+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hie guys when are you officially a Permanent Resident when you receive COPR or when you receive PR card in the mail?
If you are outside Canada when you receive the COPR, you are not a PR until you 'land.' The signed/dated (at border) COPR is the evidence you landed and proof you're a PR until you receive the PR card.

If you're inside Canada and do the virtual landing process, you should get a so-called eCOPR that says you are a permanent resident. The hint here is the 'you are now a permanent resident' phrasing.

visajon

May 26, 2020
Reason i am asking is i sponsored my girlfriend via common law sponsorship inland she has received ECOPR and through portal and signed it but is still waiting for PR card ..Relationship has broken down and was wondering if i can still withdraw my sponsorship?

efie

Dec 3, 2020
canada
Category........
Other
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Reason i am asking is i sponsored my girlfriend via common law sponsorship inland she has received ECOPR and through portal and signed it but is still waiting for PR card ..Relationship has broken down and was wondering if i can still withdraw my sponsorship?
Oh I'm sorry to hear this and yes, you can email ircc about it and the PR card won't be processed and she can't also travel even though she got the eCOPR.....You can withdraw before the person comes into the country.....Oh, in the beginning it was not so so what happened.....I guess IRCC delays and stuffs could be part of the reasons....I wish you both well!! And if she's already in the country roo, call the service line and hear what they shall say....

visajon

May 26, 2020
Oh I'm sorry to hear this and yes, you can email ircc about it and the PR card won't be processed and she can't also travel even though she got the eCOPR.....You can withdraw before the person comes into the country.....Oh, in the beginning it was not so so what happened.....I guess IRCC delays and stuffs could be part of the reasons....I wish you both well!! And if she's already in the country roo, call the service line and hear what they shall say....
I thought I read somewhere where it says once they receive PR Status you can no longer withdraw sponsorship?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If she got the ecopr, she is already a PR and there is likely little you can do about it.

Phenggay

Feb 17, 2022
Hi. I am a Canadian citizen who applied to sponsor my common-law partner. Submitted my application on March 2021 only to be returned on Oct 2021 because it’s missing some signatures on his dependants’ form :-( we resent the package in Nov 2021 and I got the AOR with application number etc via email on Feb 15. A day after that, my partner received an email titled CPCM / CTDM - Inland Express Request Letter with an attachment letter stating: Reminder- Medical examination; that he along with the dependants in the application must submit proof of medical examination and that the proof of examination must be sent to the Mississauga office along with that letter. Knowing that I just received an acknowledgment of receipt and my partner’s dependants who are abroad did not get biometrics instructions yet, I am now very confused if My partner and dependants should take the letter and get their medical done? Would you know if this is normal? Should there not be a medical instruction sheet sent to them to get the examination? Thank you in advanced. I’m hoping you may be able to provide some opinion on this. God bless you!

manikmonday

Star Member
Oct 21, 2015
Hi All,
I have a Canadian PR which was approved before I got married. I got married outside Canada and me and my spouse moved to US for short term due to work. Due to Covid restrictions, we could not plan/make the move to Canada. We applied for Canadian Visitor Visa for my spouse which was approved in 2021. My new born is 5 months old, has a passport but does not have a visitor visa yet. I have travelled alone to Canada for now but by current calculations I wont be able to fulfil my RO. Looking for assistance for:

1. Should I first apply for sponsorship for my spouse and child and then apply for visitor visa for my child ? If visitor visa is granted for my child, can my spouse and child travel to Canada to be with me while the PR sponsorship is in process ?
2. Should I apply for Visitor visa for my child and depending on if/ when the visitor visa is granted and if my family travels to Canada on the Visitor Visa, then apply for Sponsorship for my spouse and child ?

I tried posting my question as a separate thread but it is still awaiting some forum approval for the past 3 days :(

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,
I have a Canadian PR which was approved before I got married. I got married outside Canada and me and my spouse moved to US for short term due to work. Due to Covid restrictions, we could not plan/make the move to Canada. We applied for Canadian Visitor Visa for my spouse which was approved in 2021. My new born is 5 months old, has a passport but does not have a visitor visa yet. I have travelled alone to Canada for now but by current calculations I wont be able to fulfil my RO. Looking for assistance for:

1. Should I first apply for sponsorship for my spouse and child and then apply for visitor visa for my child ? If visitor visa is granted for my child, can my spouse and child travel to Canada to be with me while the PR sponsorship is in process ?
2. Should I apply for Visitor visa for my child and depending on if/ when the visitor visa is granted and if my family travels to Canada on the Visitor Visa, then apply for Sponsorship for my spouse and child ?

I tried posting my question as a separate thread but it is still awaiting some forum approval for the past 3 days :(

Thank you
1. Do not apply to sponsor either your spouse or your child if you do not meet RO. If you do not meet RO and apply to sponsor them, the sponsorship application will be refused and this normally also triggers a review of your status which could result in your PR status being revoked. You first step should be to do a very careful calculation of whether or not you meet or can meet RO. If you became a PR more than three years ago and also have spent more than three years outside of Canada in the last five years, then you won't meet RO.
2. Determine where you stand with RO first. That will tell you what your options are. Sponsorship may not be an option at this time.

efie

Dec 3, 2020
canada
Category........
Other
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
I thought I read somewhere where it says once they receive PR Status you can no longer withdraw sponsorship?
If they are in Canada already then sure, you can't do anything but if they are outland and you are the sponsor and the representative, you can choose not to let them know the eCopr information and keep delaying until it expires but even with that, if they are smarter than you, they still can get the update. However, they must come and stay with you so their landing could be a little issue....whichever way, just let them have the opportunity and the door God has used you to open for them and let go....Another door will also open for you back...What goes around comes around....

The painful thing will be if you have siblings for outland application and couldn't allow them to immigrate first before your fiance or fiancee

manikmonday

Star Member
Oct 21, 2015
1. Do not apply to sponsor either your spouse or your child if you do not meet RO. If you do not meet RO and apply to sponsor them, the sponsorship application will be refused and this normally also triggers a review of your status which could result in your PR status being revoked. You first step should be to do a very careful calculation of whether or not you meet or can meet RO. If you became a PR more than three years ago and also have spent more than three years outside of Canada in the last five years, then you won't meet RO.
2. Determine where you stand with RO first. That will tell you what your options are. Sponsorship may not be an option at this time.
Hi,
I am currently 3 months short of fulfilling my RO. There were personal reasons for the delay (personal loss, birth of child, Covid constraints, etc.) but I do understand that these reasons might not be considered if and when PR renewal/ RO questions pop up. Would it be safe to say that at this point, my best option would be to apply Visitor Visa for my child and hope that they can travel to Canada as and when feasible ?

Thank you for your response.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
I am currently 3 months short of fulfilling my RO. There were personal reasons for the delay (personal loss, birth of child, Covid constraints, etc.) but I do understand that these reasons might not be considered if and when PR renewal/ RO questions pop up. Would it be safe to say that at this point, my best option would be to apply Visitor Visa for my child and hope that they can travel to Canada as and when feasible ?

Thank you for your response.
Yes, that's the safest. If you are short on RO and you sponsor them, you'll be putting yourself at risk of having your PR revoked.

The one other option (if feasible) is for your spouse to apply for PR on their own through an economic immigration program (e.g. PNP) and include the child as a dependent. Your spouse won't be able to claim any points from you and would need to qualify and be selected entirely on their own merits.

Shehzad kausar

Star Member
Nov 8, 2018
hello, my name is shehzad from pakistan, my wife is a canadian, we are going to submit our application for spousal immigration. she was married preiously, but later she got her divorse, after a few months, we married in pakistan. and lived together for about 1 year. we have all the documentary proofs. now she is back to canada and started her job there. i am 34 years old now, she is 45. wo got married in february 2021, i was not married to some one else previously, and either not in relationship with any other person in the past. but she got her divorse from her ex, in october 2020. now i am wrting my love story. i hope someone take a look at my case, and guide me in the right direction. further more, our relationship is genuine. we married because we fell in love with each other. and married. we first met each other on a social media app in 2018, and as she was a chinese, i learned chinese language from her, and she practiced english language with me, we were language partners.

shiv321123

Oct 26, 2021
What IRCC means by a family member while filling out
IMM 5406 ( Additional Family information)

WIll there be two IMM5406 form I need to submit ??
1. IMM5406 (for principal applicant)
2. IMM5406 (for spouse)

Reactions: Shehzad kausar