+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

ksingh05

Jun 5, 2016
Hello,

I am a PR in Canada and I am currently sponsoring my partner under the family class. He came as a student and already has an open work permit. Would we need to apply for a new work permit for him as well?

Apr 14, 2021
I do not know the details of this well but if you are intending to return to your country "for some time" you should consider applying as outland. Inland with OWP is intended for those who will remain in Canada - and if you leave, there is a serious risk of having the application canceled. Since you are on a working holiday visa, I believe you are from a visa waiver country and should be able to come back during the process.

Yes, it would mean no OWP.
Thank you for your reply!
Actually, this morning I called Immigration and made all my questions about it.
They said that there shouldn't be any problem if I send the application, then leave and show proof of my common-law application when I'll come back.
They suggested printing all the dossier I prepared for the application (the payment of the fees above all) to show at the agents.

I admit I'm kinda scared at this idea... it really seems too easy, but she was very confident about it.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Actually, this morning I called Immigration and made all my questions about it.
They said that there shouldn't be any problem if I send the application, then leave and show proof of my common-law application when I'll come back.
You got this information from the general IRCC call centre?

I really would not rely on that. They usually decline to give advice and with good reason - if they're wrong, will they do anything to fix it for you? Did they send you this information in writing?

If you read carefully, inland applicants are expected to remain in Canada. You have no recourse and I believe not even ability to appeal if it's cancelled because you're out of country.

Reactions: malimu
Apr 14, 2021
Yes, it was the IRCC call centre, and they didn't send anything in writing.

So.. what are my options if I need to go back to my country but I also want to start working again in Canada asap?
1) outland sponsorship - but with that, I could only wait until I become a PR? and what about the work permit?
2) Remain in Canada and wait for the work permit before leaving?
3) What if I leave soon and come back with the" family reunification" and then start the process for the sponsorship?

I'm really confused...

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
1) outland sponsorship - but with that, I could only wait until I become a PR? and what about the work permit?
Personal opinion only - no telling right now how long the OWP process with an inland app is going to take (the four month rough period was prior to covid), so apply outland and hope it goes quickly.

While it's hard to say, there's some possibility that marrying first will go quicker.

Up to you of course.

Reactions: lenaindejardin

LongBill

Star Member
Aug 3, 2020
Florida, USA
Category........
FAM
Question on "Interview" as part of the spousal PR application process.

(Sorry for asking, I should really know this. But the application process has taken so long that I have "fallen asleep in class" and am a bit disoriented on this since I first applied.)

Where are US residents (US citizen, if that matters) called for the interview? The Visa Office seems to be Mississauga, Ontario. Is that where the interviews are held? Or are they held someplace in the US?

LongBill

Star Member
Aug 3, 2020
Florida, USA
Category........
FAM
Question on "Interview" as part of the spousal PR application process.

(Sorry for asking, I should really know this. But the application process has taken so long that I have "fallen asleep in class" and am a bit disoriented on this since I first applied.)

Where are US residents (US citizen, if that matters) called for the interview? The Visa Office seems to be Mississauga, Ontario. Is that where the interviews are held? Or are they held someplace in the US?
To clarify the "interview" a bit further. The interview I describe above, this is not the same as the "landing interview", yes? The landing interview seems to be once you have been approved as a PR; but there seems to be an earlier interview as part of the process to be approved (or not) as a PR applicant.

In fact, in my IRCC account (what some people call "GCKEY", but that is only the log-in method) it says "You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes". So I don't need to do an interview. But I don't believe that, they said the same thing about biometrics and medical; I have had to do both of those.

In any case, I am wondering where I will be called for the interview. Mississauga? some office in the US?

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
My Russian wife needs to provide a Russian police certificate. She applied and got a certificate online, and we printed it ourselves. At the bottom of the certificate it says (in Russian) "The original of this document is signed by electronic signature and is stored in the subsystem "Electronic Journal Issued Certificate"

I just saw here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/russia.html
that electronic versions aren't accepted 'by the embassy'.

Is there any chance that this is actually acceptable? Otherwise we will need to apply for another one, and it could take a month (which we don't really have) for it to arrive.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My Russian wife needs to provide a Russian police certificate. She applied and got a certificate online, and we printed it ourselves. At the bottom of the certificate it says (in Russian) "The original of this document is signed by electronic signature and is stored in the subsystem "Electronic Journal Issued Certificate"

I just saw here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/russia.html
that electronic versions aren't accepted 'by the embassy'.

Is there any chance that this is actually acceptable? Otherwise we will need to apply for another one, and it could take a month (which we don't really have) for it to arrive.
We provided the electronic one printed with translation and notarized etc. I can't remember if we did but you could put a note that is the only form available.

Mind I'm not sure this was the same as how you got it - we went to the city multifunction centre and then they sent us the pdf, we didn't order online.

At any rate we didn't have any trouble with it.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
To clarify the "interview" a bit further. The interview I describe above, this is not the same as the "landing interview", yes? The landing interview seems to be once you have been approved as a PR; but there seems to be an earlier interview as part of the process to be approved (or not) as a PR applicant.

In fact, in my IRCC account (what some people call "GCKEY", but that is only the log-in method) it says "You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes". So I don't need to do an interview. But I don't believe that, they said the same thing about biometrics and medical; I have had to do both of those.

In any case, I am wondering where I will be called for the interview. Mississauga? some office in the US?
Interviews are relatively infrequent and right now only online. So no sense worrying about where, if one happens.

Reactions: LongBill

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
We provided the electronic one printed with translation and notarized etc. I can't remember if we did but you could put a note that is the only form available.

Mind I'm not sure this was the same as how you got it - we went to the city multifunction centre and then they sent us the pdf, we didn't order online.

At any rate we didn't have any trouble with it.
Would you mind comparing our police check to yours, if I send you a photo of what we have? Or do you not have it any more?