+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship: Passport Expiry

GIE34

Jun 8, 2017
What would you recommend? what is the best way to aquire a passport from the Mexican consulate without the Original?
Probably the best way is to wait until the CIC send you a passport request letter, then show it to the immigration center the letter, asked them u need your passport coz u can't renew passport without your old passport, that may delay your papers though. When imhave my landed interview , they asked for my old passport, the one I used to enter here in Canada. Or asked a consultant about it.

thurstade

Jan 28, 2019
My husband applied to sponsor me as a permanent resident, inland. He's a citizen BTW. Anyways, I don't have valid status in Canada but I was told by the CIC call office to stay until a decision is made.

One problem though, my passport expired as I'm waiting and I have no way of renewing it without a valid permit. I'm hoping to get the work permit soon so I can make the trip down to Vancouver to get it renewed. Let's hope they'll renew it.

Aaaaand there's a risk to it. Apparently the government of Malaysia (the country I am from) may suspend my passport due to it being expired while I'm still here in Canada. I actually came to the point where I think I might not be able to go back to my country until I become a Canadian citizen (or get kicked out the country, which is not very favourable).

So my concern is, if I get the PR (crossing my fingers here), do they ever ask for passport? I am no so sure about it, some say they have to hand in their passport when they get the invitation (I've no idea what this meant, can somebody clarify this to me?) and some say they got it in the mail or something like that. I would really appreciate it if someone can reply to me on what happened the moment you find out that you are getting the permanent residency.

Thanks. :)

TL;DR passport expired, no way to renew it. Do I need a passport while waiting for PR? Outlines on how things go after you find out that you get the PR are appreciated.

Hi there, fellow Malaysian here in the same boat. How did the passport situation go? Did you need a passport for the PR? My passport has expired and PR application in process.. and now they are asking for my valid passport.

Appreciate your help! Thanks!

thurstade

Jan 28, 2019
I know, but in my situation, can't leave my child here, my husband is working so nobody would look after him if I applied outland. Oh and when I applied inland only, didn't apply for owp or trv for I'm out of status foryears.Am I eligible now to apply for TRV or owp? When I checked my status online, for I can't link my application, it's shows 1. Application received 2. Medical results received.

Here's my timeline:
They received my application Sep 28
By December, they asked for police certificate and schedule background A. Send the documents last january.
First week of April, they asked me for medical, and last week they received the medical result.
Hi, just to let you know I’m in the same boat. How did your application go? Did they grant you a PR without a valid passport? Thanks

GIE34

Jun 8, 2017
Hi, just to let you know I’m in the same boat. How did your application go? Did they grant you a PR without a valid passport? Thanks
I landed last Oct 2018. U need to have a valid passport, they will send u a letter, before Decision Made.
After my medical examination, went to renew my passport, though I'm out of status. I brought my old passport, birth certificate, emails from the immigration about my application, and had to execute affidavit.