+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

TableView

Aug 6, 2011
CharlieD10 said:
P.S. A permanent resident is required to reside in Canada 730 days out of every 5 year period (on a rolling basis). Remember that when your wife has PR and you are off in Africa, so she doesn't run afoul of the residency requirement. :)
Just saw this....and cursed a blue streak. Why can nothing be easy?

In the perfect world, we're going to be living and working in places like Malawi, Zambia and South Africa for the foreseeable future. But if and when we pop out bambinos (or if things happen like the things that are currently happening in Malawi and soon SA) we're likely going to want to be able to get the heck out and come home/somewhere safe until the dust settles. And yes, we'd like to do that together. In Canada.

Should I go ahead an assume that her going for citizenship is the only way to ensure this is possible? And should I also assume that undertaking that process will require a 5 year commitment. I'm going to Google it, but if anyone has related experience, it would be very helpful.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Yes, Canadian citizens can reside anywhere. Canadian Permanent Residents must reside in Canada as per the residency requirement in order to keep the status. However, provided she is out of the country with you, she can keep her residency, as there are exceptions made for PRs accompanying their citizen spouses outside of the country, or working for a Canadian company, or government agency.

Citizenship requires 1095 days of physical presence in Canada out of the last 4 years in order to be eligible to apply.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
CharlieD10 said:
Yes, Canadian citizens can reside anywhere. Canadian Permanent Residents must reside in Canada as per the residency requirement in order to keep the status. However, provided she is out of the country with you, she can keep her residency, as there are exceptions made for PRs accompanying their citizen spouses outside of the country, or working for a Canadian company, or government agency.

Citizenship requires 1095 days of physical presence in Canada out of the last 4 years in order to be eligible to apply.
To add... It takes approximately a year to get citizenship once you apply.

student123

Aug 6, 2011
My husband will gonna apply for my immigiration INSHALLAH in sept...How much time it will take to process he will gonna apply from ISLAMABAD....Can you guyz guide me which proves can i submit to prove our marriage and get early response from immigiration office....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
student123 said:
My husband will gonna apply for my immigiration INSHALLAH in sept...How much time it will take to process he will gonna apply from ISLAMABAD....Can you guyz guide me which proves can i submit to prove our marriage and get early response from immigiration office....
Processing times for Islamabad are:

Approximately 1 month of processing at the Mississauga office

+

Approximately 24 months of processing at the Islamabad office

So approximately two years total. See the following page for time line information:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
henryocana said:
thanks LEON. one more thing can you give me some timeline of the application and links of documents needed for the application
you are really a big help man! THANKS IN ADVANCE.
Here are some links for you:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/caregiver/extend-stay.asp#resident

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/live-in.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-other.asp - right now 15-16 months to get first stage approval for her and an open work permit and after that another 16 months to get PR.

TRM2011

Star Member
Aug 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
18-09-2012
File Transfer...
10-10-2012
Med's Done....
04-08-2012
Passport Req..
19-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
04-02-2013
Hi there,

I live in Canada and have applied to sponsor my wife who lives in India.

My wife received a letter dated 28 February, 2011 requesting for her passport and other documents if they were not already submitted. It looked like a regular system generated letter.

My wife sent her passport around 15 March to New Delhi.

The status on the CIC website from Application Status is shown as:

"We received your application for permanent residence on February 21, 2011.
We started processing your application on March 17, 2011."

It has not been 6 months since March 17, 2011. However, my wife is left without her passport and she cannot travel anywhere.

My questions are:
1. Is this the regular way the New Delhi office asks for the passport and keeps it for almost 6 months?
2. Should it say in the application status that the passport was received?
3. How can I contact the High Commission in New Delhi to get more information on the application?

It would be great if someone can answer my questions.

Spritz

Star Member
Mar 31, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all,

Just thinking and wanting to start everything for sponsoring my Egyptian husband. The idea we have, get a lawyer.... then apply for visitor visa and sponsorship... Hopefully get accepted for one of them... wanting the visitor visa, becuase we were rejected the first time when I was actually with him in the country and we miss eachother like hell.
I m seriously very nervous. I want to apply for a sponsorship but I m terriffied of being rejected and never seeing him again ... in Canada... I don't want to go back to Egypt. I really don't but... I really don't want to loose the love of my life.

The story is, for the last while I've been looking at information regarding sponsoring and everything... I hear and am told that if I get accepted to sponsor him.. which should take 2 months to process my application in Canada to see if I can.... then all that needs to happen is that he is accepted.. which is very likely he will, because people tell me you can't be rejected unless you have some sort of disease or a criminal record or something like that.
I'm hoping this will happen, becuase I'm unsure about my husbands visitor visa working, even if we have a lawyer.

I'm told money isn't an issue for spouses, and I'm hoping that part is true, because I do have a job... I arrived in Canada again, April 14 and got this job June 2. I work only part time, don't make a lot of money ... all the money right now is being put toward documents, affidavids for proof or our relationship... mailing and the lawyer. On top of the damn fees you gotta pay. I may not have any money in my account when I first pu tmy applications in. Maybe after I send it .. I will have more money coming in. But again its not alot, and I live in a house with my mother who is on supsidised houseing. I'm hearing mixed things... mainly positive things here about money and subsidised housing.

My questionns are.... if I start the sponsor... send in my applications with my 75$ and his $1040 .... will I be rejected because of my situation? and will I have to spend another $1040 on the fees.. his fees? I can't be rejected.. and this is so serious for his country because the country as you all knwo is in hell right now.

What can I do.... I cant wait any more without being with him. I m heart broken this way, we just got married a year ago and we had our first annaversary christmas, new year everything apart.

One last question would be.. if I get accepted... will I be able to leave and be with him while we wait for his applications to be sent and processed?... like be in his country away from mine?

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
1) Spousal sponsorships are exempt from Low Income Cut-Off requirements, you do not need to show a certain minimum income in order to be eligible. The financial requirements are not to be an undischarged bankrupt, and not to be in receipt of social assistance except for reason of diability. Subsidised housing is not considered welfare for these purposes.

2) Your $75 fee is included in the total of $1,040. In the event his application is rejected, $490.00 is refundable as this represents the Right of Permanent Residence Fee. All other fees are non-refundable.

3) Sponsors who are Canadian citizens are not required to remain in-country while sponsoring their spouses/family members. That restriction applies only to Permanent Residents sponsoring their spouses/family members.

Spritz

Star Member
Mar 31, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks So much... certainly did make me think alot...
so then my case should be ok.. I should be able to sponsor him no problem?

Do you have to mention on the application that I am living with a mother who is in subsidized housing?

And... do we have to pay the full $1040 at once.. ? or Can it be paid.. my $75 first.. then he pays the $490 then $475?
I heard it slows it down if you don't pay all.. by 2 months or so. is this true?

zzanzee

Aug 8, 2011
i wanted advice regarding spousal application.Both me and my husband and my two children and our one son live in the uk.my husband is a french national and a Canadian citizen.we had previously applied for family class and just closed the file as it was taking over 3 years in south Africa and we moved to the UK one year after we submitted to s a as i am a south African citizen but now has legal status in the uk due to him.we don't want it to take as long from the UK and have all documents ready to submit but are just waiting for police clearance from south Africa which takes so long and then will do the medical for me and my daughter(other kids are Canadian)my daughter is my husbands step daughter.My husband works in the UK but is now looking to go back to Canada and find a job their.I previously stayed in Canada on a holiday visa and overstayed, i left when i married my husband to do a out-land application, which as i said is not closed.we want to do a inland application as we don't want the kids to be away from each other if my husband gets a job soon,does Canada accept temporary visa applications on basis of doing inland permanent residency application for married couples with children. so stressed and just afraid it will take another few years to do this application and we have been married for almost 5 years and have a 3 year old son who is Canadian and my 9 year old son is Canadian.just don't want to be separated as a family.that's why we moved to the UK :'(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
student123 said:
thanku scylla

Is there any way of getting process early in ISLAMABAD office...
24 months is a lot of time for me :(
There is no fast track / expedite processing available. However some applications are processed faster than 24 months. And if you want to increase your changes of having your application processed faster, make sure all of the forms are complete when you submit the application, all police certificates and proof of the medical are included, and provide sufficient supporting documentation to prove your relationship is genuine.

T7

Star Member
Apr 15, 2011
Visa Office......
Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-11-2010
AOR Received.
18-12-2010
File Transfer...
30-12-2010
Med's Done....
16-09-2010
Passport Req..
01-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-09-2011
LANDED..........
10-09-2011
Can someone please advice me on background check? What is the appprox. time period for that to be completed? What are the steps after background check?

pad980

Feb 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6-10-2011
AOR Received.
30-08-2012 AIP
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
05-08-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
LANDED..........
21-06-2013
Re: Spousal sponsorship - QUESTIONS

Hello,
I was wondering what forms we have to fill out in order to sponsor my husband who lives with me in Canada. We got married here in Canada as well and we have a 3 month old baby. Some of the form are really confusing. So here is what I think I have to fill out.
These forms are for permanent resident.
Forms: IMM 5443 - checklist
IMM0008 - generic application
IMM 5669 - schedule A background
IMM 1344 - application to sponsor
IMM 5481 - sponsorship evaluation
IMM 5285 - spouse questioner
IMM 1017 -medical report
IMM 5476 - use of a representative
5401 - receipt

Do I need to fill out form for sponsorship as well? Those forms are only for sponsorship from outside of Canada... I mean the only ones that I can find.
Can you please help to point me in the right direction.
I just don't know which ones to fill out now. On this page the document checklist is different and there is much more extensive spouse questioner.