+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Eve94

Mar 19, 2022
Hello,

My mother who is a Canadian citizen is sponsoring my father (inland submission).
The file was submitted Sept 2021 and an automatic reception email was sent.
However an official "acknowledgement of receipt" has still NOT been received.

My father applied for an open work permit afterwards online as well (Oct 2021) but was refused given he did not have an AOR for his sponsorship.
Has anyone been in a similar situation?
Does anyone know the delays for an AOR when submitting online inland?

Thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

My mother who is a Canadian citizen is sponsoring my father (inland submission).
The file was submitted Sept 2021 and an automatic reception email was sent.
However an official "acknowledgement of receipt" has still NOT been received.

My father applied for an open work permit afterwards online as well (Oct 2021) but was refused given he did not have an AOR for his sponsorship.
Has anyone been in a similar situation?
Does anyone know the delays for an AOR when submitting online inland?

Thanks in advance
He won't qualify for the OWP until the application has AIP (approval in principle). These days that is taking 8+ months.

jm90

Jan 10, 2019
Sorry, just coming to this thread. My apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this.

Situation: I am a PR, employed, and my wife came to Canada 1 week earlier on study visa.
Context: We got married July 2021 IN INDIA. I lived for 6 months in Canada while she was in India. She is in Canada now.

1. Do we need a registered marriage before I apply for her spousal sponsorship. I heard they might cause a problem by saying you mis-led us because you took a study visa, even though we were single when she applied for her visa.
2. Can I file for taxes right now as single, or can I apply with mentioning a spouse? If I say I am married now, will it cause a problem during spousal application?

Last edited:

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Sorry, just coming to this thread. My apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this.

Situation: I am a PR, employed, and my wife came to Canada 1 week earlier on study visa.
Context: We got married July 2021. I lived for 7 months in Canada while she was in India. She is in Canada now.

1. Do we need a registered marriage before I apply for her spousal sponsorship. I heard they might cause a problem by saying you mis-led us because you took a study visa, even though we were single when she applied for her visa.
2. Can I file for taxes right now as single, or can I apply with mentioning a spouse? If I say I am married now, will it cause a problem during spousal application?
So is your timeline like this?
Wife applied for student visa, then you got married, and then the visa was approved and she travelled to Canada.

jm90

Jan 10, 2019
Did you notify IRCC of the change of martial status while the study permit was in process?
No. My consultant told me it was a study visa and did not require that update to IRCC. If it was a PR application, then it was necessary

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
No. My consultant told me it was a study visa and did not require that update to IRCC. If it was a PR application, then it was necessary
So you were a PR before you got married?

If so, that's it - just apply to sponsor. There's no such thing as registering a foreign marriage.

jm90

Jan 10, 2019
So you were a PR before you got married?

If so, that's it - just apply to sponsor. There's no such thing as registering a foreign marriage.
Yes, I was a PR before I was married.
Ok, that helps...
But can I file for taxe returns as married right now, as I still haven't sponsored her?... she just entered the country to live with me.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, I was a PR before I was married.
Ok, that helps...
But can I file for taxe returns as married right now, as I still haven't sponsored her?... she just entered the country to live with me.
Don't know. Have you tried reading the instructions on your tax return?

mihirkumar patel

Star Member
Sep 27, 2017
Hello guys,

is there anybody whose PR spouse file apporoved Without adding birthcertificate of spouse? And if yes, then what supporting documents added?

thanks

Eve94

Mar 19, 2022
He won't qualify for the OWP until the application has AIP (approval in principle). These days that is taking 8+ months.
Hello,

Online it says "Once they receive their acknowledgement of receipt letter, they can apply for an open work permit. They must apply for the work permit online.If your spouse or partner does not currently have valid status, we’ll process their work permit application once their permanent residence application has been approved in principle." My father is on a visitor record; so technically he has a "valid status". Therefore, what I understand of IRCC explanations is that he could apply for an open work permit once he receives his AOR. As explained previously, he applied online for a spousal sponsorship (inland) in Sept 2021.

My question is the delays to get that AOR for people who applied online (inland application)?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

Online it says "Once they receive their acknowledgement of receipt letter, they can apply for an open work permit. They must apply for the work permit online.If your spouse or partner does not currently have valid status, we’ll process their work permit application once their permanent residence application has been approved in principle." My father is on a visitor record; so technically he has a "valid status". Therefore, what I understand of IRCC explanations is that he could apply for an open work permit once he receives his AOR. As explained previously, he applied online for a spousal sponsorship (inland) in Sept 2021.

My question is the delays to get that AOR for people who applied online (inland application)?
Sorry, I mistyped. You are right. It's AOR that is required. Yes, there are delays in getting AOR for people who applied online. It's taking many many months for those who applied online.

Eve94

Mar 19, 2022
Sorry, I mistyped. You are right. It's AOR that is required. Yes, there are delays in getting AOR for people who applied online. It's taking many many months for those who applied online.
Thanks for your prompt reply ! We are regretting not applying by mail now :/ We thought online would go faster as there would be no delays for postal services. Thanks again.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your prompt reply ! We are regretting not applying by mail now :/ We thought online would go faster as there would be no delays for postal services. Thanks again.
If it makes you feel any better, applying by mail would not have necessarily resulted in your father getting the OWP faster.

Those who apply by mail can include the OWP application along with the spousal sponsorship application. However we are seeing many cases here where it's taking those who applied by mail over 8 months to get the OWP. Some are reaching the 12 months mark and being approved for PR before the OWP is even issued.