+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
i have PR and im sponsoring my wife, I've been back in My home country since June 2020, and with the pandemic and all the travel interruptions, my stay lasted more than 6 months. I still have my house, car, money and job in canada (working remotely). We are about to submit our spouse sponsorship application while im still in my home country, and will move back to canada soon after we submit, is there any reason my application will be rejected ? am i considered as living in canada or not ? even tho im not physically in canada now..

please help!
Yes, it could be rejected as quite clear that PRs must be 'residing in Canada.' You really should NOT risk it and submit only when physically in Canada. If you file and it is rejected on this basis, you would lose at minimum several months time.

Before you ask: no, keeping your stuff in Canada does not mean you are residing in Canada, at least for iRCC purposes. No, IRCC does not have to use tax residency definition. IRCC seems to mostly use physical presence for residing (as they do with Residency Obligation - which is the easiest clue for how they see 'residency').

(They do seem to accept short visits abroad during processing ie weeks not months.)

This comes up frequently here and anyone who disagrees - despite reported cases here of applications refused for just this issue - is free to test it - at their own risk.

commonlawing

Jun 26, 2018
Glad to say I received my CoPR!

A couple of questions:

I assume it's because of Covid-19, but I received no landing interview request. My CoPR instructed me to send the letter along with a photo to process my PR card.

How long does it usually take to receive a PR card after you send in the documents?

I'm curious because I want to travel to the US (I have citizenship there) during the upcoming holidays, but am not sure what documents I would need to request in order to cross back into Canada if my PR card isn't here yet.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
i have PR and im sponsoring my wife, I've been back in My home country since June 2020, and with the pandemic and all the travel interruptions, my stay lasted more than 6 months. I still have my house, car, money and job in canada (working remotely). We are about to submit our spouse sponsorship application while im still in my home country, and will move back to canada soon after we submit, is there any reason my application will be rejected ? am i considered as living in canada or not ? even tho im not physically in canada now..

please help!
Don't submit the application while you are still in your home country. You are at very high risk of rejection since PRs cannot sponsor while outside of Canada. Wait until you have physically returned to Canada. No - from IRCC's perspective, you are not considered as living in Canada at the present time. You are living outside of Canada.

sophie1

Star Member
Aug 27, 2019
It's still a long time to go without seeing each other. Even without COVID, it sounds like you went over a year without seeing each other in person.

I would recommend you answer IRCC's questions honestly and provide evidence to show your ongoing relationship over the last two years.

I have call records from last 2 years and we exchanged gift I can send those gift receipts.
I don't think I have anything else.

KATHIA08

Jun 15, 2020
Who receives the mail from AOR, the sponsor or the principal applicant?
So I would like to know which emails my husband will receive as a sponsor and what responses will the principal applicant receive (Me) in the whole process?

Thank you!!!!

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have call records from last 2 years and we exchanged gift I can send those gift receipts.
Send what you have. I think not visiting each other for two years was a mistake but there's nothing you can do about that now.

singleman

VIP Member
Jul 28, 2018
App. Filed.......
00-05-2020
File Transfer...
00-00-2021
Who receives the mail from AOR, the sponsor or the principal applicant?
So I would like to know which emails my husband will receive as a sponsor and what responses will the principal applicant receive (Me) in the whole process?

Thank you!!!!
AOR and SA is sent to SPONSOR via email only.
BIOMETRIC REQ is sent to Applicant via her/his e-mail ONLY as per my recent personal experience
Further more you ONLY will get emails of MEDs, few more like if Interview happens. ONLY very urgent postal mail is sent for DMs , Interviews

Last edited:

OliviaBBB

Star Member
May 25, 2020
Hi, Can anyone suggest my options here... I am so desperate. If I go with my spouse my points are 435 If i remove him I will get 475 or maybe more... My lawyer says WE MUST go together. Sponsorship will take a year. Should I listen to her? How long am I going to sit in the pool...PLEASE any advice helps

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, Can anyone suggest my options here... I am so desperate. If I go with my spouse my points are 435 If i remove him I will get 475 or maybe more... My lawyer says WE MUST go together. Sponsorship will take a year. Should I listen to her? How long am I going to sit in the pool...PLEASE any advice helps
You'd get more specific advice in the forums for other types of immigration, the family sponsorship forum (this one) is mostly about sponsoring when the sponsor is already a PR or citizen.

felicialiu

Oct 20, 2019
My spouse also didn't visit for nearly 2 yrs but last month an officer called me and said everything looks good, eligibility was cleared and I received my pre arrival. I showed enough proof with photos of our wedding, guests attending our marriage, honeymoon pictures, our chats, few calls, flight tickets, when he came to visit me. We also have a joint bank account.
Few applicants also show receipts of gifts and movie theater or parks.
It has been said that it is better for spouses to meet each other every 6-12 months. So if it is possible for ur spouse to come and visit u, that would be great.
Hopeu hear some positive news soon

Reactions: KATHIA08

felicialiu

Oct 20, 2019
If u require 470+ points to get an ita from ircc, u can remove ur spouse as a dependent and add him as unaccompanied. After u get pr, u can sponsor ur spouse which takes ard 12months. For more info, ask legalfalcon.

barakat87

Nov 5, 2020
Yes, it could be rejected as quite clear that PRs must be 'residing in Canada.' You really should NOT risk it and submit only when physically in Canada. If you file and it is rejected on this basis, you would lose at minimum several months time.

Before you ask: no, keeping your stuff in Canada does not mean you are residing in Canada, at least for iRCC purposes. No, IRCC does not have to use tax residency definition. IRCC seems to mostly use physical presence for residing (as they do with Residency Obligation - which is the easiest clue for how they see 'residency').

(They do seem to accept short visits abroad during processing ie weeks not months.)

This comes up frequently here and anyone who disagrees - despite reported cases here of applications refused for just this issue - is free to test it - at their own risk.

Okay i see, another question please. Can I (the sponsor) take the application with me to Canada and mail from there ? (principal applicant will stay in home country)
Am I considered a representative if i do so and have to fill out a representative form ?

barakat87

Nov 5, 2020
Don't submit the application while you are still in your home country. You are at very high risk of rejection since PRs cannot sponsor while outside of Canada. Wait until you have physically returned to Canada. No - from IRCC's perspective, you are not considered as living in Canada at the present time. You are living outside of Canada.
Okay i see, another question please. Can I (the sponsor) take the application with me to Canada and mail from there ? (principal applicant will stay in home country)
Am I considered a representative if i do so and have to fill out a representative form ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, of course you can send it from within Canada.

And if you wish to have full access, it is better to have your spouse sign the representative form authorizing you to represent her.

Reactions: barakat87

Ori2314

Mar 4, 2019
Abu Dhabi
Category........
App. Filed.......
25-12-2018
Doc's Request.
28-02-2019
Med's Request
28-02-2019
Med's Done....
02-03-2019
Ecas is better for real time updates I think. GcKey is deceptively still. You'll need to know your visa office to get an accurate timeline. Check ecas and let us know what you see.
Hi does anyone know if i should submit even my wife's and child passport together with my passport after receiving PPR? (she is the sponsor and will be accompanying me to Canada, my child is canadian citizen as well).