th

Last edited:

theonegreatone

Star Member
Sep 22, 2019
Mumbai
Hi All,

I have a full time job since I became PR in Canada.

1. Is the Letter from employer detailing my income enough?
OR
2. Since my savings will be depleted due to upcoming expenses, Do I need to maintain the adequate amount as Proof Of Funds?
3. Also I plan to take a personal loan/line of credit, will this impact the documentation relating to Proof of funds?

Thanks in advance