+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

M

magpie

mapleleafs2011 said:
Just a quick question.

I was following the "Guide to sponsorship" [IMM 3900]

Up until Step 3 where it says "Pay the Fees"

Basically, at this point I haven't filled out any of the Applicant forms yet. Am I suppose to pay for the Sponsor + Principal Applicant + Right of Perminent residence fee now?

Once the fees are paid, do I mail in my sponsor application seperate from my spouses application?

I'm applying outbound.

Sounds a bit dumb.. but it doesn't mention it too much :(

Thanks for the help in advance.

Yes you pay the fees first and then put a copy of the receipt in with your application to sponsor and application for Permanent 'Resident package

mapleleafs2011

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
magpie said:
Yes you pay the fees first and then put a copy of the receipt in with your application to sponsor and application for Permanent 'Resident package
Is the sponsor application sent seperate from the principal applicant?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mapleleafs2011 said:
Is the sponsor application sent seperate from the principal applicant?
No - you must send everything together as one package.

trini777

May 24, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Quick question, when ordering the CAIPS notes can you fax your authorization to release personal information and have the person in Canada use this. Or is it necessary to have the original copy of the form?

M

magpie

trini777 said:
Quick question, when ordering the CAIPS notes can you fax your authorization to release personal information and have the person in Canada use this. Or is it necessary to have the original copy of the form?
I have used faxed copies as legal submittion in court so I can not see why it would be a problem.

yoda99

Sep 28, 2011
HI Leon
Very helpful and educational information!
I have a question.
I moved to Canada in 1982 as a PR i got my citizenship some time 1993-1993.

On the form IMM 1344 "If you are permanent resident or naturalized Canadian citizen, provide following....."
9. a) The date you obtained this status (whichever is more recent)

I don't remember when i got it. i tried to call all department but no one can provide the date. Should i leave it blank?
9. b) UCL/Clint ID
I have no idea what it is. i don't have anything like that.

Another question is my have two kids from previous marriage. The children are Canadian citizens live in Canada. I pay monthly maintenances for them.
Do I need to list them on form IMM 5481, 6. B)
I really appreciate your help.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't leave it blank. If you got your citizenship in 1993, put 1993. If you don't have client ID, then put N/A.

No need to list your Canadian children.

yoda99 said:
HI Leon
Very helpful and educational information!
I have a question.
I moved to Canada in 1982 as a PR i got my citizenship some time 1993-1993.

On the form IMM 1344 "If you are permanent resident or naturalized Canadian citizen, provide following....."
9. a) The date you obtained this status (whichever is more recent)

I don't remember when i got it. i tried to call all department but no one can provide the date. Should i leave it blank?
9. b) UCL/Clint ID
I have no idea what it is. i don't have anything like that.

Another question is my have two kids from previous marriage. The children are Canadian citizens live in Canada. I pay monthly maintenances for them.
Do I need to list them on form IMM 5481, 6. B)
I really appreciate your help.

mapleleafs2011

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
Some questions about "Additional Family Information" IMM 5406E

1. It says Complete ALL names in English and in your native language.
The person filling this out (my wife.) speaks english and her native tongue. Do I have to absolutely fill it out in both languages? She's an American Citizen.

2. In Section A where it says "Spouse or common-law partner"
Does this still apply to me as I'm the one sponsoring her? I don't see why she would have to put me.

Misc questions.

1. Can I just contact the call centre and ask questions about the application form? Or is this a no no? (1-888-242‑2100)

2. How long are processing times nowadays? Is it still around 1 year to get a PR? (American -> To Canada)

visanews

May 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Great post Leon,

One question............how does the process change if I am looking to reside with my wife in Quebec? She is a Quebeccer, I am British and currently on a visitor visa. From what you say, for the purpose of speed, it's a better option to apply outland(to London I guess) but I understand Quebec has a different set of rules?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
visanews said:
One question............how does the process change if I am looking to reside with my wife in Quebec? She is a Quebeccer, I am British and currently on a visitor visa. From what you say, for the purpose of speed, it's a better option to apply outland(to London I guess) but I understand Quebec has a different set of rules?
The only thing that is different in Quebec is that you need the approval of Quebec immigration before you can immigrate there. You do not have to do anything differently. You use the same application format as for spousal sponsorship in any other province and immigration will take care of getting this document from Quebec for you.

Monarca

Sep 29, 2011
Hello Leon,
I would like to consult with you on my situation in order to prepare a strategy regarding a family sponsored visa for a spouse. I am originally from Mexico and currently have a PR, with a landing date in July 2010. In my PR application I enclosed my then-wife and my two children. But I submitted our apps in 2006 and things did not go well in my marriage, so in 2009 we separated and got divorced in 2010. So my ex-wife never landed in Canada within the period required to validate her PR visa, but my 2 children did (although they still live with their mother in Mexico). Due to all the family problems derived from the divorce, I had to postpone my settlement in Canada, which I am planning to do at the end of this year. Late last year I started a relationship with a Mexican woman, which has turned serious so I want to include her in my plans to move to Canada. We have not married yet but have plans to do it in a few months. What would be a convenient route to follow to apply for a family sponsored visa for her that would let us be together in Canada while the app is processed?
She already has a multiple-entry visitor visa valid through 2013, so she has no problem traveling to Canada as a non-resident visitor. She also intends to apply for an ESL program in Canada for a 6-12 month course, so she could apply for a student visa. Would it help if we get married in Canada instead of abroad? My current plan is to settle in Canada late this year, have her come to Canada in January on a student visa, get married in Canada, apply for the Family sponsored visa inland and wait in Canada while it is processed.
Will it take shorter if we get married in Mexico and apply to the FS visa at the embassy in Mexico? If we do this, can she still apply for a student visa to take an ESL course for 12 months? If we get married in Mexico, how long do we have to wait before we can apply for a Fs visa? The intent is that we dont have to live apart while the application is being processed. Please advise.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Monarca said:
Will it take shorter if we get married in Mexico and apply to the FS visa at the embassy in Mexico? If we do this, can she still apply for a student visa to take an ESL course for 12 months? If we get married in Mexico, how long do we have to wait before we can apply for a Fs visa? The intent is that we dont have to live apart while the application is being processed. Please advise.
If you get married in Mexico and she then applies for a student visa, she risks being refused because she has a PR spouse and might be planning to overstay. If she applies for a student visa before getting married, I think she has a better chance of getting it. You do not have to apply inland even if she is in Canada. You have a choice of outland too. Mississauga currently takes 68 days to approve you as a sponsor, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp and after that, Mexico is taking 14 months to process 80% of the cases. If she is legally in Canada on a student visa, she could also opt to be processed in the US which means if she is called for an interview, she needs to be able to travel to the US but the processing time is shorter there or 11 months for 80%. You can see timelines or real cases at trackitt.com

If you go for inland, you are looking at 10-11 months for first stage approval and 9 months added to get PR. The first stage approval will get her health care in most provinces as well as an open work permit. She must stay in Canada for inland because if she leaves and for some reason is unable to get back in, she would lose her application.

miszbaby

Aug 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HI leon..ask ko lng po sana kung ilang month ang hihintayin para maaprove ng canadian visa for spouse?

FEBRUARY 3 2011-past the papers (MISSISSAUGA)
FEBRUARY 7 2011-i receive a letter for medication for my husband
APRIL 8,2011-i receive a letter for the PR
AUGUST 7 2011-my husband send the requirements for MANILA VISA OFFICE passport,nbi,marriage contract,cemomar,
SEPTEMBER 13 2011-my husband send another requirements

now were still wating for the visa.......i hope someone help me pls!pls!pls!pls! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
miszbaby said:
HI leon..ask ko lng po sana kung ilang month ang hihintayin para maaprove ng canadian visa for spouse?

FEBRUARY 3 2011-past the papers (MISSISSAUGA)
FEBRUARY 7 2011-i receive a letter for medication for my husband
APRIL 8,2011-i receive a letter for the PR
AUGUST 7 2011-my husband send the requirements for MANILA VISA OFFICE passport,nbi,marriage contract,cemomar,
SEPTEMBER 13 2011-my husband send another requirements

now were still wating for the visa.......i hope someone help me pls!pls!pls!pls! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Just for the record, I don't actually speak Tagalog but according to Google translate, you want to know how many months it will take to approve your husband in Manila.

The answer to that is that it is hard to say exactly how many months it takes. If you look at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp#asia you see that Manila is taking 10 months for 80% of cases of spouse visa. That means that if your cases is in the faster 80% of cases, it will take less time. You can also look at trackitt.com for timelines of other people to get an idea.

Angus

Star Member
Sep 15, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

Just a general question that has had me wondering.

I've recently applied inland and my husband is sponsoring me. I've had my medicals done and sent everything off. After reading a few threads in this forum, I've come to realise that I will more than likely be requested to get my medicals done again, as the first stage processing time at the moment it up to 11 months.

So I'm wondering, if medical results don't really matter under the spousal sponsorship class - then why do they make us do them again?

Just seems odd...