+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

MrScarface

Jan 18, 2015
Ponga said:
Outland may be faster for you (depending on your visa office abroad), but with an Outland application you are not eligible for an OWP. You can certainly remain in Canada during the process, as long as you apply (online) to extend your visitor status prior to it expiring.

Unlike an Inland application, if you leave and then return to Canada, and are denied re-entry, your application continues without any delays. The only exception to that would be if you are denied re-entry because of a criminal matter, which would make you inadmissible to Canada...which would also disqualify you for PR. Just because a person is refused entry, or re-entry into Canada, doesn't always mean that they are inadmissible.
Thank you, so you can pretty much say the following:

Pro Inland:
Able to apply for OWP
Not having to extend my visitor status every time it expires

Con Inland:
Longer processing times
Cant leave country during whole process

Pro Outland:
Possibly shorter processing time
Able to leave the country

Con Outland:
Unable to work through whole application process
Have to extend visitor visa every time
In case of a interview i have to fly to europe just to attend the interview

Is that correct or did i miss something?

Plus when you say i have to extend my visitor visa all the time, can this be a problem once i, for example, apply to extend for the second time or so?

Right now im thinking Inland might still be better since i would atleast be able to work after a few months while for outland id be without work for the whole processing time, which is for my visa office in Vienna, 17 months right now

bigredmoose

Dec 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, AUS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2014
AOR Received.
24-12-2014
File Transfer...
06-01-2015
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
27/04/2015 (COPR)
LANDED..........
08/07/2015
MrScarface said:
Right now im thinking Inland might still be better since i would atleast be able to work after a few months while for outland id be without work for the whole processing time, which is for my visa office in Vienna, 17 months right now
Hold on a sec - the wait times posted are not actual estimates of how long it takes. They're just saying that 80% of applications out of Vienna are processesd WITHIN 17 months. You need to connect with people in a Vienna thread to get their experience in order to more accurately judge the wait times. The vast majority of people across visa offices report much faster processing times than what's posted. For example, my visa office has a wait time of 14 months but we had a decision made in 2.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
MrScarface said:
Pro Outland:
Possibly shorter processing time

Con Outland:
Have to extend visitor visa every time
In case of a interview i have to fly to europe just to attend the interview

Plus when you say i have to extend my visitor visa all the time, can this be a problem once i, for example, apply to extend for the second time or so?

Outland will most definitely be a shorter processing time.

You can ask for a longer visitor extension; CIC quite often gives one year extensions or even longer.

Provided you guys have good proof of your genuine relationship and no red flags, your chances of being called for an interview are pretty much nil. This should not even factor into your decision.

Show proof of funds and proof of the PR app and extending your visitor status won't be an issue. As I said above, you can request a longer extension and might not have to extend it more than the one time. There are many on the forum who have extended their visitor status for several years; CIC is very lenient when people are in the process of applying for sponsorship.

As said above, the posted processing times are not averages. I think Vienna averages about a year but I suggest you post on the Vienna thread to get a better idea.

MrScarface

Jan 18, 2015
Thank you guys, you helped me out a lot.
I definitely see the advantages of the outland application and just the fact that we might be over with everything in about a year or so would be worth it, even if it means i have to life off of my savings longer.

Now another question to this:
Lets say we get married, apply outland and i'm staying on a visitor visa in Canada, would it be possible for me to apply for a student visa and already start studying?
Or is that going to be too much going on at the same time and it would be advised to just wait until i hopefully get the pr to start studying?
(I know international student tuition is much higher but please dont let that be a factor in your answer)

angel2812

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NewDelhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13th aug 2014
AOR Received.
19th november2014
File Transfer...
19th november2014
Med's Done....
17th july2014 Remed- 17th aug 2015
Interview........
waived acc to notes
Passport Req..
IP- 10th sept DM and PPR -28th sept 2015
VISA ISSUED...
6th oct 2015
IAM IN THE SAME BOAT AUM.. WE APLIED ON 13thAUG .. same like you.. havent received any update yet.. god knows how long we have to wait..
till now july applications are being sorted..

angel2812

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NewDelhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13th aug 2014
AOR Received.
19th november2014
File Transfer...
19th november2014
Med's Done....
17th july2014 Remed- 17th aug 2015
Interview........
waived acc to notes
Passport Req..
IP- 10th sept DM and PPR -28th sept 2015
VISA ISSUED...
6th oct 2015
can some one let me know, does it delay the processing if there is a second marriage situation.. iam worrid .. please reply

userpg

Star Member
Feb 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2015, received by CIC: 15-05-2015
AOR Received.
18-06-2015
File Transfer...
SA: 15-07-2015, AOR2: 06-08-2015
Med's Done....
18-03-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-10-2015
LANDED..........
07-12-2015 :)
bigredmoose said:
Hold on a sec - the wait times posted are not actual estimates of how long it takes. They're just saying that 80% of applications out of Vienna are processesd WITHIN 17 months. You need to connect with people in a Vienna thread to get their experience in order to more accurately judge the wait times. The vast majority of people across visa offices report much faster processing times than what's posted. For example, my visa office has a wait time of 14 months but we had a decision made in 2.
Wow. That's impressive! I hope my application will only take 2 months as well :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
MrScarface said:
Lets say we get married, apply outland and i'm staying on a visitor visa in Canada, would it be possible for me to apply for a student visa and already start studying?
Or is that going to be too much going on at the same time and it would be advised to just wait until i hopefully get the pr to start studying?
There is no issue with applying for a study permit while the PR app processes.

userpg

Star Member
Feb 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
18-06-2015
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
18-03-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-10-2015
LANDED..........
Do you know if they check credit history of Sponsor?
I am sure that they check if the sponsor got any social help in the past years, criminal record and stuff like that but what else do they check?

ASHABU

Star Member
Feb 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
sao paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/4/2015
AOR Received.
21/05/2015
File Transfer...
25/05/2015
Sponsorship Evaluation – (IMM 5481) Q5

Hi Guy,
I'm confused how to answer question 5 of the Sponsorship Evaluation – (IMM 5481). I'm sponsoring my wife (we married in January), and she is my only undertaking,
" Number of persons included in box#3 of the generic Application Form Canada IMM 0008, unders section Application Details "

application IMM 0008 will be filled by my wife only ,,so they are referring to her application, right ?

my understanding is that i will answer like this
i will only fill the box under Q5 A with one , is that right ?..

also in the end of the form where it asks to fill the "details of the family members included in the undertakings in effect or not in effect yet"
Im not sure if i have to fill my wife details and where ??

ASHABU

Star Member
Feb 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
sao paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/4/2015
AOR Received.
21/05/2015
File Transfer...
25/05/2015
Sponsor Questionnaire (IMM 5540) Q8

Hi guys:
I need you help in this question please

Sponsor Questionnaire (IMM 5540)

Q8 Have you reside in countries other than Canada?

dose that include the time before i became a permanent resident ? for example i became a PR on 2005 and since i did not reside outside canada so when i answer this question should i mention the countries where i reside before i come to canada, and what about my home country where i grow up, should i include this one also ?

appreciate you help,
Ash

userpg

Star Member
Feb 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
18-06-2015
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
18-03-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-10-2015
LANDED..........
Re: Sponsorship Evaluation – (IMM 5481) Q5

ASHABU said:
Hi Guy,
I'm confused how to answer question 5 of the Sponsorship Evaluation – (IMM 5481). I'm sponsoring my wife (we married in January), and she is my only undertaking,
" Number of persons included in box#3 of the generic Application Form Canada IMM 0008, unders section Application Details "

application IMM 0008 will be filled by my wife only ,,so they are referring to her application, right ?

my understanding is that i will answer like this
i will only fill the box under Q5 A with one , is that right ?..

also in the end of the form where it asks to fill the "details of the family members included in the undertakings in effect or not in effect yet"
Im not sure if i have to fill my wife details and where ??
I had the same problem with Q5 IMM5481 - my wife is sponsoring me so we put in question4 yourself: 1 person, question5: current undertaking: 1 person (meaning me) Question 7: total: 2 persons. I think that this is correct, but someone let me know :)

"Details of family members included in the untertakings in effect or not in effect yet" - as you can see it's about 'Persons included in previous undertakings you signed as a sponsor...

Someone please check if I'm right. Thanks :)

Dublin14

Jan 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga (London)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-12-2014
AOR Received.
05-03-2015
Med's Request
17-03-2015
Med's Done....
15-12-2014
Hey

Anyone been in the situtation where they were requested to send in a medical, even though you sent it in with your application originally?? According to CIC, they didn't receive my medical....but acccording to my doctor they sent it in electronically?

I'm going to the doctors today to pick up some proof of medical, but i don't know where to send it. My application is being processed in Mississauga, but i'm afraid if i send it there it won't be seen for weeks with all the applications going there

sugeee

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30, 2015
Doc's Request.
August 13, 2015
AOR Received.
May 29,2015
File Transfer...
SA: July 6, 2015
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
April 16, 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
August 13, 2015
Garry2008 said:
If you will provide in table format it will be easy to read.
I did a table format. :) thank you!
Now I am just a little concerned by the number of names... It's more than a page already...

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
Dublin14 said:
Hey

Anyone been in the situtation where they were requested to send in a medical, even though you sent it in with your application originally?? According to CIC, they didn't receive my medical....but acccording to my doctor they sent it in electronically?

I'm going to the doctors today to pick up some proof of medical, but i don't know where to send it. My application is being processed in Mississauga, but i'm afraid if i send it there it won't be seen for weeks with all the applications going there
I would be giving CIC a call . Did they send you an email? if so you can reply back to that email and give them the name of the Dr and number on your file when you went to have your medical . Did you take photos copies of the proof of medical for yourself.