+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

rs7k

Jan 4, 2015
If the spouse to be sponsored is a South Korean national on a F-1 visa (student) in the USA, which office would an outland application be processed at?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rs7k said:
If the spouse to be sponsored is a South Korean national on a F-1 visa (student) in the USA, which office would an outland application be processed at?
It's possible that it would be processed in Ottawa, assuming s/he has been in the U.S. for at least 1 year.

Ottawa is the processing center for the majority of Americans, so being legally admitted to the U.S. for a year or more, could offer the same benefit for him/her.

NJ2Canada2013

Star Member
Dec 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
File Transfer...
26-08-2014
Med's Done....
13-11-2013
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2015
Has anyone had difficulties with their marriage certificate? I requested my certificate from Service Ontario. I sent in the copy and all of a sudden cpc-ottawa is telling me that they have my license not my certificate. I paid $22 for my certificate and it's certified by the office of registrar general. Anyone understand this or been through this that can advice me on what to do

lighty_j

Star Member
Oct 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Sep-2014
AOR Received.
20-Oct-2014
Med's Done....
25-08-2015
Interview........
SA: 27-10-2015
Passport Req..
AIP: 17-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
DM: 17-01-2016
LANDED..........
12-02-2016
NJ2Canada2013 said:
Has anyone had difficulties with their marriage certificate? I requested my certificate from Service Ontario. I sent in the copy and all of a sudden cpc-ottawa is telling me that they have my license not my certificate. I paid $22 for my certificate and it's certified by the office of registrar general. Anyone understand this or been through this that can advice me on what to do
Have you tried to order certificate online? It worked for me. They mailed it to my home address in a week or so.

RandyD

Jan 6, 2015
Need some info. Sponsoring my wife and son this year. They reside in the Philippines.

Her friend says Permanent Resident application but every time I look at the qualifications for PR, I think it should be Family Class.

Which is the correct app?

Thanks for the reply:)

Ramtin88

Jan 4, 2015
Hi guys, a couple of questions I was hoping you could help me with.

1. In the form IMM3911 (Middle East and Central Asia) Appendix A, it says that:

"For any family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, send a photocopy of their:
•citizenship certificate,
•permanent resident card,
•Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 orIMM 5688),
•immigrant visa"

If my spouse is the sponsor and is a Canadian citizen, does that mean I have to include all the above? What should we do if we don't have them any longer? We only have the citizenship certificate.

2. In part 5 it says that "If the sponsor is a permanent resident of Canada, you must provide a copy of his/her Immigrant or Permanent Resident Visa or Card. Residents of Iran must also provide a copy of sponsor’s “Shenas Nameh”."

So this would not apply to me since my sponsor is a citizen and not a permanent resident correct?

3. In part 8 (PHOTOS) it says "Supply eight (8) recent photos for each member of your family and yourself."

Does this mean I have to provide a photo of my sister, mom, dad, and my sponsor?

ccastillo

Star Member
Aug 18, 2014
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JAN-05-2015
Doc's Request.
AUG-04-2015
AOR Received.
MAR-11-2015 AOR2 Received: APR-16-2015
File Transfer...
MAR-15-2015 In Process: AUG-06-2015 Decision Made: SEPT-22-2015
Med's Request
OCT-29-2014 (Upfront)
Med's Done....
AUG-21-2015 (Re-Medical)
Passport Req..
SEPT-10-2015 | SENT SEPT 11 2015
VISA ISSUED...
SEPT-28-2015
LANDED..........
OCT 11-2015
RandyD said:
Need some info. Sponsoring my wife and son this year. They reside in the Philippines.

Her friend says Permanent Resident application but every time I look at the qualifications for PR, I think it should be Family Class.

Which is the correct app?

Thanks for the reply:)
If your spouse and son lives with you in canada use the application for Permanent Residence Application. But if they are still in the Philippines you'll have to apply as a sponsor first in order for you to get your family via Outland Application.

Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

ccastillo

Star Member
Aug 18, 2014
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JAN-05-2015
Doc's Request.
AUG-04-2015
AOR Received.
MAR-11-2015 AOR2 Received: APR-16-2015
File Transfer...
MAR-15-2015 In Process: AUG-06-2015 Decision Made: SEPT-22-2015
Med's Request
OCT-29-2014 (Upfront)
Med's Done....
AUG-21-2015 (Re-Medical)
Passport Req..
SEPT-10-2015 | SENT SEPT 11 2015
VISA ISSUED...
SEPT-28-2015
LANDED..........
OCT 11-2015
Ramtin88 said:
1. In the form IMM3911 (Middle East and Central Asia) Appendix A, it says that:

"For any family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, send a photocopy of their:
•citizenship certificate,
•permanent resident card,
•Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 orIMM 5688),
•immigrant visa"

If my spouse is the sponsor and is a Canadian citizen, does that mean I have to include all the above? What should we do if we don't have them any longer? We only have the citizenship certificate.

3. In part 8 (PHOTOS) it says "Supply eight (8) recent photos for each member of your family and yourself."

Does this mean I have to provide a photo of my sister, mom, dad, and my sponsor?
1. Either or any of the following. Citizenship Certificate is okay. But make sure you look for the Record of landing form because you'll need that in the future for his pension. That is very important.

3. Your family members include your spouse or common-law partner, your dependent children and any children that are their dependent children. Your sister, mom, dad or siblings are not included.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sunnyinlombardy said:
I have a job offer for July 1st in Calgary for a company that I worked with before. I'd really miss out on this opportunity becase he can't get a work permit and I can't be away from him because we have a one year daughter together. We wanted to travel to Vancouver first, stay with my family for about a month and try to find an apartment in Calgary for July 01 as well. I'm just so confused and it just seems so difficult, no matter how we decide to do it. I'm not so worried how long it takes for him to get PR as much as him being able to work.
You only have 2 options:

1. Get your outland app submitted ASAP and he will already be 5 months into the process once you get to Calgary. As I said, average processing time through Rome is about 8-10 months, so he would most likely be a PR by around November of this year.

2. Wait until you get to Canada in June, complete an inland app and submit it. He *might* get a work permit around October (this is a new thing announced recently by CIC and no one knows how accurate the given timelines will be). With the current processing time, it could then be around June 2017 before he becomes a PR.

zbaby

Nov 18, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO/Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
Med's Done....
25-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-09-2015
rhcohen2014 said:
1) there's no way to check unless you have the tracking information. CIC will not be able to verify it was delivered.
2) the sponsor will receive notification the application has been received, called an AOR, (maybe - not all people get this) and then will receive the sponsor eligibility letter (SA). It is currently taking more than 60 days to process sponsor approvals, so do not expect to hear anything until at least the end of February.
3) there's no standard as to "how long it takes" to reach a visa office. once it arrives, it sits in queue waiting to be processed. it certainly will NOT be processed immediately upon arrival at the visa office. to get a good idea as to what to expect with your visa office, then you will need to find the thread specific for that visa office.
Thanks Milesaway and rhcohen2014. we have tracked the application finally and it has reached at Mississauga office on 29th Dec, 2014.
1) i need your help again to know if i can apply for visit visa to see my husband during the process of my application?
2) how it will impact my application? will they stop the process and will wait for me to exit?

kindly assist!!

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
2cookies said:
no did not meet the residency requirement.
Any suggestion?
I'm not an expert in this so maybe the senior members can chip in but given you haven't met the requirements of the PR then my guess is you would be at high risk of having your PR revoked. If that were the case then you would either have to reapply for PR again and enter Canada under the normal procedures for your native country in the meantime.

sunnyinlombardy

Star Member
Mar 30, 2013
canuck_in_uk said:
You only have 2 options:

1. Get your outland app submitted ASAP and he will already be 5 months into the process once you get to Calgary. As I said, average processing time through Rome is about 8-10 months, so he would most likely be a PR by around November of this year.

2. Wait until you get to Canada in June, complete an inland app and submit it. He *might* get a work permit around October (this is a new thing announced recently by CIC and no one knows how accurate the given timelines will be). With the current processing time, it could then be around June 2017 before he becomes a PR.

I'm starting to think that it's best to do outland and then just wait, He could alway take a course for something or learn English while we are waiting. But I was just wondering, how certain are you that the processing time is 8 - 10 months in Rome? I mean I don't see many posts about this on this forum or anywhere else.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
sunnyinlombardy said:
I'm starting to think that it's best to do outland and then just wait, He could alway take a course for something or learn English while we are waiting. But I was just wondering, how certain are you that the processing time is 8 - 10 months in Rome? I mean I don't see many posts about this on this forum or anywhere else.
Rome office thread:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/rome-office-t189732.0.html

sunnyinlombardy

Star Member
Mar 30, 2013
rhcohen2014 said:
Rome office thread:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/rome-office-t189732.0.html
cool, thanks so much. I didn't see this before.

I'm off to filli out the applications now, and collect all documents. Do I send the sponsor application and the application for my husband together?