+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

saeedar

Star Member
Oct 7, 2012
Hi,
Me and my girlfriend do not want to be far away each other for a long time.
If we apply for outside canada sponsorship, is there any chance that she (as the sponsor) can leave Canada
temporary to visit me? If yes, how long can she be outside of Canada during the application process?

Thanks a lot!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
noor1987 said:
thax for ur reply Leon :)

someone told me that if he will apply for visit visa...he might get refused... :(( cz his spousal case has already been rejected...
i am planing to come to Canada this Feb...n thinking to sponsor him again...n will stay in Canada till his case gets approve. but i just want to knw...if therez any faster way to get spouse visa?? or if he can get visit visa...??? n em also afraid his cases might get rejected once again...just cz his case has already been rejected??is that true?
It is hard for spouses of PR's and citizens to get a visit visa or any kind of temporary visa because immigration often thinks they will overstay. There is no faster way to get a spouse visa and no guaranteed way for him to get a visit visa. The sponsorship case will not be automatically rejected but if you applied before and did not stay in the country, they may check if you try to do the same thing again. Therefore, if you leave your mailing address for any time at all, you should make sure you have some reliable person going there every day to check your mail in case immigration wants to hear from you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
saeedar said:
Hi,
Me and my girlfriend do not want to be far away each other for a long time.
If we apply for outside canada sponsorship, is there any chance that she (as the sponsor) can leave Canada
temporary to visit me? If yes, how long can she be outside of Canada during the application process?

Thanks a lot!
If she is a PR, she must be residing in Canada in order to sponsor you. It would be ok for her to take a short vacation, I would say max. 3 weeks but make sure that someone is checking her mail in the meantime in case immigration tries to get in touch. She should also keep her flight boarding cards in case they ask her to prove later that she was living in Canada. If she is a citizen, she doesn't have to worry about that so much but should still have someone to check her mail back home.

noor1987

Jun 14, 2012
hhmmm...can u tel me is there any minimum income requirement to sponsor a spouse??

n how long will it take to get his visa...if i apply for him in Feb???

noor1987

Jun 14, 2012
and wht if my husband apply under MPNP??? wht are the chances then??
can he do that? as his spouse case has already been rejected??

mjoy26

Oct 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-2011
AOR Received.
12-2011
Med's Done....
Remed Nov. 14, 2013
Passport Req..
Oct. 2012... send Nov. 16, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 13, 2014
LANDED..........
Sept. 3, 2014
@amikety...thank you very much! :)

VPS

Star Member
May 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-09-2012
File Transfer...
20th sept 2012
Med's Done....
July 2012
Interview........
Nopes
Passport Req..
01-10-2012, PP sent n recvd 19-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
4 th Feb 2012, received on 11th Feb 2012
LANDED..........
March first week
The PPR is asking for PCC. While we submitted PCC for Dubai (was valid for 3 months in total and while applying the validity had not expired) along with application, we could not submit Singapore PCC as Singapore required letter from embassy...
Now we received PPR along with the request for PCC submission. Do we need to submit the Dubai PCC again?? Please advice...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
noor1987 said:
hhmmm...can u tel me is there any minimum income requirement to sponsor a spouse??

n how long will it take to get his visa...if i apply for him in Feb???
There is no specific income requirement to sponsor a spouse. The processing time depends on your home country. You say you are from Pakistan. That is unlucky for you because the processing time there is very long. For an outland application, there is always a pre-approval of sponsor in Mississauga which currently takes around 2 months. After that, your file would go to Islamabad where the average processing time is 20 months.

noor1987 said:
and wht if my husband apply under MPNP??? wht are the chances then??
can he do that? as his spouse case has already been rejected??
The spouse case was not rejected because there was anything wrong with him. It was rejected because you were not living in Canada. If your husband qualifies to apply under PNP, he can do that. However, PNP in Islamabad is even slower than spousal.

The only possible way to get faster is if he manages to get a job and a visa in a 3rd country and moves there. If he has been allowed to enter another country with a visa for at least 1 year, you could ask for processing there, either for spousal or PNP. Is there any country where he might be able to get a work permit and go work? You can see processing times in different countries here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp Those times show what time it takes to process 80% of applications.

ChampagneSupernova

Jan 5, 2012
Hello,

This seems like the right place for my question :) Here is my situation:

My girlfriend and I want to get married, and I want her to come and live in Canada. I'm a Canadian citizen, she's Polish. We have extensive proof of how genuine our relationship is (emails, photos from our vacations, etc etc.) This is the process that I had in mind, please let me know if this is correct and whether I'm missing anything.

1. she comes to visit, allowed to stay up to 6mo (she holds the biometric passport, so no need for a visa)
2. we get married in Canada
3. apply for spousal sponsorship (inland)
4. apply for visa extension attach to it a copy of the marriage certificate(which apparently takes about 2mo to get) , copy of spousal sponsorship papers

Now, some things I'm a bit uncertain about, hopefully someone can clarify:
- can she apply for a visa extension right after we get married or do we need to show that we applied for spousal sponsorship?
- it takes about 2mo to get the marriage certificate, do we need a copy of it to apply for spousal sponsorship/visa extension, or is there some other documentation proving that we are married that could do it?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
ChampagneSupernova said:
Hello,

This seems like the right place for my question :) Here is my situation:

My girlfriend and I want to get married, and I want her to come and live in Canada. I'm a Canadian citizen, she's Polish. We have extensive proof of how genuine our relationship is (emails, photos from our vacations, etc etc.) This is the process that I had in mind, please let me know if this is correct and whether I'm missing anything.

1. she comes to visit, allowed to stay up to 6mo (she holds the biometric passport, so no need for a visa)
2. we get married in Canada
3. apply for spousal sponsorship (inland)
4. apply for visa extension attach to it a copy of the marriage certificate(which apparently takes about 2mo to get) , copy of spousal sponsorship papers

Now, some things I'm a bit uncertain about, hopefully someone can clarify:
- can she apply for a visa extension right after we get married or do we need to show that we applied for spousal sponsorship?
- it takes about 2mo to get the marriage certificate, do we need a copy of it to apply for spousal sponsorship/visa extension, or is there some other documentation proving that we are married that could do it?
With an inland application she can apply for status (extended visitor visa or open work permit) and is covered under "implied status", so you don't need to apply for separate visitor extension.

If you've been living together for a year or longer you would qualify as common-law partners, and would not need to be married. Otherwise, you will need to wait until you get the marriage certificate back. I'm not sure which province requires two months (it took 3 weeks here in BC) but yes you would need a copy of that to apply for PR. You could apply for a visitor extension with just a receipt for the application fees, but again with an inland application and implied status you wouldn't need to do that - just make sure you apply for PR before her status expires.

At the current time inland sponsorship is published as requiring 7 months for the sponsor approval (first stage). At that point she would be eligible for an open work permit. The second stage generally takes less than 8 months to complete, so she would have PR in ~15 months.

Inland times have been improving - earlier today I saw someone in April 2012 report they had received AIP, which means that processing times continue to decrease, which is definitely a good thing.

Good luck!

ChampagneSupernova

Jan 5, 2012
computergeek,

Thank you for the tips. Another question, you are saying "make sure you apply for PR before her status expires." - you are talking about the implied status? How long does it last?Also, when is the PR application filed, after the sponsorship one is approved?

Thank you!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
ChampagneSupernova said:
computergeek,

Thank you for the tips. Another question, you are saying "make sure you apply for PR before her status expires." - you are talking about the implied status? How long does it last?Also, when is the PR application filed, after the sponsorship one is approved?

Thank you!
Implied status lasts until such time as CIC informs you of a decision. That's why implied status is so valuable - it's essentially "the duration of the process".

ChampagneSupernova

Jan 5, 2012
computergeek said:
Implied status lasts until such time as CIC informs you of a decision. That's why implied status is so valuable - it's essentially "the duration of the process".
Okay, I see. Basically make sure to apply for PR while the spousal sponsorship papers are being processed (about 15 months)?

Thank you very much!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
ChampagneSupernova said:
Okay, I see. Basically make sure to apply for PR while the spousal sponsorship papers are being processed (about 15 months)?
Well, right now it takes 7 months for first stage approval, at which point she has a work permit and thus real status in Canada, not just implied status. The balance of the time is for approval of her as a PR.

The first stage time has also been dropping rather quickly - 11 months in early August, now down to 7 months and I saw someone who was at 6 months + 1 week report AIP earlier today, so by the time you apply it might be down to 3-4 months if you're very fortunate and this trend continues.

ChampagneSupernova

Jan 5, 2012
computergeek said:
Well, right now it takes 7 months for first stage approval, at which point she has a work permit and thus real status in Canada, not just implied status. The balance of the time is for approval of her as a PR.

The first stage time has also been dropping rather quickly - 11 months in early August, now down to 7 months and I saw someone who was at 6 months + 1 week report AIP earlier today, so by the time you apply it might be down to 3-4 months if you're very fortunate and this trend continues.
Gotcha! So then PR application will have to follow almost right after the sponsorship one.