+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

sevarubbo

Feb 28, 2015
Hi everybody,

I am a permanent resident. My girlfriend came to Canada in November 2014 to study English with an SX-1 visa. We got married in January 2015 and already applied for an Inland Spousal Sponsorship. She is able stay here up to 6 months (until May 2015). Because of the new rules she has to have a legal status here while our application is in process.

Can she apply for an extension of her stay as a visitor for the time we wait for our application to be approved? Can she change her student status to a visitor status (for more than 6 months)?

Thank you in advance!

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
BChome said:
Hi
A decision was made on my application on Feb 9 (London Visa Office) and I still haven't been notified of the decision. Will the decision be sent to me (applicant in UK) or my other half (sponsor in Canada)?
My ECAS still is registering my permanent address in Canada even though CIC have been notified that my current temporary address is in the UK and has been since May 2014.
Its now 4 weeks since the decision was made and neither of us has heard anything? Is this normal?
Getting nervous...
Any advice appreciated

You have been on my mind all day .Fingers and toes crossed

kuchikooo

Mar 1, 2015
Hi forum-mates,

I would like to ask for advice about our situation.

My boyfriend and I eloped last November and now we are so stressed on how to answer the forms.

I married my boyfriend of three years last November. We had a civil wedding and had only two friends as witnesses. My husband stayed in the Philippines for only 3 weeks and left for Canada again to continue his studies.

We still plan to have a traditional church wedding with all our family and friends in April 2016. I've already booked a church and a couple of suppliers for our church wedding (i have contracts and receipts).

We decided to have a civil wedding last November so we could start the sponsorship early. We kept it a secret because we knew our parents would be disappointed that we did not wait to get married in the church. Both of our parents are very traditional and we know that they would not understand.

When we started to check the required immigration forms just last month, that's when we started to get worried because we saw the questions about the ceremony and whether our parents were present or not.

Here are my questions:

1. If we mention in the application that we kept our civil wedding a secret from our parents, will the visa officer see this as a red flag and reject our application? Our parents are aware of our relationship and I have photos of my husband with my family when he was still in the country. They're just not aware that we got married.

2. Do we still have a chance for approval of our sponsorship application? Should we push through with the application or are we doomed to fail?

3. Is there anyone here who's been in the same situation? (Eloped but was approved for spousal application)

4. My husband is still a student but he will graduate this April. Will he be approved to sponsor?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

catbayou

Feb 27, 2015
In your case you have to deliver the civil wedding certificate from NSO, the church dont deliver a wedding certificate, you have to send all the picture that you have and the prove that it is not a fake wedding,
Religious wedding dont count,
what they gone do with that, accept or refuse , i can t say, but if you dont apply you will never go to canada, just sent what you have, and explain clearly your situation and your story, .

Mrs.Christmas

Feb 25, 2015
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-09-2015
AOR Received.
21-02-2015
File Transfer...
05-03-2015
Med's Request
Re-medical requested 19-11-2015
Med's Done....
upfront 03-10-2014, remedical completed 30-11-2015
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
Requested 04-12-2015, Arrived at VO 10-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made 12-12-2015
kuchikooo said:
Hi forum-mates,

I would like to ask for advice about our situation.

My boyfriend and I eloped last November and now we are so stressed on how to answer the forms.

I married my boyfriend of three years last November. We had a civil wedding and had only two friends as witnesses. My husband stayed in the Philippines for only 3 weeks and left for Canada again to continue his studies.

We still plan to have a traditional church wedding with all our family and friends in April 2016. I've already booked a church and a couple of suppliers for our church wedding (i have contracts and receipts).

We decided to have a civil wedding last November so we could start the sponsorship early. We kept it a secret because we knew our parents would be disappointed that we did not wait to get married in the church. Both of our parents are very traditional and we know that they would not understand.

When we started to check the required immigration forms just last month, that's when we started to get worried because we saw the questions about the ceremony and whether our parents were present or not.

Here are my questions:

1. If we mention in the application that we kept our civil wedding a secret from our parents, will the visa officer see this as a red flag and reject our application? Our parents are aware of our relationship and I have photos of my husband with my family when he was still in the country. They're just not aware that we got married.

2. Do we still have a chance for approval of our sponsorship application? Should we push through with the application or are we doomed to fail?

3. Is there anyone here who's been in the same situation? (Eloped but was approved for spousal application)

4. My husband is still a student but he will graduate this April. Will he be approved to sponsor?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I been given advice from a lawyer about this. It's likely a red flag, but that doesn't mean rejection. Just means more scrutiny as to whether your relationship is genuine & on-going. Some cultures have more traditional & strict values and its common to hear these kinds of problems. Have lots of evidence of your relationship is my advice. Also I don't know if u are living together or not but its better if you are, and if it's for s longer period (which you could be considered common law if it's at least 12 months).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Lenok said:
My boyfriend is a Canadian citizen and we have lived together in Canada for 2 years and 2 months already, so he is my common law partner, but he is married in Canada. They do not live together though for 5 years already, but they can not get a divorce, because they have undivided business.
Can I apply for permanent resident card anyways as his common law partner or should we wait until he gets divorce?
Your partner can sponsor you as his common-law partner even though he is still married. He will need to show evidence that the marriage ended and I suggest including an explanation and evidence on why they have not divorced yet. There is no need for a lawyer as another poster suggested above.

sevarubbo said:
We got married in January 2015 and already applied for an Inland Spousal Sponsorship. She is able stay here up to 6 months (until May 2015). Because of the new rules she has to have a legal status here while our application is in process.

Can she apply for an extension of her stay as a visitor for the time we wait for our application to be approved? Can she change her student status to a visitor status (for more than 6 months)?
She should have submitted an OWP app with her inland PR app. She can submit it now http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/updates/2014/2014-12-22.asp. She will have Implied Status after her current status expires in May until she receives her OWP.

SudhaK

Mar 1, 2015
Re: Spousal sponsorship Outland vs Inland

Thanks so much for this tremendous resource. I am a Canadian Citizen married to a US citizen. We live in NYC but soon moving back to Vancouver as a secured new job there. After reading posts in your forum it seems like Outland is the best way to go.

Questions: If we submit an outland application can we move together to Canada, she as a visitor? My wife will be keeping her US based job until we transition completely and she will need to travel back and forth, what do we need to do to ensure that will not be a problem?
Thanks Again.

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012

SudhaK said:
Thanks so much for this tremendous resource. I am a Canadian Citizen married to a US citizen. We live in NYC but soon moving back to Vancouver as a secured new job there. After reading posts in your forum it seems like Outland is the best way to go.

Questions: If we submit an outland application can we move together to Canada, she as a visitor? My wife will be keeping her US based job until we transition completely and she will need to travel back and forth, what do we need to do to ensure that will not be a problem?
Thanks Again.
As long as your partner doesn't have all her stuff and worldly possessions piled high in the car, and she says she is visiting (she is not moving. You are. ) it would look better if you moved your stuff first, and then she is just visiting you. She can show her job and place of residence she will be living at in the US. It shouldn't be a big problem for you. So 1) she must say she is visiting. 2) she shouldn't arrive with a whole boat load of stuff that is not normal of a person visiting.

vik999

Jul 4, 2014
GTA
Visa Office......
mississauga

I was able to login after 10 months on submitting Inland application... Showed the following when we login..

Received on ....date

We have Started processing on ... date...

We were not able to login, or check status from past 10 months, now able to see on online ... What does it mean? Are they going to issue step 1 AIP now???

stavan2003

Jan 31, 2015
Hello all, I am in process of applying for Spousal visa [wife having a Canada PR].

She is currently visiting me in India. Her dates for getting back to Canada are not yet fixed. I had a couple of queries in this regard.

1. Will it be ok for us to apply for spousal visa from India ?
2. If she stays back for 5-6 months in India once we apply, will this be of concern ?
3. During her stay in India will it be ok for her to get a temporary job and work ? Will this be of any concern if we declare the same under the employment section in her Sponsors Form ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

farzad_87

Mar 1, 2015
Hi all'

I'm Iranian and need a Visa to enter Canada. My wife is a Permanent Resident (PR) and I don't want to start spousal sponsorship now, because it a time consuming process and during this time I can not go Canada!

Therefore, I prefer to go there as a visitor. I want to know is there any chance for me to obtain vista through visitor application? How can I prove for the officer that I will return to Iran?

Thank you.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
stavan2003 said:
Hello all, I am in process of applying for Spousal visa [wife having a Canada PR].

She is currently visiting me in India. Her dates for getting back to Canada are not yet fixed. I had a couple of queries in this regard.

1. Will it be ok for us to apply for spousal visa from India ?
2. If she stays back for 5-6 months in India once we apply, will this be of concern ?
3. During her stay in India will it be ok for her to get a temporary job and work ? Will this be of any concern if we declare the same under the employment section in her Sponsors Form ?

Thanks a lot in advance.
As a PR, she must be in Canada to sponsor you, so unfortunately your plan is not possible. If she indicates that she is in India and working there, the application will be refused.
PR sponsors are allowed temporary visits, but 5-6 months is not temporary.

kuchikooo

Mar 1, 2015
Mrs.Christmas said:
I been given advice from a lawyer about this. It's likely a red flag, but that doesn't mean rejection. Just means more scrutiny as to whether your relationship is genuine & on-going. Some cultures have more traditional & strict values and its common to hear these kinds of problems. Have lots of evidence of your relationship is my advice. Also I don't know if u are living together or not but its better if you are, and if it's for s longer period (which you could be considered common law if it's at least 12 months).
Thanks for the advice Mrs. Christmas. We havent lived together so we wont qualify for common-law. May I know why you were given advice by a lawyer about this kind of situation? Were you in the same situtation as ours? What did you do with your application? Was it succesful?

bigredmoose

Dec 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, AUS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2014
AOR Received.
24-12-2014
File Transfer...
06-01-2015
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
27/04/2015 (COPR)
LANDED..........
08/07/2015

SudhaK said:

Thanks Again.
No, she can not "move" to Canada. If the CBSA feels she is moving to Canada, you can expect her to be turned away, possibly with an exclusion order.

She is allowed to visit for 6 months at a time. She can apply for extensions, but ideally it should look upon entry that she's planning on leaving within 6 months. If the CBSA feels she is visiting, then you should be OK. In order to satisfy the CBSA that she is only visiting, they can ask the following questions:

-How long are you staying in Canada?
-When is your return ticket booked for?
-Do you still have a home to go to in the USA?
-What do you do for a living in the USA?
-When do your friends & colleagues expect you back?
-Who can we call to confirm that?

They can also look at what you're bringing with you. If it looks like anything other than what would be expected for a visit (like packing 15 purses and a bunch of "Enjoy your new life in Canada" greeting cards*) you can expect problems.

So basically how you present yourselves at the border and how you answer their questions are vitally important.

*As seen on Border Security