FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga + Vancouver
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Has someone applied for OHIP and received it?
I was just curious. I have applied and am yet to get my PR approved. but cause of a full-time job and everything, I already have OHIP. Excuse my lack of knowledge in this matter, but do I have to reapply for OHIP once my PR is approved? is that a thing? or people who are talking about OHIP/medical card never had it in the first place? anyone?

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
I was just curious. I have applied and am yet to get my PR approved. but cause of a full-time job and everything, I already have OHIP. Excuse my lack of knowledge in this matter, but do I have to reapply for OHIP once my PR is approved? is that a thing? or people who are talking about OHIP/medical card never had it in the first place? anyone?
Reapply... not sure. But you will definitely need to update your status once you're a PR. Now you should have a temporary card that expires with your work permit.

Reactions: Mutato_KT

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
What is OHIP?
Ontario Health Insurance Plan

You're in Quebec province if I'm not wrong. For you it would be RAMQ. You can already apply with your DM letter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mutato_KT and Trinh

Trinh

Sep 12, 2017
Ontario Health Insurance Plan

You're in Quebec province if I'm not wrong. For you it would be RAMQ. You can already apply with your DM letter.
Oh I see, just different name. Thanks for your information, I know that I can apply a health insurance card with my DM letter. I actually went to RAMQ when I had CSQ and they told me that I can go back when I have DM letter. So I will go there tomorrow or next Monday :) Can't wait to have it. I didn't dare to be ill during winter because of that haha

Oh la la, I just saw your signature! How could your case that fast?!!!

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
Oh I see, just different name. Thanks for your information, I know that I can apply a health insurance card with my DM letter. I actually went to RAMQ when I had CSQ and they told me that I can go back when I have DM letter. So I will go there tomorrow or next Monday :) Can't wait to have it. I didn't dare to be ill during winter because of that haha

Oh la la, I just saw your signature! How could your case that fast?!!!
That was quite slow actually! We applied August 12th, 2015! And my wife got PR in May 26th, 2017! So almost 22 months.

But yah, from now news at all, then SA, AIP separated be a minute or so. Then the next morning, DM.

We also went with the CSQ when we got it... then, after I learned we need AIP or DM to apply.

Last edited:

XtianM

Oct 5, 2017
No. IRCC will clearly tell you when they give you the CoPR that this is not a travel document. Also, the minute you get your PR, all visa, study permit, work permit, etc. they all become void so they cannot be used anymore. There are still ways to travel, one can apply for a permanent resident travel document: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-permanent-resident-travel-document.html

@Oldmacwright in most provinces, you can apply for health insurance using the AIP letter and/or the DM letter.
It is true that COPR is not a travel document. Using a previous visa is just to get onboard the plane, because it still looks valid for airline.

Then when you arrive at any canadian border, not matter if you have PR card or not, even if you have nothing but your passport, you have rights to enter canada.

For your references:
IRPA 27 (1): A permanent resident of Canada has the right to enter and remain in Canada, subject to the provisions of this Act.
IRPA 19 (2): An officer shall allow a permanent resident to enter Canada if satisfied following an examination on their entry that they have that status.

@Oldmacwright It is not 100% moral to use this method, but it still remains practical for an inland PA with previous visa who has urgency to travel within 2months of landing for a short term. We all know sometimes, situations just don't work for the PR travel document.

Last edited:

Oldmacwright

Aug 18, 2017
It is true that COPR is not a travel document. Using a previous visa is just to get onboard the plane, because it still looks valid for airline.

Then when you arrive at any canadian border, not matter if you have PR card or not, even if you have nothing but your passport, you have rights to enter canada.

For your references:
IRPA 27 (1): A permanent resident of Canada has the right to enter and remain in Canada, subject to the provisions of this Act.
IRPA 19 (2): An officer shall allow a permanent resident to enter Canada if satisfied following an examination on their entry that they have that status.

@Oldmacwright It is not 100% moral to use this method, but it still remains practical for an inland PA with previous visa who has urgency to travel within 2months of landing for a short term. We all know sometimes, situations just don't work for the PR travel document.
Thanks, we will probably wait until we get the PR card to be safe, we are planning on going to see my wife’s family around Christmas so will have it way before then but would of been nice to hop on a plane almost right away for a cheap package holiday somewhere like the Dominican just to get away for a week and relax/celebrate after many years of stressing over my wife’s status and the PR process!

Reactions: Danish1371

marvz21

Jan 20, 2015
not reapply. they will just update / replace your ohip card.

Reactions: RecentGrad

JDM2018

Jul 6, 2018
Hi all,

Applicant for July 28th 2017

AIP/SA = 12th June 2018
DM = 13 June 2018

Letter for interview just came through today at 8:58 (20th July 2018) for the 27th July 2018.
It took 5 and a half weeks from DM for us to get the letter for interview, felt like longer though!

We will be landing 1 day short of our 12 month mark.
Finally it will all be over :)

david_gat88

Jul 4, 2018
Hi all,

Applicant for July 28th 2017

AIP/SA = 12th June 2018
DM = 13 June 2018

Letter for interview just came through today at 8:58 (20th July 2018) for the 27th July 2018.
It took 5 and a half weeks from DM for us to get the letter for interview, felt like longer though!

We will be landing 1 day short of our 12 month mark.
Finally it will all be over :)
Congratulations!

Reactions: JDM2018