+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I do not know their procedure, if they open the application packages right away, they would see it was sent to the wrong address and return it fairly quickly, possibly 2-4 weeks, they return apps via regular mail. When sending it again , if you didn't the 1st time,make sure to use Express Post or a courier company so you can track it.

Pdcarino2

Apr 14, 2020
I do not know their procedure, if they open the application packages right away, they would see it was sent to the wrong address and return it fairly quickly, possibly 2-4 weeks, they return apps via regular mail. When sending it again , if you didn't the 1st time,make sure to use Express Post or a courier company so you can track it.
They received the application on feb 1st week.

kegsey07

Apr 14, 2020
Hi All,
Hoping for some insight. I've received what I believe is my DM:
"
Common-Law Partner in Canada Class.
It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent
residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class.

Furthermore, we are pleased to advise you that processing of your application has been
completed. The Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada office in Vancouver will contact
you to arrange an appointment for the finalization of your permanent resident application."

Can someone first confirm for me that I have received my PR? Secondly does anyone have any information regarding timelines for interviews with everything that is happening? Are they still operating?

Thank You.

Reactions: malimu

malimu

Star Member
Mar 18, 2019
Ottawa
Hi All,
Hoping for some insight. I've received what I believe is my DM:
"
Common-Law Partner in Canada Class.
It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent
residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class.

Furthermore, we are pleased to advise you that processing of your application has been
completed. The Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada office in Vancouver will contact
you to arrange an appointment for the finalization of your permanent resident application."

Can someone first confirm for me that I have received my PR? Secondly does anyone have any information regarding timelines for interviews with everything that is happening? Are they still operating?

Thank You.
Says you will be contacted by Vancouver You do not seem to have yet gotten PR but is almost there once you finish with Vancouver office

kegsey07

Apr 14, 2020
Says you will be contacted by Vancouver You do not seem to have yet gotten PR but is almost there once you finish with Vancouver office
Oh. I was under the impression i was approved but just needed to fave it finalized at the office? It's not a formal interview with me and my spouse is it?

malimu

Star Member
Mar 18, 2019
Ottawa
i seem to think that way as likely they need to confirm in the interview if all is legit, may be some one can help you as well

said this i like to ask you a few questions too.. can i??

Neha56

Apr 14, 2020
Hello everyone, I have an extreme situation here and would appreciate if anyone can help me this:

- Express entry refusal in 2019 and work permit expiring in September 2020.

- Preparing file for common in law. My file is ready to go and my lawyer mentioned it to me just yesterday that because we declared each other single when we filed express entry and not common in law partners, this will be misrepresentation. Me and my bf are cohabitating since 2017 and honestly had no idea of this term back then. This news is extremely devastating for us at this point because we worked with lawyers from last 4 months and they failed to ask/Inform this basic question before we should have even started with the application.

- My concern here is what are my options? Common law application seems very risky with my situation. We want to consider spousal sponsorship because anyway we have planned our traditional wedding for year 2022. We are thinking to get civil ceremony done here in Ontario, but at the same time we do not want it to look like marriage of convenience. Additionally with covid-19 everything is closed.

Can someone please help me with these questions? I will really appreciate any help and any advice. I thank you in advance.

kegsey07

Apr 14, 2020
Hello everyone, I have an extreme situation here and would appreciate if anyone can help me this:

- Express entry refusal in 2019 and work permit expiring in September 2020.

- Preparing file for common in law. My file is ready to go and my lawyer mentioned it to me just yesterday that because we declared each other single when we filed express entry and not common in law partners, this will be misrepresentation. Me and my bf are cohabitating since 2017 and honestly had no idea of this term back then. This news is extremely devastating for us at this point because we worked with lawyers from last 4 months and they failed to ask/Inform this basic question before we should have even started with the application.

- My concern here is what are my options? Common law application seems very risky with my situation. We want to consider spousal sponsorship because anyway we have planned our traditional wedding for year 2022. We are thinking to get civil ceremony done here in Ontario, but at the same time we do not want it to look like marriage of convenience. Additionally with covid-19 everything is closed.

Can someone please help me with these questions? I will really appreciate any help and any advice. I thank you in advance.
I'd advise you go spousal sponsorship. As proof of this application you need to supply proof of your relationship. If you've been living together for a long period of time, you will have lots of utility bills, banking information, rental agreements with each other that will predate the marriage licence which will help your case. You can also get signed letters from your family etc attesting to your relationship. This way you're not misrepresenting and you have plenty of evidence to suggest you've been in a long standing relationship.

Neha56

Apr 14, 2020
I'd advise you go spousal sponsorship. As proof of this application you need to supply proof of your relationship. If you've been living together for a long period of time, you will have lots of utility bills, banking information, rental agreements with each other that will predate the marriage licence which will help your case. You can also get signed letters from your family etc attesting to your relationship. This way you're not misrepresenting and you have plenty of evidence to suggest you've been in a long standing relationship.
Thank you so much for the reply. We have so much evidence of cohabitation and financial support over the years, this was the reason we went for common law. I was discussing the same thing with the lawyer yesterday and they never seems to give you a clear answer. I asked them that I have only 5 months left and would want to get married and apply before my WP expires, they told me that I have to extremely careful about not making it look like marriage of convenience, regardless of how much proof you have of your relationship. My question here is, is there any specific months of gaps suggested between marriage certificate date and applying for sponsorship. Do these dates have to be apart by months ?

kegsey07

Apr 14, 2020
Thank you so much for the reply. We have so much evidence of cohabitation and financial support over the years, this was the reason we went for common law. I was discussing the same thing with the lawyer yesterday and they never seems to give you a clear answer. I asked them that I have only 5 months left and would want to get married and apply before my WP expires, they told me that I have to extremely careful about not making it look like marriage of convenience, regardless of how much proof you have of your relationship. My question here is, is there any specific months of gaps suggested between marriage certificate date and applying for sponsorship. Do these dates have to be apart by months ?
No, me and my husband got married a month before my work permit expired. There's nothing wrong with getting married so you can stay together if the relationship is genuine. If anything it proves how committed you are to each other. You just need to be able to prove the relationship.

Neha56

Apr 14, 2020
No, me and my husband got married a month before my work permit expired. There's nothing wrong with getting married so you can stay together if the relationship is genuine. If anything it proves how committed you are to each other. You just need to be able to prove the relationship.
Thank you so much. I will look into this. One more question, what happens if because of covid-19 I am not able to get married and get certificate(10- 12 weeks wait after the ceremony) to apply for sponsorship before my WP expires. What happens to my statuts is Canada? Do I have to leave the country or can still request for OWP?

kegsey07

Apr 14, 2020
You should really try your best to get married before your certificate expires. At least to get the licence, i'm sure your town hall will reopen soon. It's just an over the counter purchase and you may be able to find an officiant who performs the ceremony abiding SD. You could then explain in your application that celebrations etc were postponed due to COVID. You need to be in status to apply for OWP. I didn't get mine (owp) because i was out of status at the time of submission. Once you are married you can legally stay in the country even if you are out of status and you can apply for spousal sponsorship being out of status but you wont be granted an OWP.

Jiniya

Apr 14, 2020
Hi there,

Since my application we had a baby. I realized that the imm5406e is now obsolete, so my husband and I filled them out again including junior. We submitted the new files via Web Form last week, and CIC just emailed with confirmation of receipt.

They also included some very general info about how to add people to the sponsorship. My issue is that it's very unclear whether we need to do anything more to update the application. Do they actually need a hard copy?

Summary:
- spousal sponsorship stalled for some time (reviewing eligibility + processing background check)
- baby arrived since application, so sent in new imm5406e (mine and sponsor's) digitally
- received confusing confirmation email from CIC

Do I need to send them more info, or just go back to waiting?