+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

leor05

Nov 18, 2013
computergeek said:
There are no geographical restrictions for sponsoring someone via an Outland office (which means they can live in Canada).

Legally she is a foreign national and thus subject to inspection and review each time she enters Canada. But that has nothing to do with PR. What I would suggest is that she carry a copy of the sponsor approval letter with her. I'd also advise keeping visitor records (even though they technically expire each time she leaves Canada).
So as what I have understood, she can legally live here after I submitted my application? or we have to wait for CIC's reply ?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
leor05 said:
So as what I have understood, she can legally live here after I submitted my application? or we have to wait for CIC's reply ?
She can legally "visit" you in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
leor05 said:
When can she live in Canada?
Once all processing for the application has been completed, she has been approved as a PR - and she has "landed" in Canada and officially become a PR. Until then she is only allowed to visit. If her behaviour starts looking more that of someone who is living in Canada, she may start running into problems at the border. I don't think that commuting from Canada to the US daily for work is a realistic plan. Sooner or later I think she will run into problems. You'll need to have a back up plan in place in the event she's refused entry into Canada one day.

Shayreef

Apr 16, 2013
Hello,

I just had a question regarding the Police Certificates that an applicant must submit in order for the application to be approved ...

My wife has lived in Dubai (UAE) and Cairo (Egypt) since she was 18 for more then 6+ months ... We were able to get Police Certificates from both Countries but I just noticed this on the CIC website ...

The certificate must have been issued no more than three (3) months prior to submitting your application. If the original certificate is not in English or French, then you will need to submit both the certificate and the original copy of the translation prepared by an accredited translator.
The Police Certificate from Dubai that we have is older then 3 months but she has not lived in Dubai since she moved away 3.5 years ago -- It was extremely difficult getting a Police Certificate from Dubai (we waited nearly 1.5 months) and I am curious whether they will accept it or not. Is it possible to explain that the Police Certificate was hard to get and she has not lived in Dubai since that period? I know that the CIC also do their own background check and will be able to see that she has no criminal history in that country.

Or am I screwed and need to get another Police Certificate? Has anyone dealt with this issue before?

Also, in regards to getting documents that are not in English translated/certified ... What exactly does it mean to have the original document "certified" -- how can I get that done properly?

I appreciate your assistance. Thank you.

Shayreef

Sabrinkh

Oct 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-07-2013
AOR Received.
29-10-2013
Med's Done....
18-04-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-01-2014
I submitted a full application package in june but i didnt put my wedding photos or honeymoon photos in it because i hadnt had the wedding until july. We were legally married though just hadnt had the wedding reception yet. The application is currently in process at the VO in Cairo. Would it help if i mailed the pictures to them or should I wait until my husband is called to the interview and he can bring them with him? Suggestions anyone? Please help.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Shayreef said:
The Police Certificate from Dubai that we have is older then 3 months but she has not lived in Dubai since she moved away 3.5 years ago -- It was extremely difficult getting a Police Certificate from Dubai (we waited nearly 1.5 months) and I am curious whether they will accept it or not. Is it possible to explain that the Police Certificate was hard to get and she has not lived in Dubai since that period? I know that the CIC also do their own background check and will be able to see that she has no criminal history in that country.
In the end it will be the VO's discretion. If they are not happy that the PCC is "too old" they will ask you to get another one. I would suggest that you submit the old one and go request a new one once you have a file number, then send the new one to the VO - in that way you don't delay your application submission and if the VO insists on a new one you'll have already submitted it.

Shayreef said:
Also, in regards to getting documents that are not in English translated/certified ... What exactly does it mean to have the original document "certified" -- how can I get that done properly?
Normally it's not the original document that is certified, it is the translation of the original document that is certified. That is, the translator "certifies" that the translation is a true and faithful translation of the original document.

Well Wisher

May 23, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2012
Nomination.....
December 2012
AOR Received.
27-02-2013
File Transfer...
27-02-2013
Med's Request
03-03-2013
Med's Done....
13-03-2013
Passport Req..
03-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-07-2013
LANDED..........
20-07-2013
Hello,

I am Canadian PR and will be sponsoring my spouse for her PR (she is already in Canada on work permit). We got marriied last month in India and got marriage certificate from Registrar of marriage. One of my friend told me that I have to get this marriage certificate attested by Ministry of External affairs, New Delhi as this is the requirement by CIC, is it true.? Do I have to get it attested from somewhere as I was thinking to attach the original certificate with my application as I got 2 copies of marriage certificate from India. Please suggest, your suggestion would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
WellWisher

iamlost

Nov 2, 2013
Does the proof of relationship letter needs to be attested ? and the birth certificate ?
and for the passport size photos do we need to write anything behind them ?

litsa74

Sep 21, 2013
I need help because I am so confused with the difference of inland and outland application. Me and my fiance are planning to getting married and we live in Greece since we were kids. I am a canadian citizen since I was born in Montreal but I left Montreal when I was six. We want after our marriage to move to canada first as a visitor ( my fiance - future husband does not need visa to enter in canada as a greek citizen and as i know he can stay with me there 3 months.) At this time we want to apply for permant resident and work permition.
My questions are :
1. As we know we can apply outland if we are in canada but can he stay with me during the hole process time of our application been completed?
2. Can he get his work permition before becoming pr , for example in first stage?( he has finish only high school , he isn't consider as a skilled worker)
3. If we gather all the papers we need for our application before entering canada , translated in English , can we bring them together with us in our handbags or in our laptop's bags will there be a problem if they check us at the airport?or it is better to send them from greece to canada by courier or post?You see we will enter to canada as visitors. I won't have a problem as Canadian citizen but he maybe has.
4. If we send the file with the applications and documents from Greece to the immigration applying outland can we flight and stay in canda in order to find a place to stay and me to find a job until the proccess ends?Can he ask to expand his visitor visa with the excuse that we have applied for his pr?We are affraid to apply inland because he cann't travel freely if something happens to his family in greece or visit his brother , who stays in las Vegas.
You see we dont want to waste time. We want the time our application is in process , i can find job , house to live e.t.c If we wait here in Greece we will lose almost a year until the final decision.
5. I was born in Montreal as I said , can I apply to become sponsor of my husband and resine in Toronto?we dont want to go to montreal because we dont know french and the possibilities of finding jobs is redusing.

leor05

Nov 18, 2013
scylla said:
Once all processing for the application has been completed, she has been approved as a PR - and she has "landed" in Canada and officially become a PR. Until then she is only allowed to visit. If her behaviour starts looking more that of someone who is living in Canada, she may start running into problems at the border. I don't think that commuting from Canada to the US daily for work is a realistic plan. Sooner or later I think she will run into problems. You'll need to have a back up plan in place in the event she's refused entry into Canada one day.
Thank you for this info. I am not sure what else to do in terms of living together because I am also not able to live in US as I am just a visitor "tourist visa" although she already filled to petition me to go there but it will not also happened anytime soon.

On the side note will I loose my residency here in Canada if I will be granted Residency in US?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
litsa74 said:
1. As we know we can apply outland if we are in canada but can he stay with me during the hole process time of our application been completed?
He will be subject to normal examination, but normally CIC will permit him to remain.

litsa74 said:
2. Can he get his work permition before becoming pr , for example in first stage?( he has finish only high school , he isn't consider as a skilled worker)
No.

litsa74 said:
3. If we gather all the papers we need for our application before entering canada , translated in English , can we bring them together with us in our handbags or in our laptop's bags will there be a problem if they check us at the airport?or it is better to send them from greece to canada by courier or post?You see we will enter to canada as visitors. I won't have a problem as Canadian citizen but he maybe has.
Make sure you have a "fee paid" receipt if you have not submitted the application. If you have submitted it already, you can bring a copy with you but the ideal is to have the sponsor approval letter for entry. You (as the Canadian Citizen) should do the talking.

litsa74 said:
4. If we send the file with the applications and documents from Greece to the immigration applying outland can we flight and stay in canda in order to find a place to stay and me to find a job until the proccess ends?Can he ask to expand his visitor visa with the excuse that we have applied for his pr?We are affraid to apply inland because he cann't travel freely if something happens to his family in greece or visit his brother , who stays in las Vegas.
You see we dont want to waste time. We want the time our application is in process , i can find job , house to live e.t.c If we wait here in Greece we will lose almost a year until the final decision.
Normally, they will permit him to stay in Canada with you while the application is processed. But it is up to the CBSA officer. You should be able to explain how he can afford to remain with you without working while the application is in process. For example, if you are staying with family, having a letter from them saying so is helpful. If you have savings, make sure you bring documentation, etc.

litsa74 said:
5. I was born in Montreal as I said , can I apply to become sponsor of my husband and resine in Toronto?we dont want to go to montreal because we dont know french and the possibilities of finding jobs is redusing.
It is a Charter guaranteed right that you may live and work anywhere in Canada. Your husband will have that same right once he is a permanent resident of Canada.

bg

Nov 18, 2013
a few quick clarity questions. I apologize. if you have answered these elsewhere

I am a Canadian citizen, living and working in the US on a work visa for the past 7 years. I met my fiance here and we have been dating for 2 years, and just got engaged. We are thinking of moving back to Canada with a transfer with my company.

Is the fact that i have not resided in Canada for 7 years any issue? does it change the process?

If i get transferred back tp Canada with my company, it usually happens really quickly. Will she be able to come with me? maybe as a visitor at first? or will she need to stay behind until i get her a visa? How long will that take with my situation?

If she does come up there somehow while we wait for a visa, is she restricted from traveling back to the US? if so for how long?

appreciate any insight.

thanks

maria a

Star Member
Feb 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2013
AOR Received.
06-01-2014
File Transfer...
22-01-2014
Med's Done....
10-11-2013
Someone help me pleaseeeee!!!! On the document checklist it says:
12) IDENTITY AND CIVIL STATUS DOCUMENTS
Provide the following documents:
• birth certificates,
• baptismal certificates or,
• other official document confirming relationship (including all pages of Household Registries) for
you and each of your family members.

What does it mean by other official document confirmimg relationship? and relationship with who? like his parents and siblings ?