+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship: Passport Expiry

xathanael

May 11, 2016
My husband applied to sponsor me as a permanent resident, inland. He's a citizen BTW. Anyways, I don't have valid status in Canada but I was told by the CIC call office to stay until a decision is made.

One problem though, my passport expired as I'm waiting and I have no way of renewing it without a valid permit. I'm hoping to get the work permit soon so I can make the trip down to Vancouver to get it renewed. Let's hope they'll renew it.

Aaaaand there's a risk to it. Apparently the government of Malaysia (the country I am from) may suspend my passport due to it being expired while I'm still here in Canada. I actually came to the point where I think I might not be able to go back to my country until I become a Canadian citizen (or get kicked out the country, which is not very favourable).

So my concern is, if I get the PR (crossing my fingers here), do they ever ask for passport? I am no so sure about it, some say they have to hand in their passport when they get the invitation (I've no idea what this meant, can somebody clarify this to me?) and some say they got it in the mail or something like that. I would really appreciate it if someone can reply to me on what happened the moment you find out that you are getting the permanent residency.

Thanks. :)

TL;DR passport expired, no way to renew it. Do I need a passport while waiting for PR? Outlines on how things go after you find out that you get the PR are appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your post is lacking a number of details which it difficult to answer your questions. I assume you have been sponsored for PR through spousal sponsorship and using the inland process - yes? I assume you have recently received AIP/first stage approval or are expecting it soon and this is why you hope to get a work permit soon - yes?

To the best of my knowledge you do need to have a valid passport in order to complete the inland landing interview and become a PR. I don't believe you can land without a valid passport. So you'll need to sort that out. Hopefully someone else can confirm.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
xathanael said:
One problem though, my passport expired as I'm waiting and I have no way of renewing it without a valid permit. I'm hoping to get the work permit soon so I can make the trip down to Vancouver to get it renewed.
You will not be granted a work permit without a valid passport. As per immigration law, foreign nationals are required to have a valid passport for the length of their stay. CIC cannot grant status to a foreign national in Canada with an expired passport.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
canuck_in_uk said:
You will not be granted a work permit without a valid passport. As per immigration law, foreign nationals are required to have a valid passport for the length of their stay. CIC cannot grant status to a foreign national in Canada with an expired passport.
Yes - good point. That requires a valid work permit too.

xathanael

May 11, 2016
scylla said:
Your post is lacking a number of details which it difficult to answer your questions. I assume you have been sponsored for PR through spousal sponsorship and using the inland process - yes? I assume you have recently received AIP/first stage approval or are expecting it soon and this is why you hope to get a work permit soon - yes?

To the best of my knowledge you do need to have a valid passport in order to complete the inland landing interview and become a PR. I don't believe you can land without a valid passport. So you'll need to sort that out. Hopefully someone else can confirm.

Yes, I am hoping to get the work permit very soon. If that's the case I may have to practically beg the government of Malaysia to issue me a passport. :'( I should be expecting news regarding the AIP by February 2017 if they're sticking to the 18 months processing time.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
xathanael said:
Yes, I am hoping to get the work permit very soon. If that's the case I may have to practically beg the government of Malaysia to issue me a passport. :'( I should be expecting news regarding the AIP by February 2017 if they're sticking to the 18 months processing time.
As I stated, immigration law requires that foreign nationals have a valid passport in order to be granted status in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
xathanael said:
Agreed with the above. The work permit isn't going to be issued until you are holding a valid passport again. So the first step is to obtain a new passport. The work permit will come after that.

goodlife123

May 9, 2016
Canada
Visa Office......
NDVO
App. Filed.......
21-03-2016
AOR Received.
19-04-2016
File Transfer...
02-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Can anyone from NDVO tell me the process after PPR?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
goodlife123 said:
Can anyone from NDVO tell me the process after PPR?
Wrong thread.

Kellz

Jan 26, 2018
My husband applied to sponsor me as a permanent resident, inland. He's a citizen BTW. Anyways, I don't have valid status in Canada but I was told by the CIC call office to stay until a decision is made.

One problem though, my passport expired as I'm waiting and I have no way of renewing it without a valid permit. I'm hoping to get the work permit soon so I can make the trip down to Vancouver to get it renewed. Let's hope they'll renew it.

Aaaaand there's a risk to it. Apparently the government of Malaysia (the country I am from) may suspend my passport due to it being expired while I'm still here in Canada. I actually came to the point where I think I might not be able to go back to my country until I become a Canadian citizen (or get kicked out the country, which is not very favourable).

So my concern is, if I get the PR (crossing my fingers here), do they ever ask for passport? I am no so sure about it, some say they have to hand in their passport when they get the invitation (I've no idea what this meant, can somebody clarify this to me?) and some say they got it in the mail or something like that. I would really appreciate it if someone can reply to me on what happened the moment you find out that you are getting the permanent residency.

Thanks. :)

TL;DR passport expired, no way to renew it. Do I need a passport while waiting for PR? Outlines on how things go after you find out that you get the PR are appreciated.
Hi There,
Did you end up renewing your passport?
I'm in the same situation and was wondering what's your outcome

GIE34

Jun 8, 2017
Hello there, i'm in the same situation too. I don't have a valid passport, and I'm in the stage where medical received. And the requirements to renew Philippine passport is you must have a legal status here in Canada, which i'm not. Can anybody help me what to do?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello there, i'm in the same situation too. I don't have a valid passport, and I'm in the stage where medical received. And the requirements to renew Philippine passport is you must have a legal status here in Canada, which i'm not. Can anybody help me what to do?
If you cannot renew your passport here, you need to return to your country to do it.

GIE34

Jun 8, 2017
oh I forgot, I applied under inland spouse sponsorship. I believe you cant leave canada while in process right?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
oh I forgot, I applied under inland spouse sponsorship. I believe you cant leave canada while in process right?
You should have applied outland. You need a passport, so you really have no other option. You would need a TRV to return to Canada; if the TRV isn't approved, you would need to reapply outland.

GIE34

Jun 8, 2017
I know, but in my situation, can't leave my child here, my husband is working so nobody would look after him if I applied outland. Oh and when I applied inland only, didn't apply for owp or trv for I'm out of status foryears.Am I eligible now to apply for TRV or owp? When I checked my status online, for I can't link my application, it's shows 1. Application received 2. Medical results received.

Here's my timeline:
They received my application Sep 28
By December, they asked for police certificate and schedule background A. Send the documents last january.
First week of April, they asked me for medical, and last week they received the medical result.