JohnnyToronto

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
Wow! Terrific news. So fast. Nice to see something in this process go quickly :)

I'll be in Bogota on Monday for a week to spend with my bride. :)

Reactions: Ana Cruz

JohnnyToronto

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
Any update?
Hola Ana!

Nothing new for me. Got the medical request, she passed it and details were updated. They specifically note that we won't hear from them for a while in the process of the background check and to be patient
I suspect a significant delay due to the outbreak and their closing offices for almost 3 weeks for now.

I arrived in Bogota and they took my temperature before being allowed to enter Customs. My 2nd last day in Colombia the Canadian Canadian Gov't put out the notice for all Canadians abroad to return home.

Almost 2 days after I left they started with restrictions around Colombia.

Now we wait.

JohnnyToronto

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
I'm wondering if the Bogota visa office is still operational? I know it's wishful thinking given that all of Colombia went into a 19 day quarantine and apparently it will be extended another 40 days.
Another member got correspondence from the VO after the initial quarantine was active. In reading other posts from other countries, they're getting correspondence during this crisis.
I know it's wishful thinking. Any thoughts?
I dread the thought of having to wait another 2-3 months or more for this to blow over before they're back to work.

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012
hey guys,
just a question for you
Since you both filed outland spouse sponsorship have you ever thought for her to apply as a touristic visa or student visa while the spouse application is in the process?

Ana Cruz

Feb 17, 2020
I'm wondering if the Bogota visa office is still operational? I know it's wishful thinking given that all of Colombia went into a 19 day quarantine and apparently it will be extended another 40 days.
Another member got correspondence from the VO after the initial quarantine was active. In reading other posts from other countries, they're getting correspondence during this crisis.
I dread the thought of having to wait another 2-3 months or more for this to blow over before they're back to work.
Nothing new for me :/
Someone from the August forum got approval on March 20, just before the quarantine started.

Last edited:

albertan2019

Star Member
May 29, 2019
Hello Johnny, I follow the Canadian consul/embassy on twitter, and they're only working on essential services to Canadians citizens in Colombia, we're for sure facing a backlog and probably several months added to the regular processing time.

Reactions: JohnnyToronto

JohnnyToronto

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
hey guys,
just a question for you
Since you both filed outland spouse sponsorship have you ever thought for her to apply as a touristic visa or student visa while the spouse application is in the process?
Short answer... yes.
Long answer.......we already applied for a tourist visa first and she was denied.

The criteria for a tourist visa is almost as complex if not more restrictive than a PR.
Our intent was to have her visit and we apply as inland right away. No dice. It was almost immediately refused with the actual reason as "it is my belief that you have no intention of returning to your home country so I am refusing your application"

So, we married and applied for spousal PR Outland and here we wait.

Applying again is a lot of additional paperwork with the likelyhood of getting refused again and looking desperate to get her into the country.
We even waited 6 months after marrying to show we weren't just marrying to get her PR.

JohnnyToronto

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
Hello Johnny, I follow the Canadian consul/embassy on twitter, and they're only working on essential services to Canadians citizens in Colombia, we're for sure facing a backlog and probably several months added to the regular processing time.
Thanks Albertan. That was my worry.
I need to start following those resources more to stay on top of things.
I have faint hope that when they open up again they rush everything through.....but then I wake up and realize that's not the way Gov't works.

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012
Short answer... yes.
Long answer.......we already applied for a tourist visa first and she was denied.

The criteria for a tourist visa is almost as complex if not more restrictive than a PR.
Our intent was to have her visit and we apply as inland right away. No dice. It was almost immediately refused with the actual reason as "it is my belief that you have no intention of returning to your home country so I am refusing your application"

So, we married and applied for spousal PR Outland and here we wait.

Applying again is a lot of additional paperwork with the likelyhood of getting refused again and looking desperate to get her into the country.
We even waited 6 months after marrying to show we weren't just marrying to get her PR.
Wow .. what a story

JohnnyToronto

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
Wow .. what a story
It was this forum that basically said 'get married' as the only solution to making a legit claim for a permanent resident visa. Some countries, many actually are basically on the list to almost routinely turn down tourist visas without truly compelling reasons or background. I got great advice here on what to say and how to fill out the application. I thought it was solid. Nope, denied in about a week and a half.

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012
It was this forum that basically said 'get married' as the only solution to making a legit claim for a permanent resident visa. Some countries, many actually are basically on the list to almost routinely turn down tourist visas without truly compelling reasons or background. I got great advice here on what to say and how to fill out the application. I thought it was solid. Nope, denied in about a week and a half.
Man have you tried a study permit? As she applies for college and comes to Canada to study..?

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012
I know a guy, who applied for a single entry touristic visa and came to Canada, found a job then returned back and came back as Permanent resident..

JohnnyToronto

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
Man have you tried a study permit? As she applies for college and comes to Canada to study..?
Have you looked at the criteria for a student Visa? First you have to have $10,000 in the bank for every year of study. That plus you need to be accepted at a certified institution and pay for enrollment.
Also, they ask for the level of English on an international scale and you must be in the top tier to be allowed to study. My wife speaks English well, even conversational but she couldn't pass for the level they require for study.
Many obstacles plus just to get approved as a student, then you have to go through the PR process once she's in the country anyway but that's not possible.
We're 6 months into this process now after all of our troubles so now we wait. Another added benefit to the PR process is that there's an appeal process if rejected. The Tourist or Student visa is an outright refusal. Case closed.

albertan2019

Star Member
May 29, 2019
Have you looked at the criteria for a student Visa? First you have to have $10,000 in the bank for every year of study. That plus you need to be accepted at a certified institution and pay for enrollment.
Also, they ask for the level of English on an international scale and you must be in the top tier to be allowed to study. My wife speaks English well, even conversational but she couldn't pass for the level they require for study.
Many obstacles plus just to get approved as a student, then you have to go through the PR process once she's in the country anyway but that's not possible.
We're 6 months into this process now after all of our troubles so now we wait. Another added benefit to the PR process is that there's an appeal process if rejected. The Tourist or Student visa is an outright refusal. Case closed.
I agree, my wife tourist visa was denied, and the biometrics and fees thrown in the garbage, best bet if to apply for PR if you're willing to wait the 12 months process.