+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

GL2019

Star Member
Jun 13, 2022
No-one meant that, no-one wrote that. Don't confuse things by saying other people are wrong or that something has changed.
ok mate chill we are all trying to help. I didn't say you are wrong, I was explaining what I know; no need to get worked up.

Regardless of what anyone says, no one should take anything on this forum at face value and should probably do their own research/seek professional help if they need it.

AM95.

Jul 15, 2022
Hey everyone,
This is my timeline below:

Application received Jan 19,2022
AOR: July 05
Biometrics and Medical Request: July 05
Pre-arrival letter: July 06
Eligibility completed: July 14
Biometrics completed: July 15
Medical completed: July 16
Biometrics received: July 18
Medical passed: July 25
Background shows not started

I know it varies for everyone but, from here how long does it usually take and what would be the next steps?

Parmeet kaur67

Star Member
May 16, 2018
Hello Wonderful people, when spouse’s application in process, can I travel outside canada to see him for a month or so? I am a permanent residence and as they say you have to be in canada to apply, do one need to stay in canada until the application is processed? Thanks

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello Wonderful people, when spouse’s application in process, can I travel outside canada to see him for a month or so? I am a permanent residence and as they say you have to be in canada to apply, do one need to stay in canada until the application is processed? Thanks
You need to be living in Canada while the applicantion is being processed. So short trip like a few weeks is OK.

You cannot move out of Canada and stay out for months.

sparkles_

Jun 26, 2020
You need to be living in Canada while the applicantion is being processed. So short trip like a few weeks is OK.

You cannot move out of Canada and stay out for months.
visiting is okay? is there any verbiage online that says it’s okay for the sponsor to leave for a bit for a trip during the application? i’ve seen a lot of verbiage on the applicant, and an individual on this forum was kind enough to confirm we can leave for short trips, although finding something online would bring me a bit of relief!! i’ve had no luck finding anything of the sort unfortunately

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
is there any verbiage online that says it’s okay for the sponsor to leave for a bit for a trip during the application? i’ve seen a lot of verbiage on the applicant, and an individual on this forum was kind enough to confirm we can leave for short trips, although finding something online would bring me a bit of relief!! i’ve had no luck finding anything of the sort unfortunately
Here's a thread with more info, discussion and post with a source:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/leaving-canada-temporarily-while-spouses-pr-outland-is-in-progress-sponser-being-pr-and-sponsorship-eligibility-is-approved.696170/page-4#post-9358435

You'll see that while enforcement may not be consistent, there are cases of apps refused because of this. There are even more where delays because PR-sponsor not in Canada (a few that are confirmed, more where apparent absence of sponsor seems to be the likely cause).

But as you'll see in the source: 'short trips' abroad are fine. No, they do not define.

richieP

Mar 8, 2022
Hello People,
I want to ask this, right now the spousal sponsorship shows 23 months for Outside Canada applicant.
Is that the actual timing? I mean it is very long time for Spouse to meet their better half!

Also in earlier post I ask about Online application Vs Postal application. Does anyone having experience applying online and getting faster result?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Everyone,

I need some advice!

I'm on a post-grad work permit in Canada, I haven't filed my PR application yet, since I'm still waiting for the next TR to PR or Express entry points rounds. I'm planning to get married, and my bf is in India, the actual issue is, that he was inadmissible for 5 years (from 2016 to 2021) for misrepresentation on his own work permit application, and his inadmissibility period ended in 2021. Now I'm confused about whether I should wait to get my PR before we get married and then sponsor him or should I get married first and then add him to my future PR application. Any pros/cons for both these options? What would be the best route for us? Is it easy to get a spousal work permit if you are on a temporary visa (work permit) like in my case if we don't wait until my PR?

Appreciate any input!
Since his inadmissibility period has been completed you can either get married now and include him in your application or get married after you get PR and then sponsor him. It's really your choice.

It's hard to comment what the outcomes may be of a spousal open work permit. No, I wouldn't say these are necessarily easy to get. Some people are certainly refused and refusals aren't unusual. The fact your bf was previously inadmissible to Canada due to misrepresentation may work against him in applying for a tem visa. Or it might not. Again, hard to guess what might happen.

Reactions: 2b.or.not.2b

sparkles_

Jun 26, 2020
Here's a thread with more info, discussion and post with a source:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/leaving-canada-temporarily-while-spouses-pr-outland-is-in-progress-sponser-being-pr-and-sponsorship-eligibility-is-approved.696170/page-4#post-9358435

You'll see that while enforcement may not be consistent, there are cases of apps refused because of this. There are even more where delays because PR-sponsor not in Canada (a few that are confirmed, more where apparent absence of sponsor seems to be the likely cause).

But as you'll see in the source: 'short trips' abroad are fine. No, they do not define.
thank you so much! my trip is literally going to be under 6 hours to help a pregnant friend shop at Target for baby clothes lol but I wanted to check & see if crossing the border, even for such a short period of time, would be risky (I would never put my partner at risk for this). I noticed someone wrote in the referenced thread that the sponsor needs to be in the country at the time of approval as well which no one knows when that will be.

edit: i think i’ll just cancel the trip. although it is an extremely short one, i don’t want to put my partner’s application at risk. we have worked so hard!!

thank you everyone for your help!!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I noticed someone wrote in the referenced thread that the sponsor needs to be in the country at the time of approval as well which no one knows when that will be.

edit: i think i’ll just cancel the trip. although it is an extremely short one, i don’t want to put my partner’s application at risk. we have worked so hard!!
I thnk that claim that the sponsor must be in country when approval happens is entirely unproven.

I don't think you should worry about a trip under two weeks - at all.

Reactions: sparkles_

charlesbroski

Star Member
May 19, 2022
Hi Everyone, here's my timeline so far sponsoring my spouse:

Applied Online: Feb 17, 2022
Applied for ATIP (GCMS Notes): May 9, 2022
Sponsor's AOR Email: May 11, 2022

Biometrics: RECEIVED
Background: COMPLETED - June 20, 2022
Medical: COMPLETED - June 6, 2022
Eligibility: COMPLETED - June 20, 2022
Pre-Arrival Services Email: June 21, 2022

Does anyone know how long it takes for COPR to show up?