Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Yes they call G5 and I'm December 14 applicant we got AIP and SA
And in mycic account showing in progress
So, the Corporation (as it's known) is for Refugee sponsorship, from my understanding (could be wrong). Because they're your family, I doubt you can sponsor via G5.

As I understand it, the group is formed and approved. Then CIC assigns the group a family who has applied for refugee status from key hotspots (eg: Syria, Iraq used to be; but the program has ended). Once matched, CIC works out logistics with the corporation, and the family is transported.

It has been a part of Canada's immigration law for a long time. Since the Irish Potato Famine, anyway. That's how many Irish families ended up here -- mine included.

All that said, if you apply with a corporation, I am not sure that you can just select a family. I would suspect conflicts of interest to be raised.

You applied in December....probably another couple weeks to go yet. Also, you are ineligible to apply to sponsor anyone until you're a PR yourself. You could apply to sponsor your parents, assuming you work and earn enough for 3 years. Siblings under 22 can be considered as part of that package, as dependants (I believe).

Here is a quick info site: https://www.smartwaystocanada.com/canada-groups-of-five-sponsorship/

I don't know or trust them. But they seem to know more than I do in this regard. You need 3 / 5 to be Canadians, and the refugees must have refugee status and be recognized by UNHCR as refugees.

Last edited:

rizaki

Star Member
Jun 11, 2017
Today My wife and I went to Montreal CIC office for attending to the landing appointment. A nice officer did all document within 10 minuits, very simple. She asked some questions as below,
1. The first entry date in Canada
2. The last entry date in Canada and in which airport you've been entied.
3. Do you have child in other countries?
4. Wish you always sponsor your wife?

My timeline:

Application sent : 2016.04.19
Application received: 2016.04.20
Start process: 2016.05.24
CSQ demand: 2016.06.10
CSQ received: 2016.07.24
Open Work Permit received: 2016.08.06
AIP received: 2017.09.26
Sponsorship Application Status shows Decision Made: 2017.09.27
Redo Medecin exam the 2017.10.04 and updated the E-medical file.
Permanent Residence Application Status Decision Made2017.10.27
Pre-landing letter received2017.11.10
Landing appointment date and office : 2017.11.23 in Montreal

So 19 months in total from Application sent day to Landing today...We will eat chinese Sichuan hop pot this friday for the celebration.
Best wishes to all, thanks.
we landed today too, same timeline as you almost exactly, congratulations, best of luck to the rest that are still waiting

Fatih123

Star Member
Jun 3, 2017
So, the Corporation (as it's known) is for Refugee sponsorship, from my understanding (could be wrong). Because they're your family, I doubt you can sponsor via G5.

As I understand it, the group is formed and approved. Then CIC assigns the group a family who has applied for refugee status from key hotspots (eg: Syria, Iraq used to be; but the program has ended). Once matched, CIC works out logistics with the corporation, and the family is transported.

It has been a part of Canada's immigration law for a long time. Since the Irish Potato Famine, anyway. That's how many Irish families ended up here -- mine included.

All that said, if you apply with a corporation, I am not sure that you can just select a family. I would suspect conflicts of interest to be raised.

You applied in December....probably another couple weeks to go yet. Also, you are ineligible to apply to sponsor anyone until you're a PR yourself. You could apply to sponsor your parents, assuming you work and earn enough for 3 years. Siblings under 22 can be considered as part of that package, as dependants (I believe).

Here is a quick info site: https://www.smartwaystocanada.com/canada-groups-of-five-sponsorship/

I don't know or trust them. But they seem to know more than I do in this regard. You need 3 / 5 to be Canadians, and the refugees must have refugee status and be recognized by UNHCR as refugees.
Thank you profiler

Reactions: profiler

masouleht

Star Member
Apr 8, 2017
congratulations!
Hi Sylvain, as you mentioned, security checks with immigrants from countries such as Iran take very long to complete. I was wondering if the same regulations apply to people claiming refugee status from such countries? How come people who claim refugee status are given their P.R so quickly?

Thanks

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Hi Sylvain, as you mentioned, security checks with immigrants from countries such as Iran take very long to complete. I was wondering if the same regulations apply to people claiming refugee status from such countries? How come people who claim refugee status are given their P.R so quickly?

Thanks
@sylvain1 will throw his voice again here...
Refugees and Asylum seekers from these regions have the same time line for security checks. They actually take longer to get a PR than people who are sponsored. At least a year or more.

The reason? The IRB only rules that they can APPLY for a PR as a refugee. THEN they have to apply, just like everyone else does.

I have a friend, who's family is from Iraq. He was directly threatened with murder of the entire family by Saddam Hussein (he's from Kurdistan). It took them almost 3 years to complete the refugee process, from the refugee camp in Jordan to landing in Canada. Now, obviously the story goes back a few years. But even in that situation, and the UN deemed his family refugees, it still took time to complete the proper screenings.

All the same screenings and checks are required.

The reason it can take longer, is when CIC has to deal with less co-operative governments for information. Eg: Australia, New Zealand, UK, USA, most of Europe can pass the BG check reasonably quickly. We have had people on this thread from Australia who landed in less than 6 months. The normal processing time for USA is about 6 months (outlanders).

Last edited:
Reactions: sylvain1

r.singh85

Dec 7, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
Doc's Request.
10-04-2017
Hello everyone my wife yesterday received SA letter in her email, I just checked online it says Decision made on both sides, I applied last year in the 1st week of Oct. I didn't receive any email or letter regarding approval yet, Can anyone please tell me how long does it roughly take to get a approved application status after this time, please and thank you.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Hello everyone my wife yesterday received SA letter in her email, I just checked online it says Decision made on both sides, I applied last year in the 1st week of Oct. I didn't receive any email or letter regarding approval yet, Can anyone please tell me how long does it roughly take to get a approved application status after this time, please and thank you.
Congrats!

If you have DM on both sides, and you have not received any mails from CIC, then I would say that's a positive result. It can take time (if it comes at all) to get the DM letter. Depending on where you are, your local CIC office can take 1-8 weeks to schedule a landing interview.

VIRGIEWOOLF

Star Member
Jul 8, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
28/12/2016
AOR Received.
19/1/2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Successful
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
Valid Passport pages Requested 07/11/2017
LANDED..........
15-12-2017
I applied in August 2016 and I just got my invitation to interview for landing! It’s in two weeks, I’m so happy and excited!!! Was a long wait that’s for sure!
Congratulations!

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
I applied in August 2016 and I just got my invitation to interview for landing! It’s in two weeks, I’m so happy and excited!!! Was a long wait that’s for sure!
Congrats! When did you apply?

r.singh85

Dec 7, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
Doc's Request.
10-04-2017
Congrats!

If you have DM on both sides, and you have not received any mails from CIC, then I would say that's a positive result. It can take time (if it comes at all) to get the DM letter. Depending on where you are, your local CIC office can take 1-8 weeks to schedule a landing interview.
Hello, Thank you for update , I just received email from CIC that we have completed your processing and you will be contacted shortly by Etobicoke Immigration Center. Feeling happy after long wait its all completed however what I see in application is that they have my old passport no. which was expired 3 years ago and after that with my new passport I have travelled lots of time, it says if you are in possession of new passport you should contact this office immediately ,can anyone please help me where and whom I should contact now ?? thanks and please

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Hello, Thank you for update , I just received email from CIC that we have completed your processing and you will be contacted shortly by Etobicoke Immigration Center. Feeling happy after long wait its all completed however what I see in application is that they have my old passport no. which was expired 3 years ago and after that with my new passport I have travelled lots of time, it says if you are in possession of new passport you should contact this office immediately ,can anyone please help me where and whom I should contact now ?? thanks and please
scan the bio page and send it via IRCC web form. Then call the call centre to tell them you have sent a new passport in. This is critical, because they generate your COPR from PPN.

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
we landed today too, same timeline as you almost exactly, congratulations, best of luck to the rest that are still waiting
Hey congratulations! I'm truly happy for you. I was wondering if you had news or not, I haven't seen any recent post from you. Now you can feel the relief that it's over! But as I was telling you, it was only a matter of time. Congratulations again!

Reactions: rizaki