+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Neels4777

Dec 13, 2021
Hello there ,
anyone here that has applied for inland with no status in canada? im going to apply soon and i was wondering if anyone got approved?

Ibtii10

Star Member
Oct 1, 2021
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Category........
VISIT
Hey everyone!

Did anyone receive a medical and RPRF reminder via email from cic? It was really odd since I received a medical request just 5 days ago via GCKey. And I paid RPRF before submitting the application and included the proof of payment in the application package

GL2019

Star Member
Jun 13, 2022
RO rule has not changed. What armoured wrote still apply.
I am pretty sure that is not the case; quoting below from official Canada Justice Law Website:
  • (b) it is sufficient for a permanent resident to demonstrate at examination
    • (i) if they have been a permanent resident for less than five years, that they will be able to meet the residency obligation in respect of the five-year period immediately after they became a permanent resident;
    • (ii) if they have been a permanent resident for five years or more, that they have met the residency obligation in respect of the five-year period immediately before the examination;

So basically if you want to renew the card before it expires (therefore you have been a PR for less than 5 years) then they look at the start data as your landing date; however, If you decide to wait and renew after expiry of your PR, then they will only look at the 5 years preceding the date of submission.

CGYMAAN87

Oct 26, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I need some advice!

I'm on a post-grad work permit in Canada, I haven't filed my PR application yet, since I'm still waiting for the next TR to PR or Express entry points rounds. I'm planning to get married, and my bf is in India, the actual issue is, that he was inadmissible for 5 years (from 2016 to 2021) for misrepresentation on his own work permit application, and his inadmissibility period ended in 2021. Now I'm confused about whether I should wait to get my PR before we get married and then sponsor him or should I get married first and then add him to my future PR application. Any pros/cons for both these options? What would be the best route for us? Is it easy to get a spousal work permit if you are on a temporary visa (work permit) like in my case if we don't wait until my PR?

Appreciate any input!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am pretty sure that is not the case
So basically if you want to renew the card before it expires (therefore you have been a PR for less than 5 years) then they look at the start data as your landing date; however, If you decide to wait and renew after expiry of your PR, then they will only look at the 5 years preceding the date of submission.
You're pretty sure WHAT is not the case? What are you saying has changed?

The part you cited above is what I said. Verbiage about the card renewal is irrelevant - residency obligation compliance applies as of any date of examination (including when applying for PR card renewal).

Reactions: YVR123

GL2019

Star Member
Jun 13, 2022
You're pretty sure WHAT is not the case? What are you saying has changed?

The part you cited above is what I said. Verbiage about the card renewal is irrelevant - residency obligation compliance applies as of any date of examination (including when applying for PR card renewal).
Yes exactly so all I am saying is if you renew past the expiry date of your PR, even if it is your first time, they look 5 years back from the day you submitted; not the day you landed

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes exactly so all I am saying is if you renew past the expiry date of your PR, even if it is your first time, they look 5 years back from the day you submitted; not the day you landed
This is exactly what we've said from the beginning of this circular discussion.

So why do you keep saying "I'm pretty sure that is not the case" and that "something else has changed"?

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Exactly what we all said... nothing has changed. It's a rolling 5 years to meet RO once you've past the 5 years mark from your landing date. That has nothing to do with the expiry of the PR card BTW.

GL2019

Star Member
Jun 13, 2022
This is exactly what we've said from the beginning of this circular discussion.

So why do you keep saying "I'm pretty sure that is not the case" and that "something else has changed"?
I thought you meant that they look at your landing date if you are renewing for first time regardless of when you submit the application. Wanted to clarify that they look 5 years back from date of submission if you are applying after 5 years mark from landing date (given they don't exactly force you to renew at a specific time). It might be useful for someone who is very close to not meeting residency obligation at 5 year mark so they can gain a few extra days before applying

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I thought you meant that they look at your landing date if you are renewing for first time regardless of when you submit the application. Wanted to clarify that they look 5 years back from date of submission if you are applying after 5 years mark from landing date (given they don't exactly force you to renew at a specific time). It might be useful for someone who is very close to not meeting residency obligation at 5 year mark so they can gain a few extra days before applying
It doesn't matter if it's your FIRST or SECOND or FIFTH time renewing. If you tried to fill in the application, you know what are the days that count toward the RO. It's 5 years from the date the applicantion is signed. If someone needs a few more days to meet RO, then they should stay in Canada and wait until they meet RO before they apply for renewal. You can live in Canada with an expired card (if they already have all their other IDs).

I think it may be a language issue. It's nothing about "gaining". It's all about waiting and make sure someone MEET RO before they apply for renewal.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I thought you meant that they look at your landing date if you are renewing for first time regardless of when you submit the application.
No-one meant that, no-one wrote that. Don't confuse things by saying other people are wrong or that something has changed.