+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Fchaudry

Aug 30, 2012
Hi

My name is Fariha. I am really very confused about my case and i dont know what to do and to whom should i ask. Then i came across this forum. i hope it helps me out .
Anyways i want to sponsor my common law partner who is international student in british columbia. I live in Vancover too. we are living together since a year and now i want to sponser him. Actually i am sponsored myself by my X husband. i got my PR in feb 2010. I left my x husband because of domestic voilance. So now the question is can i sponer my common law partner?

do i need a lawyer or anything like that ? ive heard they are quite expensive. So please help me and answer me.

Thanks
Fariha

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Fchaudry said:
Anyways i want to sponsor my common law partner who is international student in british columbia. I live in Vancover too. we are living together since a year and now i want to sponser him. Actually i am sponsored myself by my X husband. i got my PR in feb 2010. I left my x husband because of domestic voilance. So now the question is can i sponer my common law partner?
I'm sorry, but due to a recent change in the law you are not eligible to sponsor your common-law partner at the present time. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob386.asp (Operational Bulletin 386). There is now a five year bar for a sponsored spouse to in turn sponsor a new spouse. Perhaps an attorney can suggest an alternative method, but the normal spousal sponsorship is not available to you. You will become eligible to sponsor in Feburary 2015, 2.5 years from now. if your partner will be a student until then, or will have other temporary status (e.g., a post-graduation work permit) then it's just a matter of waiting until you are an eligible sponsor.

Your common-law partner may be eligible to apply in an economic category as well, such as skilled worker or Canadian Experience Class, in which case your relationship will add points to the application, even though you cannot sponsor at this time.

sxy_bytch

Jun 7, 2011
Ok so here i am again!! We are ready to file the sponsorship papers, and extend his current work permit. what are the exact fees i need to pay ?? I am sending his pr app, along with my sponship app and extension for his visa app, also does he need a medical and police check if he's already done that before coming here on his work visa last year? if so where would i do that if he's from jamaica.. and for the fees can i pay all at once at the bank?

slash2021

Aug 28, 2012
Hi,

I am just trying to get my spouse into Canada using a TRV, since I'm a full time graduate studen, she gets an open work permit and I can change her status once here .Since she is self sponsored, do I still need to show proof of accommodation like my name in a rental agreement or lease agreement ?

abdrabbou

Aug 31, 2012
it's me driss from Morocco. i'm in love with a polish woman . she lives in canada,and soon she coming to getting married with me.
and i knew her 21/11/2008.and we talking since that time ,and sharing letters i have proves about that,transfer money , texts,letters ,e_mail ,since 20/01/2009.till 31/08/2012
what an amazing in this relationship we was getting to know each other.i really love her and she loves me.
i need some information. what's documents to fill form? it's send to canada or canadian embassy in morocco?

Thanks

Driss

Jinny11

Aug 31, 2012
Hi all! I'm so confused about this whole immigration process and needed some clarity on how to do things legally. My bf is an American and has been in Canada for 4 months now. We just returned from a week long trip in the States and am wondering, now that he crossed over and back into Canada, does his 6 months start over again?

I'll post the next questions point-form to make it easier to read:)
1) How long can he legally stay in Canada as a US Citizen?
2) Is there any way to extend his stay?
3) What's the easiest & quickest way for him to stay here permanently, or even for a year? (I could always move to the States in a year)
4) What's the difference between inland and outland apps and can we apply for an outland app if he's IN Canada?
5) Can he apply for an extension as a Visitor??

I'm sure I'll have more questions to ask, and I appreciate all your help!! Thanks again!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Jinny11 said:
1) How long can he legally stay in Canada as a US Citizen?
Unless otherwise noted when he enters Canada, six months.

Jinny11 said:
2) Is there any way to extend his stay?
Yes, he may apply for an extension of his stay. The information is on the CIC website and it may be done either online or via a paper application process. He can also go to the border and ask for an extension as well.

Jinny11 said:
3) What's the easiest & quickest way for him to stay here permanently, or even for a year? (I could always move to the States in a year)
Immigration is the easiest way for him to stay permanently, but unless you qualify to sponsor, he would need to qualify in an economic class.

For a year? Check to see if he would qualify for a NAFTA-eligible job. In THAT case, all he needs is a job offer for the NAFTA-qualified job, evidence he has the necessary skills for the job, $150, completed application and two pictures and he can just pick up a work permit at the border. Otherwise, he will need to find an employer willing to sponsor him by obtaining an LMO.

Jinny11 said:
4) What's the difference between inland and outland apps and can we apply for an outland app if he's IN Canada?
INLAND = "entire application is processed inside Canada, applicant must be IN CANADA" - 19 months
OUTLAND = "sponsor portion is processed inside Canada, applicant portion is processed OUTSIDE Canada, applicant may be anywhere in the world." - 2 months for sponsor + time for visa office (~12 months for a US applicant).

Inland applications have no right to appeal to IAD if the application is denied (only option is Federal Court). Outland applications have a right to apeal to IAD if the application is denied. Most Americans will use the OUTLAND process because it is faster and has fewer limitations.

Jinny11 said:
5) Can he apply for an extension as a Visitor??
Yes. He can certainly do that.

Good luck!

Jinny11

Aug 31, 2012
Thanks sooo much ComputerGeek!! :)

I could probably qualify as a sponsor, and he has a Bachelor's in Science (so he could qualify for a NAFTA job) but it's been difficult finding jobs in his profession :(
Thank you for clarifying the extension part. I thought it was only valid for those who had to acquire a visitor's visa prior to coming to Canada.

Would there be any reason for the border to deny his request for an extension? Would you recommend he do it online or through the border?

Is there anything else that would be helpful and make the process less tedious?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Jinny11 said:
I could probably qualify as a sponsor, and he has a Bachelor's in Science (so he could qualify for a NAFTA job) but it's been difficult finding jobs in his profession :(
It's usually easier to find a job when an employer doesn't need to get an LMO for the employee. Note that in order to qualify to sponsor you would need to have a qualifying relationship - common-law (living together for 12 months) or spousal (married).

Jinny11 said:
Thank you for clarifying the extension part. I thought it was only valid for those who had to acquire a visitor's visa prior to coming to Canada.
It's generally easier if the initial extension is done at the border because they can provide him with a visitor record. EITHER you need to show that an application has been filed (e.g., the application fees are paid and/or you've been approved as sponsor) OR you have to convince them that he can support himself while in Canada and will leave at the end of the time they allow him. It is technically possible to apply for an extension as visitor without a visitor record. If it is granted, he will be sent a visitor record.

Jinny11 said:
Thank you for clarifying the extension part. I thought it was only valid Would there be any reason for the border to deny his request for an extension? Would you recommend he do it online or through the border?
If they are not convinced he won't work and/or leave. They're pretty easy on Americans, but they don't have to be, and what I'm describing are the rules they follow.

Jinny11 said:
Thank you for clarifying the extension part. I thought it was only valid Is there anything else that would be helpful and make the process less tedious?
Tequila. Or whiskey. :D

Check out the us2canada.com website for more information on the general process of applying for sponsored permanent residency.

mike0421

Apr 25, 2012
vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-07-2012
Doc's Request.
Hopefully none
AOR Received.
AOR: 14-09-2012 / Sponsorship approval: 17-09-2012
File Transfer...
17-09-2012
Med's Done....
May 2012
Interview........
Hopefully waived
VISA ISSUED...
In God's perfect time
LANDED..........
In God's perfect time
Hi everyone! I submitted my application and complete docs for spousal sponsorship to CIC-M on the 1st week of July this year but I haven't received any letter from the immigration yet.. :( does any of you guys know why? because my friends told me that it's just supposed to be 1 month for them to make a sponsorship assessment but it has been almost 2 months now.. :( please advise guys.. thanks a lot!!

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
mike0421 said:
Hi everyone! I submitted my application and complete docs for spousal sponsorship to CIC-M on the 1st week of July this year but I haven't received any letter from the immigration yet.. :( does any of you guys know why? because my friends told me that it's just supposed to be 1 month for them to make a sponsorship assessment but it has been almost 2 months now.. :( please advise guys.. thanks a lot!!
It's at 66 days right now. You're around 60 days. Give it another two weeks and you should hear something soon! (the first stage timeline changes drastically often)

Jinny11

Aug 31, 2012
computergeek said:
It's usually easier to find a job when an employer doesn't need to get an LMO for the employee. Note that in order to qualify to sponsor you would need to have a qualifying relationship - common-law (living together for 12 months) or spousal (married).

It's generally easier if the initial extension is done at the border because they can provide him with a visitor record. EITHER you need to show that an application has been filed (e.g., the application fees are paid and/or you've been approved as sponsor) OR you have to convince them that he can support himself while in Canada and will leave at the end of the time they allow him. It is technically possible to apply for an extension as visitor without a visitor record. If it is granted, he will be sent a visitor record.

If they are not convinced he won't work and/or leave. They're pretty easy on Americans, but they don't have to be, and what I'm describing are the rules they follow.

Tequila. Or whiskey. :D

Check out the us2canada.com website for more information on the general process of applying for sponsored permanent residency.
How can we qualify as common-law if he isn't legally entitled to be here for more than 6 months at a time unless he has an extension? I'm wondering, could I apply as a conjugal partner sponsor? I saw that on the CIC website as one of the options. Economically, what's the best in the long run? Mentally.....what's the best option? Lol. Basically. What's the quickest and what's the most economical? Do we have to specify a time frame for his extension or do they have set amount of times that they provide?

Thanks so much for your patience and valuable help!! Oh, is it better doing this through an immigration lawyer, or do the wait times still remain the same??

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Jinny11 said:
How can we qualify as common-law if he isn't legally entitled to be here for more than 6 months at a time unless he has an extension? I'm wondering, could I apply as a conjugal partner sponsor? I saw that on the CIC website as one of the options. Economically, what's the best in the long run? Mentally.....what's the best option? Lol. Basically. What's the quickest and what's the most economical? Do we have to specify a time frame for his extension or do they have set amount of times that they provide?
This is a common problem. In fact, it turns out to be easier for a Canadian to go to the US than vice-versa, as the US has a concept of a fiancée visa but Canada does not.

You do NOT want to go down the conjugal partner class. It's the most difficult relationship path and requires you show you have exhausted every other avenue to live together. Since you could get married, they are extremely unlikely to approve a conjugal application.

Economically? Have him find a NAFTA job position (or you find one in the US) and then start the process. Mentally? Find a country that doesn't treat prospective immigrants like criminals. Again, having a paperwork process that's churning in the background while you're living together and both working is likely the lowest stress. I've been in the immigration wringer for 38 months now and it is truly one of the most dehumanizing processes in which I've ever been involved.

Quickest: get married, file for sponsorship. Do the application yourself (most economical).

As for how long they'll give him, if he says that you are living together to try and establish common-law he's very likely to be refused. There's a certain amount of "discretion" so that makes the process a certain amount of arbitrariness to it as well.

Jinny11 said:
Thanks so much for your patience and valuable help!! Oh, is it better doing this through an immigration lawyer, or do the wait times still remain the same??
Save your $2500-$6500 and do it yourself, because you'll end up doing all the heavy lifting yourself anyway. Hence, more economical.

Budget $1500 just for the costs to file a sponsored application. $1090 for the fees, plus finger prints, FBI clearance letter, medical exam, etc.

EliandMaria

Feb 4, 2012
Kitchener Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
12/17/2012
Hi, I would like to know. Once the Case Processing Center in Mississauga replied by email that my wife is eligible to sponsor me.
I understand that I am suppose to receive some kind of a kit? by mail? Its called permanent resident kit. I think.
I would like to know what happens next. In more detailed way.

MUMPY

Star Member
Apr 11, 2012
FARIDKOT
Category........
Visa Office......
DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-NOV-2011
Med's Done....
ALONG WITH FILE SUBMISSION
Interview........
WAVED I GUESS
Passport Req..
23-FEB-2012
VISA ISSUED...
NO IDEA
LANDED..........
VERY NEXT DAY ONCE I GET MY VISA BAGS PACKED
hello senior member
hole anyone can help me i applied on nov 18 i got ppr on feb and submitted my passport on fen 24 i lived in canada for 5 years and my visa expired and i came to india to submit t my passport on feb 24 my status is in process since then and in july i was asked to submitt addition documents as i was charged with dui .i have paid all the fines and have my licence suspended for a year i also attended responsible driver program and was able to get the licence back in dec 2011.so now i have no clue whats going on as i submitted my additional documents and it reached delhi office on aug 3 does anybody have any idea whats going on any view whouls be great