+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

joyjoy

May 17, 2014
HI Leon and whoever can answer my inquiries,

I arrived in Canada on a conjugal sponsorship June 10, 2011. We stayed together for 2 years and she filed me as common law for tax purposes on 2012. Unfortunately it didn't work and we have broken up 10months ago. I have the following questions,

1. I just want to know how long i would be under her sponsorship? I was under the impression that it is 3 years.
2. Do i need to file my status, now im single? Im no longer filed as common law will that effect me in any way?
3. I met someone and we're together now, she's residing in the US with an F1 visa. It looks like this is for the long haul. Would it be possible to marry her, am i eligible since iam a landed immigrant under conjugal sponsorship? If so what are the steps we should take to make it possible?

thank you for taking time to read and your answers will be a big help to us

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
VPS said:
I have an issue. My parents are in Canada in visitors visa. My sister from US took their passports to the US and the original plan was to get the passport from my sister when they visit us in July. But now that my parents wants to travel to the US. Can my sister send the passport via courier from US to Canada? or can we send it through one of our friends?? Please advise...

Thanks
yes, of course the passports can be sent from us to canada. sending packages are pretty expensive. FedEx, DHL, UPS or the USPS are just a few you can try. I'm not quite clear as to why your parents passports are not with them where they are traveling. Seems a bit odd, especially if their visa for that country is in those passports. Otherwise, in order to leave, they would need to get their passports reissued through the embassy.

Ghanaboy

Apr 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Acra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-11-2012
Doc's Request.
13-12-2013
Med's Request
24-04-2014
Med's Done....
29-04-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-02-2015
LANDED..........
22-02-2015
few concerns:
after submitting all the requirements in my processing center,cic now requested a new schedule A should be filled
but my mistake is,when my spouse was filling the Schedule A,she made the elementary school 6 years instead of 9years cos that is how it is in my country,additionally,cic requested for my police report and medicals as well
1.what happens in case there are slight changes to the new schedule A with respect to the old one
2.what are my chances after all this request especially the police report and the medicals,is there any positive sign of going to be called soon for passport request?
please i need your advice

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
joyjoy said:
1. I just want to know how long i would be under her sponsorship? I was under the impression that it is 3 years.
Her sponsorship obligation would be three years from the date you landed (or the date you were granted early admission if applicable).

joyjoy said:
2. Do i need to file my status, now im single? Im no longer filed as common law will that effect me in any way?
Immigration status and tax status are not necessarily the same thing. If you were single on the last day of the tax year, you file your return as single.

joyjoy said:
3. I met someone and we're together now, she's residing in the US with an F1 visa. It looks like this is for the long haul. Would it be possible to marry her, am i eligible since iam a landed immigrant under conjugal sponsorship? If so what are the steps we should take to make it possible?
You can certainly marry her, but you are not eligible to sponsor at the present time. You will be eligible to sponsor on June 10, 2016. That is because you are barred from sponsoring a spouse/partner for a period of five years from your landing date when you were yourself sponsored in the same class.

She could apply under the H&C class, but that class takes years to process and is not guaranteed to be successful. If you wish to pursue this option, I would strongly suggest you speak with an experienced immigration attorney.

keeponwaiting22

Star Member
May 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does anybody know whether our spouses that we sponsor have to take an English test before they are given a PR card ?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
keeponwaiting22 said:
Does anybody know whether our spouses that we sponsor have to take an English test before they are given a PR card ?
I'm sure LOTS of people know the answer to this one. ;)

The answer (in case you were curious) is "no, there is no language requirement for a sponsored spouse/partner to become a permanent resident".

It is a good idea to speak French and/or English though, as it makes life in Canada easier.

Mrs.Purcy

Star Member
Apr 18, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-14
Med's Done....
01-24-14
Hi guys my husband sent in the application for sponsorship 6th of May so right now we are waiting for my sponsorship approval. I am quite nervous even though I have never been on welfare, been in trouble with the law, have never had a criminal past and am not a criminal I'm nervous for some reason I won't get approved.

I'm also sad because while the process happens, I am going back to toronto by myself without my irish husband and will need to wait until January for him to come back if he gets approved for pr. We are applying Outland, and his VO is in London UK. :( I don't know how I'll manage to be without him for that long..

How long does it take for London applicants usually? Our application is pretty straightforward and although he has been arrested in Canada he got a peace bond for assault and has no criminal charge or background and is not a criminal (we spoke to someone about this and they told us applying for immigration shouldn't be an issue especially since his peace bond will expire in September this year) I'm just nervous he won't get it? He was 100% honest in the application included everything from the police report to the peace bond and answeee questions truthfully like yes he was arrested, yes he had to stay the night in jail but wasn't charged, doesn't have a criminal record or background or conviction. Obviously the decision is out of our hands, but apart from that our application is very straight forward and we love each other and provided a lot of proof such as pictures we took vacationing, outings with friends together, dinners, parties, with my sister and his family, tickets, bank statements of our joint account, our monthly rent and proof that we are married, living together, letters, cards from friends and family, the fact that his sister flew 3,000 miles to come to our wedding to surprise us, and so much more. Tons of emails and texts, you name it. I'm jus really gonna miss him for 6-9 months and curious to know if he really won't get approved over a mistake he made? I am not sure what the London VO approval rate is either. But I'd like to be approved for sponsorship before I head back to toronto without him.

Caroline T.

Oct 19, 2013
Australia
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/202014
Med's Done....
01/11/2014
I am applying to sponser my partner as commonlaw, we have been living together for a year and 8 months, on the forms it asks what date did you become commonlaw? (not the date you started living together, the date you're status offically changed to commonlaw) I havent officially changed my status on anything yet, should I just put the date that's a year after the date that we started living together?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Caroline T. said:
I am applying to sponser my partner as commonlaw, we have been living together for a year and 8 months, on the forms it asks what date did you become commonlaw? (not the date you started living together, the date you're status offically changed to commonlaw) I havent officially changed my status on anything yet, should I just put the date that's a year after the date that we started living together?
Yes.

You should also update status with CRA though that's unrelated to immigration.

Caroline T.

Oct 19, 2013
Australia
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/202014
Med's Done....
01/11/2014
great thank you :) but it shouldnt matter to immirgartion that i havent changed my status yet?

KL0718

Jan 11, 2014
This is stupid but what constitutes a "family member"? I see things like "You and each of your family members 18 years of age or older must complete blah blah blah". Is it family that will be coming with me to Canada? Is it immediate family (parents, siblings, children) even if they will not be applying with me?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
KL0718 said:
This is stupid but what constitutes a "family member"? I see things like "You and each of your family members 18 years of age or older must complete blah blah blah". Is it family that will be coming with me to Canada? Is it immediate family (parents, siblings, children) even if they will not be applying with me?
Definitions from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/glossary.asp

Accompanying family member
Related term:
Accompanying dependant

A spouse, common-law partner, dependent child or dependent child of a dependent child (grandchild), who plans to immigrate to Canada with the principal applicant. Accompanying family members are included on the application.
Family members

An applicant's closest relatives, in the context of an application to CIC. It is defined as a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children.
As you didn't detail which form(s) you are discussing, that's all I can offer.

Matt.

May 2, 2014
Hi All,
I would like to send the sponsorship document. I live in Canada and my wife lives outside of Canada. She is here as a visitor for a while and she wants to perform the medical tests here in Canada.

Do I have to send the sponsorship documents first and then she goes to medical test or she has to go for medical test first and then I send the sponsorship application? After medical, do they give us a form that we have to put inside the application package that shows medical is done?

Thank you for your help

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Matt. said:
Hi All,
I would like to send the sponsorship document. I live in Canada and my wife lives outside of Canada. She is here as a visitor for a while and she wants to perform the medical tests here in Canada.

Do I have to send the sponsorship documents first and then she goes to medical test or she has to go for medical test first and then I send the sponsorship application? After medical, do they give us a form that we have to put inside the application package that shows medical is done?

Thank you for your help
you can do it either way. you can get the medical done upfront, and send it in with the application, or you can wait until they request it after receiving sponsorship approval. When you get them done at the doctor, they will enter the results into the CIC system, and will print out an "emedical" receipt. This will have your wife's personal information, picture and a barcode for CIC. When making the appointment, make sure they use this electronic system, because some doctors still use the old forms which are hand written, and you will need to bring the form with you to the exam. It's much easier to go to a doctor that uses the electronic emedical system.

Matt.

May 2, 2014
rhcohen2014 said:
you can do it either way. you can get the medical done upfront, and send it in with the application, or you can wait until they request it after receiving sponsorship approval. When you get them done at the doctor, they will enter the results into the CIC system, and will print out an "emedical" receipt. This will have your wife's personal information, picture and a barcode for CIC. When making the appointment, make sure they use this electronic system, because some doctors still use the old forms which are hand written, and you will need to bring the form with you to the exam. It's much easier to go to a doctor that uses the electronic emedical system.
So, I have to put that receipt inside the application package to show that we performed the test. Is that right?