+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

sunshine83

Jan 25, 2012
it mean i must stay in Canada and wait for interview call

There's two parts to the whole process. The first part takes two and a half months. The second part depends on where your VO is.

dadaem

Aug 16, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 6, 2011
Med's Done....
Nov 8, 2011
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
Feb 24, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
July 17, 2012
LANDED..........
July 31, 2012
sunshine83 said:
hi

sir what do u mean "Wait until you have been approved as a sponsor, that takes about 2.5 months" i am
confuse sir .

Wait until you have been approved as a sponsor, that takes about 2.5 months. Then you can go visit but do not stay long. I would say 3-4 weeks maximum and make sure somebody is there at your apartment to check your mail and messages in case immigration tries to get in touch. As a PR, you must reside in Canada in order to sponsor. If they find out that you have left Canada, even if you feel that it is not a long stay, they could cancel your application. Once cancelled, of course you can appeal their cancellation or apply again but you will have lost some precious time and you will not get that back.
Hi sunshine.

Stage 1 of the Sponsorship is the Sponsor Evaluation. It normally takes 2-2.5 months. You can leave Canada but to your own risk though. Sometimes CIC requests for additional documents or worst, if your package isn't complete, they send it back. So I suggest, you might as well stay until you are approved as a sponsor. Then you can visit your family once the application is already in the VO of your country. However, CIC requires all addresses to be up to date in case they want to be in touch with you. Because of the confidentiality of applications, they don't require representatives unless otherwise stated on your application.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sunshine83 said:
it mean i must stay in Canada and wait for interview call
There is no certainty of an interview call for the sponsor. Most likely you will just be notified that your file has been transferred from Mississauga to the visa office responsible for your spouse's homeland. That means the sponsor approval is done and they will move on to processing the PR application of your spouse.

The reason you should stay in Canada during the sponsor processing part is because they are more likely to try to contact you during that part than later on in the processing. Of course they might still try to contact you later on and that is why you should not leave for too long. As a PR, you must be residing in Canada in order to sponsor your spouse. If immigration tries to contact you and finds that you have left Canada, they may assume that you are not residing in Canada any more and could cancel the application.

sunshine83

Jan 25, 2012
thanks for helping me thanks

There is no certainty of an interview call for the sponsor. Most likely you will just be notified that your file has been transferred from Mississauga to the visa office responsible for your spouse's homeland. That means the sponsor approval is done and they will move on to processing the PR application of your spouse.

The reason you should stay in Canada during the sponsor processing part is because they are more likely to try to contact you during that part than later on in the processing. Of course they might still try to contact you later on and that is why you should not leave for too long. As a PR, you must be residing in Canada in order to sponsor your spouse. If immigration tries to contact you and finds that you have left Canada, they may assume that you are not residing in Canada any more and could cancel the application.

Woffles

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Good evening.

This is an amazing topic and forum, so glad I found it before spending money talk to some guy who would likely just tell me what I already know or could find out for free. Just wanted to start by saying thank you :)

So, my situation is this:

I (English) have been with my boyfriend (Canadian) for about 18 months now, we have had a joint bank account for about a year and have been living together since July 2011 (although no proof aside form maybe some mail going to the same address, as we were temporarily subletting for a couple of months) and then we moved into our own place on September 1st 2011. Both our names are on the lease and we don't share with anyone else. I went back to the UK for a month and a half at the beginning of May 2011 to apply for my new visa under the UK IEC working holiday programme, but obviously this does not impact on us living together.

The plan was to always apply for sponsorship/PR soon after our one year of living together, but I was applying for the second visa under the IEC programme to buy more time and to be able to continue to work. Unfortunately this visa was denied a couple of days ago due to ineligibility as to get this visa you have to have resided in the UK consecutively for 18 months out of the last three years. I have been in Canada for around 2 years and 2 months. So now I'm starting to make sure I have all my ducks in a row for the PR/Sponsor application but I'm unsure of the best way to apply, either inland or outland. My main concern is that I will be unable to work for an extended period; I have savings and my current IEC visa does not expire until June 16th 2012 so I plan to keep saving up until then, and also my partner will be able to help out and has said he will get another job, but me not working for say, 6-12 months or more, is obviously not really ideal. What is the quickest way that I can begin working again? I am planning to extend my stay as a visitor when my current visa expires (I did this in Nov 2010 for 6 months and had no issues) and my employer will likely hold my position for me so I know that I will have work as soon as I am legal to do so again. Does it help because I technically have a job offer? He (my employer) has also offered to sponsor me but because the position is classed as low skilled, I'm doubtful that the LMO will be approved and even he said I am better off going down the family class route. Also, we live in an awesome place now and really don't want to lose it and had/have every intention of signing a new 12 month lease for Sept 2012. I'm guessing that will help with the evidence of the relationship for the PR application, but obviously there's the risk of me not working for a period and also being denied the PR (but fingers crossed this will not happen).

I think we have a decent amount of evidence, I kept receipts for household things we bought when moving in together, I have emails from the time that I went back to the UK, I can probably get my phone records for that time as well. We have photos, a cosigned lease, a joint bank account, I have met his immediate family and there are photos, we have greetings cards from our respective parents to the both of us, I can get all the phone records from when we started dating, etc.

I hope this post makes sense as there's so much going on in my head right now and trying to get it all written down in some sort of order was a bit hard! Also, apologies if a similar query has arisen, but as much as all the posts are very interesting and informative to read, I'm feeling rather overwhelmed!

If you need more info let me know. Many thanks for your time! :)

Chey

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Definitely apply outland. It should be WAY faster than inland since you're from the UK.

Unfortunately having a job held for you here will not speed up the process. (The job will make no difference for the spousal PR application.)

Once your PR is approved and you officially land in Canada as a permanent resident, you will be able to work again. If you want to be able to work faster than that, then you would have to find an employer who's willing to go the LMO route.

Woffles

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Cool, I had a feeling that outland would be best. I know it said it in the opening post in this thread, but I just want to confirm that I can apply via the outland route whilst still being in Canada?

Also, is there the option to submit an open work permit at the same time as the PR application? And can I definitely only work after I have officially got the PR and landed? I thought I read something about people being able to work after the first stage was passed successfully?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you very much for getting back to me! :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Woffles said:
I just want to confirm that I can apply via the outland route whilst still being in Canada?
Yes, you can apply outland no matter where you are. Outland just means that your application is processed outside Canada.

Woffles said:
Also, is there the option to submit an open work permit at the same time as the PR application? And can I definitely only work after I have officially got the PR and landed? I thought I read something about people being able to work after the first stage was passed successfully?
There is no open work permit for outland. Open work permit after first stage approval is for inland only.

You have a choice. Inland where you must stay in Canada and will get first stage approval and work permit in hopefully 11-12 months or outland where you can stay where you want to and will have most likely have your PR in much less than 11-12 months, probably more like 6-8 months.

Mohamed_Hassan

Star Member
Nov 24, 2010
Egypt
Visa Office......
Cairo
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
AOR Received.
18-01-2013
File Transfer...
23-01-2013
Med's Done....
18-10-2012
Interview........
26-05-2013
Passport Req..
27-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
18-06-2013
LANDED..........
01-07-2013
Hello, and thank you to anyone that may have a reply. I have also posted this in the Cairo Office thread. I am hoping to get some opinions.

I am a new member and have a few questions. I think it might be worth explaining the situation to get the most out of your time and experiance.

I met my wife online in 2008, we have comunicated via e-mail,msn, skype, and text messages from then untill now. She came to Egypt in March of 2010, where we met for the first time in person. She lived in her own apartment, and we married in November. We did not live together,untill after we married. I stayed with her, but we have no proof other then saying it was so. Perhaps the landlord of the apartment would write a letter saying I did, but I was not on the contract she signed in March 2010, other then as a witness. The woman(landlord) was reluctant to rent to her(my wife) as she's not Egyptian, so that's why I signed the contract as well.

My wife returned to Canada in Feb of 2011, then came back for 2 months (October5-December9 2011), where she stayed in my family home with myself and my mother, brother and sister.

Of course during the time we were together there are no e-mails, no msn or skype chats, but lots of texts. we did take a few trips(pyramids) and go to some clubs so we have some pictures, but alot of them she is in our home, and does not have her hijab on so they are not able to be sent in to CIC.

We did not have an engagement party or wedding party, as my relatives would not aprove of our marriage. Due to the fact I cannot as of yet take full responsibility financially they would disapprove and possibly be vocal with other family and friends that I married her for a visa and or money.

There is only 2 family members outside of my parents and siblings (also my sister has recently married and her husband and his family know, and she has met my sisters husband.)that know of our marriage, and a few of my friends, (which have also been introduced to her.)

My parents are very worried and feel it would also cause some of the family to look badly towards my wife because she came here with no gaurdian.(against family/social traditions) Also they(my parents) feel if we(the family) is made to look bad (married of convience)that it will effect the likely hood of my younger siblings getting married in the futrure.

So because of all of this we do not have strong proof of our relationship and we are worried that if we apply we will be turned down.

We have applied for a TRV but were refused for it also. ties to my country was one of the reasons for that.I would have liked to be able to visit Canada to decide if I want to live there without the wait time of the PR and having to spend so much time away from my wife.

My questions are: (from the explanation of our situation) do you think we will face problems?

We plan to have our wedding party/reception in Canada, which is why wanted to get the TRV also.Would that help as proof? her wedding dress and other things, invitations,ect. no date though as we dont know when we will be there for it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sorry if this seems scattered about, i am just trying to get it all so it will give a clear idea of the situation. I can see from her point of view that if someone wanted to turn these facts it can be taken negitavley, so I have no idea what to do......Also to note, she is 10 years older than me.

Thank you in advance for your time and opinions....

Woffles

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Leon said:
Yes, you can apply outland no matter where you are. Outland just means that your application is processed outside Canada.

There is no open work permit for outland. Open work permit after first stage approval is for inland only.

You have a choice. Inland where you must stay in Canada and will get first stage approval and work permit in hopefully 11-12 months or outland where you can stay where you want to and will have most likely have your PR in much less than 11-12 months, probably more like 6-8 months.
Awesome, thanks very much for breaking that down for me (I'm sure you have probably repeated the info a million times!).

When I applied to change my status to visitor last time, I specified a date that I would be leaving (and I left on that day), what should I put this time? (my current visa will expire before we are eligible to apply for the PR). Just the maximum (6 months?) and then extend again when that is close to expiring? Sorry, I know that sounds like a really dumb question.

I have spent the last few hours reading this forum, seeing other peoples' triumphs and heartbreaks and I go from being super optimistic to feeling utterly hopeless... we're just an average couple, we meet all the sponsor criteria (apart from he gets assistance with his BC Med, but we'll get that sorted) and I have no medical issues or criminal record or anything that would make me inadmissible. By the time we start applying we'll have been together for about two years, which isn't that long in the grand scheme of things, but we love each other, are committed to each other and I love BC and being here and with my partner is the happiest I've ever been. I know CIC/border services don't care about that but realistically, do we actually have a decent chance?

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Woffles said:
Awesome, thanks very much for breaking that down for me (I'm sure you have probably repeated the info a million times!).

When I applied to change my status to visitor last time, I specified a date that I would be leaving (and I left on that day), what should I put this time? (my current visa will expire before we are eligible to apply for the PR). Just the maximum (6 months?) and then extend again when that is close to expiring? Sorry, I know that sounds like a really dumb question.

I have spent the last few hours reading this forum, seeing other peoples' triumphs and heartbreaks and I go from being super optimistic to feeling utterly hopeless... we're just an average couple, we meet all the sponsor criteria (apart from he gets assistance with his BC Med, but we'll get that sorted) and I have no medical issues or criminal record or anything that would make me inadmissible. By the time we start applying we'll have been together for about two years, which isn't that long in the grand scheme of things, but we love each other, are committed to each other and I love BC and being here and with my partner is the happiest I've ever been. I know CIC/border services don't care about that but realistically, do we actually have a decent chance?
Put the 6 months' maximum. They might give you longer, provided you give all the proper documentation. I wouldn't worry too much, in your shoes. A UK/Canadian couple is likely to experience very little difficulty being approved, you have similar standards of living so there is no real assumption that this is a matter of trying to gain status in Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Woffles said:
Just ask for the maximum, work on your application and once you are ready to apply, send it in right away. When your visitor status is about to expire, they say 30 days before but as long as you apply before it expires, you are ok, you apply to extend it. You can find the application forms here or you can even apply online. Most couples waiting for sponsorship are approved so you want to make sure you mention that you are applying for that. The processing time to extend are now 33 days if you apply on paper and 15 days if you apply online, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp but as long as you haven't heard back, you are under impled status and are allowed to stay. If they say no, you have to leave though.

As a visitor, you can't work but you are allowed to take short courses, less than 6 months, no college credits. You can also look for a job and see if you can get an LMO and a work permit. Separate application, does not interfere.

sunshine83

Jan 25, 2012
Spousal sponsorship

i am pr card holder ..... i apply my husband last month who working in KSA and i want to visit him so any one help me ........
how long i can stay there

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sunshine83 said:
i am pr card holder ..... i apply my husband last month who working in KSA and i want to visit him so any one help me ........
how long i can stay there
Your question was answered earlier in this thread by Leon. Please see his answers.