+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am in India (outside Canada due to my mother's genuine illness backed by medical records hence can't apply for a PR card). ...
I guess my question is COPR is not enough for sponsoring my WIfe? Any advise is appreciated
PR card or not is not the issue - the issue is that you are not physically in nor resident in Canada.

Do NOT apply to sponsor until you are back physically in Canada to remain (departing only for short trips). Are you compliant with the resdiency obligation?

And dismiss your consultant - the COPR would be enough, but your consultant has failed to understand the most important part.

Nitin Shukla

Jul 16, 2017
PR card or not is not the issue - the issue is that you are not physically in nor resident in Canada.

Do NOT apply to sponsor until you are back physically in Canada to remain (departing only for short trips). Are you compliant with the resdiency obligation?

And dismiss your consultant - the COPR would be enough, but your consultant has failed to understand the most important part.
I actually have been out of Canada for over 330 days now. But i am still in compliancy with the Residency obligation (If i remember this correctly it was 2 years in the first 5 years? I have been in Canada for 372 days out of 3 years hence i have 2 years to complete 1 more year which I plan on completely spending in Canada). A new question arises however from your response. I have to apply for a PRTD since Canada POST did me real good by failing to deliver my card thrice. So is my PRTD application going to be affected by such a long stay out of Canada?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So is my PRTD application going to be affected by such a long stay out of Canada?
As long as you are in compliance, basically no. It may get a little more scrutiny but main thing is to show still in compliance.

Note: I'm getting the impression that a lot of PRTD applicants fill in the boxes about humanitarian and compssionate 'reasons' even when they are not out of compliance.

It's hard to know exaclty how IRCC reads these applications of course: butI think there is a serious risk that they split them into two piles (simple in compliance vs out of compliance and H&C reasons). And that if unclear, it gets thrown into the 'problem' pile.

In other words, apply so that there is no ambiguity whatsoever. Don't answer questions about why you deserve leniency if you don't need it.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
But i am still in compliancy with the Residency obligation (If i remember this correctly it was 2 years in the first 5 years? I have been in Canada for 372 days out of 3 years
In the first five years from day of landing (and after that, in any five year period from whatever date they are looking at the file) you must be OUT of Canada less than 1095 days [arithmetic restatement of IN Canada more than 730 days in five years]. After that, you do the math.

muditjhabak

Apr 13, 2022
Hello, I am wanting to apply for the spousal sponsorship for my wife. I have collected all documents and was wondering if anyone can provide a link to apply for this process online (if it even exists) instead of a paper based application. All help about these processes and tips regarding which one to apply is greatly appreciated

Nitin Shukla

Jul 16, 2017
As long as you are in compliance, basically no. It may get a little more scrutiny but main thing is to show still in compliance.

Note: I'm getting the impression that a lot of PRTD applicants fill in the boxes about humanitarian and compssionate 'reasons' even when they are not out of compliance.

It's hard to know exaclty how IRCC reads these applications of course: butI think there is a serious risk that they split them into two piles (simple in compliance vs out of compliance and H&C reasons). And that if unclear, it gets thrown into the 'problem' pile.

In other words, apply so that there is no ambiguity whatsoever. Don't answer questions about why you deserve leniency if you don't need it.
Thanks so much for such a detailed reply. You knocked some much needed sense and urgency into me. I got really caught up in my shit here. Really appreciate your help

Reactions: armoured

richieP

Mar 8, 2022
Hey Guys I have one question,
Is it advisable to apply for Spousal Application by Paper or using Online portal?
Is there any significant difference in that?

tsuji

Jun 2, 2022
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Hey everyone. Just looking to get some timelines on how long it took for DM/CoPR after all steps on the PR Tracker were marked as complete. Mine completed last Friday, and obviously IRCC doesn't work over the weekend, so roughly how long has it been taking people from BC completion to DM?

namushyuu

Star Member
Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I am about to apply PR for my spouse online who is out of Canada. Does the work permit apply only for the inland applicant or can I still apply for her open work permit?

Thanks in advance.

GL2019

Star Member
Jun 13, 2022
In the first five years from day of landing (and after that, in any five year period from whatever date they are looking at the file) you must be OUT of Canada less than 1095 days [arithmetic restatement of IN Canada more than 730 days in five years]. After that, you do the math.
I think I saw somewhere that this doesn't apply anymore. It is always 5 years back from the day you submit the application (Given you can apply for renewal after you card expires)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I think I saw somewhere that this doesn't apply anymore. It is always 5 years back from the day you submit the application (Given you can apply for renewal after you card expires)
I do not know what you are talking about. Nothing has changed. It has nothing to do with the card.

It is exactly as I wrote;
-first five years, it is from date of landing to the fifth year anniversary;
-after that, five years looking back from any date of examination.*

*Which you should calculate as day of submission in case of eg a PR card renewal, as that's what they require in the form I believe, but in actual fact for IRCC, they must calculate as at the day they actually examine your file.