+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

AT90

Jul 20, 2021
Iam a permanent resident of Canada, they informed me the only obligation is be present in Canada two years in the five year time frame.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Iam a permanent resident of Canada, they informed me the only obligation is be present in Canada two years in the five year time frame.
I would not rely on call-centre for reliable information on topics like that. (The answer is at minimum so incomplete as to be inaccurate)

This has been discussed at length, and it's clear that PRs must be 'resident' in Canada to sponsor - throughout the process. 'Short trips' - undefined - are okay. Leaving a lot of uncertainty about how long one can be abroad. And it's also unclear how much they enforce this (perhaps was never strict, and perhaps even less so in covid).

I would like very much to just say go ahead and visit your kid and don't worry about it. But it's not so clear, and there is some risk. (Hopefully much less for parents visiting the children they're sponsoring).

Good luck.

fctorontowin

Mar 16, 2019
Hi Everyone,

My girlfriend and I are planing on getting married soon. I'm a PR resident and she is outland applicant with an approved application but due to these travel restrictions she is still waiting for her PPR (she got approved on April 2020).

We would like to get married and go with a sponsorship visa to get her application approved and PPR stamped quickly. Can someone advise how long this would take us to get her PPR? Is it a good idea or should we just wait for restrictions to be lifted (we still want to get married even if they lift those silly restrictions) ? And what is the process to follow please?

Thank you,

Network.engr

Aug 3, 2021
Hello everyone how aare you i am new here i need to ask that , i’ve been asked for police clearance certificate in January for pr and i have submitted in two days through webform but they didnt updated this yet but my medical status is updated now i am confused or unsure weather it received or not can any have same case like so,please let me know.

My file is currently in London now , it has been moved from Canada. I also have received pre arrival services so from this what do i think , is it a positive sign or send them again police clearance certificates or should i wait for their response .

AT90

Jul 20, 2021
I would not rely on call-centre for reliable information on topics like that. (The answer is at minimum so incomplete as to be inaccurate)

This has been discussed at length, and it's clear that PRs must be 'resident' in Canada to sponsor - throughout the process. 'Short trips' - undefined - are okay. Leaving a lot of uncertainty about how long one can be abroad. And it's also unclear how much they enforce this (perhaps was never strict, and perhaps even less so in covid).

I would like very much to just say go ahead and visit your kid and don't worry about it. But it's not so clear, and there is some risk. (Hopefully much less for parents visiting the children they're sponsoring).

Good luck.
Hello there, Thanks for your input, I know some times we can’t fully take their words, but as an father I think the best thing is to go visit my daughter and family Specially in the Covid world we living with all uncertainty and stress, It will cheer me up and my family... The CIC Agent sent me an email which I am trying to post here as screen shot.

AT90

Jul 20, 2021
Leaving Canada during processing to sponsor a spouse, common-law partner in Canada

After mailing the application, it is recommended that the sponsored person remains in Canada until the application isapproved. If they choose to leave Canada, an officer will need to ask them questions to ensure they meet all requirements before allowing them to re-enter Canada and avoid having their application considered as abandoned due to their absence.

If the sponsored person plans to travel outside Canada during the application process, or if they have not been allowed to return to Canada after leaving the country:

• They should consider submitting an Application to sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent childoutside Canada to the Case Processing Centre,
    • if a sponsorship application from inside Canada was already submitted, a request to withdraw that application should be sent and approved by the CPC in Mississauga before a new application is submitted.
Should you require more information on sponsoring a spouse or common-law partner, please visit our website.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Leaving Canada during processing to sponsor a spouse, common-law partner in Canada

After mailing the application, it is recommended that the sponsored person remains in Canada until the application isapproved. If they choose to leave Canada, an officer will need to ask them questions to ensure they meet all requirements before allowing them to re-enter Canada and avoid having their application considered as abandoned due to their absence.

If the sponsored person plans to travel outside Canada during the application process, or if they have not been allowed to return to Canada after leaving the country:

• They should consider submitting an Application to sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent childoutside Canada to the Case Processing Centre,
    • if a sponsorship application from inside Canada was already submitted, a request to withdraw that application should be sent and approved by the CPC in Mississauga before a new application is submitted.
Should you require more information on sponsoring a spouse or common-law partner, please visit our website.
Well there you go, they sent you information about an entirely different type of application and a different case.

Thr above text has nothing to do with the requirement that the sponsor remain in Canada bit the applicant - therefore it's about an inland application anyway.

So what is stated above is completely irrelevant to your case and you should take no comfort from it whatsoever.

AT90

Jul 20, 2021
They said Since Outland application has no restrictions they don’t have that information to send me. I am hoping that’s the reality.
And if it’s get rejected let it be, It’s no worst than what Covid already did in my life...

Gowri Dhamotharan

May 28, 2017
Chennai India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-12-2018
Med's Done....
12-01-2019
Hello everyone, I need your suggestions. I have Canada PR(got it in Oct 2019) and I got a job in Canada. Now I'm in India, married recently. I'm planning to travel to Canada in September.

I would like to know what is the best approach to bring my husband to India. Now Canada is not allowing visitors. So doing visitors visa and bringing him to Canada is not an option and also he can't work with visitors visa.

How long does it take to process dependent visa? Can we do dependent visa with pr or we are only allowed to give sponsorship as a PR holder ?

Due to covid, visa processing time is longer. Please let me know what would be the ideal way to process visa and how long it will take?

esam99

Nov 4, 2020
Hello everyone, I need your suggestions. I have Canada PR(got it in Oct 2019) and I got a job in Canada. Now I'm in India, married recently. I'm planning to travel to Canada in September.

I would like to know what is the best approach to bring my husband to India. Now Canada is not allowing visitors. So doing visitors visa and bringing him to Canada is not an option and also he can't work with visitors visa.

How long does it take to process dependent visa? Can we do dependent visa with pr or we are only allowed to give sponsorship as a PR holder ?

Due to covid, visa processing time is longer. Please let me know what would be the ideal way to process visa and how long it will take?
apply for sponsorship

Reactions: Gowri Dhamotharan

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

He can apply for visitor visa, he would be allowed to enter (currently) only as spouse of Canadian PR. Chances of refusal relatively high, and intended only for visits - but may still be worth trying. He would not be able to work on this type of visa.

You can apply to sponsor him - as a PR, you must do so from within Canada. Estimated times are 12 months, may or may not be longer or shorter.

Realistically you may be looking at some length of time apart.

Reactions: Gowri Dhamotharan