Spousal sponsorship

Rushie38

Star Member
Apr 3, 2020
Hi All,
Hoping for some insight. I've received what I believe is my DM:
"
Common-Law Partner in Canada Class.
It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent
residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class.

Furthermore, we are pleased to advise you that processing of your application has been
completed. The Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada office in Vancouver will contact
you to arrange an appointment for the finalization of your permanent resident application."

Can someone first confirm for me that I have received my PR? Secondly does anyone have any information regarding timelines for interviews with everything that is happening? Are they still operating?

Thank You.
What is your timeline? I have been waiting for DM as well.

Neha56

Apr 14, 2020
You should really try your best to get married before your certificate expires. At least to get the licence, i'm sure your town hall will reopen soon. It's just an over the counter purchase and you may be able to find an officiant who performs the ceremony abiding SD. You could then explain in your application that celebrations etc were postponed due to COVID. You need to be in status to apply for OWP. I didn't get mine (owp) because i was out of status at the time of submission. Once you are married you can legally stay in the country even if you are out of status and you can apply for spousal sponsorship being out of status but you wont be granted an OWP.
Thank you for the help! I see people get married in chambers or at home too with marriage officiants presence. What would you recommend? With this covid-19 situation, I am sure most of my friends will be hesitant to join the ceremony. Will it be okay to invite marriage officiant at home and do the ceremony with couple of witnesses?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi All,
Hoping for some insight. I've received what I believe is my DM:
"
Common-Law Partner in Canada Class.
It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent
residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class.

Furthermore, we are pleased to advise you that processing of your application has been
completed. The Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada office in Vancouver will contact
you to arrange an appointment for the finalization of your permanent resident application."

Can someone first confirm for me that I have received my PR? Secondly does anyone have any information regarding timelines for interviews with everything that is happening? Are they still operating?

Thank You.
No, you haven't received PR. You need to actually complete the landing to become a PR. IRCC have said they are trying to get through telephone landings but it will likely be quite delayed for now.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone, I have an extreme situation here and would appreciate if anyone can help me this:

- Express entry refusal in 2019 and work permit expiring in September 2020.

- Preparing file for common in law. My file is ready to go and my lawyer mentioned it to me just yesterday that because we declared each other single when we filed express entry and not common in law partners, this will be misrepresentation. Me and my bf are cohabitating since 2017 and honestly had no idea of this term back then. This news is extremely devastating for us at this point because we worked with lawyers from last 4 months and they failed to ask/Inform this basic question before we should have even started with the application.

- My concern here is what are my options? Common law application seems very risky with my situation. We want to consider spousal sponsorship because anyway we have planned our traditional wedding for year 2022. We are thinking to get civil ceremony done here in Ontario, but at the same time we do not want it to look like marriage of convenience. Additionally with covid-19 everything is closed.

Can someone please help me with these questions? I will really appreciate any help and any advice. I thank you in advance.
What do you mean when you say "WE filed express entry". Did your partner apply and become a PR through EE without including you?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi there,

Since my application we had a baby. I realized that the imm5406e is now obsolete, so my husband and I filled them out again including junior. We submitted the new files via Web Form last week, and CIC just emailed with confirmation of receipt.

They also included some very general info about how to add people to the sponsorship. My issue is that it's very unclear whether we need to do anything more to update the application. Do they actually need a hard copy?

Summary:
- spousal sponsorship stalled for some time (reviewing eligibility + processing background check)
- baby arrived since application, so sent in new imm5406e (mine and sponsor's) digitally
- received confusing confirmation email from CIC

Do I need to send them more info, or just go back to waiting?
If you are a PR, the child needs to be added to the app. Medical, forms etc.

Neha56

Apr 14, 2020
Hello everyone,

I am applying for marriage license in Ontario and have run into some issues. My passport has no last name and my complete name goes into given name field. After coming to Canada, all my government ID's have my full name in last name field and no first name, since in Canada, last name is required by law.

I was filing out the form for license and it requires both first and last name fields. Any suggestions please? I will appreciate any sort of help. Thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,

I am applying for marriage license in Ontario and have run into some issues. My passport has no last name and my complete name goes into given name field. After coming to Canada, all my government ID's have my full name in last name field and no first name, since in Canada, last name is required by law.

I was filing out the form for license and it requires both first and last name fields. Any suggestions please? I will appreciate any sort of help. Thank you.
You really need to answer the question that I asked you previously. Did your partner become a PR without including you?

Neha56

Apr 14, 2020
You really need to answer the question that I asked you previously. Did your partner become a PR without including you?
Hi, yes, When we both filed our express entry in 2019, we mentioned each other single, as I said before we were honestly unaware of the term common law or that we need to declare it in the forms. What happened here is, that the lawyer we are working with failed to mention this or ask us. Now that all the money has been paid and file was ready to leave, they were like oh wait, we just noticed this. Shouldn't this has been a basic question they should have asked us the day first?

greenpea99

Apr 13, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I am currently preparing an application package to apply for Inland Spousal Sponsorship. My spouse recently moved here on a Visitor Visa with me after we got married. It has only been a month since she moved here. I am having difficulties to gather documentations to show that my spouse and I are living together. As of now, we only have her Health Insurance policy and Join account bank paper. Will these be enough? What are the other ways of showing proof of living together?

Thanks !

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, yes, When we both filed our express entry in 2019, we mentioned each other single, as I said before we were honestly unaware of the term common law or that we need to declare it in the forms. What happened here is, that the lawyer we are working with failed to mention this or ask us. Now that all the money has been paid and file was ready to leave, they were like oh wait, we just noticed this. Shouldn't this has been a basic question they should have asked us the day first?
Well, that is a pretty big problem. Because your partner became a PR and didn't include you in the app, you are forever excluded from the Family Class. That means you can never be sponsored. He committed misrepresentation in his app.

fazlook

Nov 4, 2016
Ottawa
Guys, on form 0008, I am the sponser.....my wife is overseas. If I put my mailing address here in canada instead, should I fill up the representative form ? Can both my email and her email be the same on the form ?

Neha56

Apr 14, 2020
Well, that is a pretty big problem. Because your partner became a PR and didn't include you in the app, you are forever excluded from the Family Class. That means you can never be sponsored. He committed misrepresentation in his app.
I understand that this is very serious issue. If we would have known before or our lawyer would have asked us this question on the right time, we would never have went for common law application. As I mentioned earlier we are already planning traditional wedding back home for the year 2022 and just wanted save enough to be able to take full responsibility of the wedding. This is why we wanted to apply for common law to start with because of limited finances at the time. Now that this is not an option, we are thinking of a small civil ceremony here in Canada and then apply for Spousal Sponsorship. If we go in this direction, would that be okay then?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I understand that this is very serious issue. If we would have known before or our lawyer would have asked us this question on the right time, we would never have went for common law application. As I mentioned earlier we are already planning traditional wedding back home for the year 2022 and just wanted save enough to be able to take full responsibility of the wedding. This is why we wanted to apply for common law to start with because of limited finances at the time. Now that this is not an option, we are thinking of a small civil ceremony here in Canada and then apply for Spousal Sponsorship. If we go in this direction, would that be okay then?
IRCC doesn't accept the "it was the lawyer's fault" excuse. It is 100% the applicant's responsibility to ensure the infromation in their app is correct.

You don't understand. You are forever excluded from the Family Class and unable to be sponsored. Getting married won't change that. You can't be sponsored by him. You will need to qualify to immigrate yourself.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Guys, on form 0008, I am the sponser.....my wife is overseas. If I put my mailing address here in canada instead, should I fill up the representative form ? Can both my email and her email be the same on the form ?
Yes, you need to fill out the rep form if you do this.

Neha56

Apr 14, 2020
IRCC doesn't accept the "it was the lawyer's fault" excuse. It is 100% the applicant's responsibility to ensure the infromation in their app is correct.

You don't understand. You are forever excluded from the Family Class and unable to be sponsored. Getting married won't change that. You can't be sponsored by him. You will need to qualify to immigrate yourself.
We have not filed our common law application nor are we planning to. We were preparing the file but after these facts we are not going to apply for common law anymore.