+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship Bogota Colombia 2019

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012
Have you looked at the criteria for a student Visa? First you have to have $10,000 in the bank for every year of study. That plus you need to be accepted at a certified institution and pay for enrollment.
Also, they ask for the level of English on an international scale and you must be in the top tier to be allowed to study. My wife speaks English well, even conversational but she couldn't pass for the level they require for study.
Many obstacles plus just to get approved as a student, then you have to go through the PR process once she's in the country anyway but that's not possible.
We're 6 months into this process now after all of our troubles so now we wait. Another added benefit to the PR process is that there's an appeal process if rejected. The Tourist or Student visa is an outright refusal. Case closed.
wow.. what a pain

Ana Cruz

Feb 17, 2020
I read in a sponsorship group on facebook a publication last Monday where someone commented that they asked for the medical exams the previous Thursday this would be on March 26, so it can be said that if they are still working at the embassy!

Gtiffen

Star Member
Dec 28, 2019
I read in a sponsorship group on facebook a publication last Monday where someone commented that they asked for the medical exams the previous Thursday this would be on March 26, so it can be said that if they are still working at the embassy!
Hmmm, that might have been me! ...and as I just posted in the November Outland thread, we got the Medical request email on March 26th...but my wife has been trying daily to get a medical exam appointment and no doctor is even picking up the phone! (She’s in Bogotá) So everything is completely on hold. frustrating to say the least

Ana Cruz

Feb 17, 2020
Hmmm, that might have been me! ...and as I just posted in the November Outland thread, we got the Medical request email on March 26th...but my wife has been trying daily to get a medical exam appointment and no doctor is even picking up the phone! (She’s in Bogotá) So everything is completely on hold. frustrating to say the least
Wowwww but if you are a Novembre applicant it means that your app runs really fast. I supouse your destination province is other from Quebec. I am an applicant from July 2019 and I am waiting for PPR since February 12 who is the date that i got medical passed; got the pre-arrival letter on January 28.

Gtiffen

Star Member
Dec 28, 2019
Wowwww but if you are a Novembre applicant it means that your app runs really fast. I supouse your destination province is other from Quebec. I am an applicant from July 2019 and I am waiting for PPR since February 12 who is the date that i got medical passed; got the pre-arrival letter on January 28.
Yes I’m in Alberta. And wow, yes I’ve read a lot about the extra hoops Quebec applicants have to go through...good luck! Right now there’s no planes flying between Canada and Colombia anyway, (or not for non essential travel anyway) so I think we are all on hold regardless

JohnnyToronto

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
My wife in Colombia updated me today that the country will end their mandatory quarantine in approx a week and will move to a less restrictive model, much like we're working with in Canada. Bus service with reduced capacity, limited number of cabs on the street, businesses open but with restrictions for social distancing etc. Masks outside of personal homes will be mandatory.

Good news is that I hope this means some gov't workers will be able to go back to work and embassies will open. I'm following the Canadian embassy in Bogota and haven't seen any update yet. When I know anything i'll update here.

Reactions: Gtiffen

Gtiffen

Star Member
Dec 28, 2019
Wow!! I really hope som
My wife in Colombia updated me today that the country will end their mandatory quarantine in approx a week and will move to a less restrictive model, much like we're working with in Canada. Bus service with reduced capacity, limited number of cabs on the street, businesses open but with restrictions for social distancing etc. Masks outside of personal homes will be mandatory.

Good news is that I hope this means some gov't workers will be able to go back to work and embassies will open. I'm following the Canadian embassy in Bogota and haven't seen any update yet. When I know anything i'll update here.
wow, I really hope this is the case! this would hopefully mean my wife could finally get her medical exam done, and our applications could all move forward! (As long as the government feels it is safe to start to reopen the country...id hate to see Colombia turn into other country’s around it, like Venezuel, Brazil and especially Ecuador)

Reactions: JohnnyToronto

JohnnyToronto

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
Wow!! I really hope som

wow, I really hope this is the case! this would hopefully mean my wife could finally get her medical exam done, and our applications could all move forward! (As long as the government feels it is safe to start to reopen the country...id hate to see Colombia turn into other country’s around it, like Venezuel, Brazil and especially Ecuador)
I think they made the right move to lock down the whole country at once. They certainly have the resources are are not strangers to restricting the movements of their citizens! With this move to relaxing it a bit might provide some breathing room for the external governments to open embassies for regular application processing again.

JohnnyToronto

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
I think they made the right move to lock down the whole country at once. They certainly have the resources are are not strangers to restricting the movements of their citizens! With this move to relaxing it a bit might provide some breathing room for the external governments to open embassies for regular application processing again.
I see today that the Colombian gov't has extended their quarantine to May 25. I'm trying to find resources online to determine if the Canadian gov't is still processing perm res apps or not. No such luck.
Anybody else find out if anything has changed? This wait is brutal!!!

Gtiffen

Star Member
Dec 28, 2019
I see today that the Colombian gov't has extended their quarantine to May 25. I'm trying to find resources online to determine if the Canadian gov't is still processing perm res apps or not. No such luck.
Anybody else find out if anything has changed? This wait is brutal!!!
Absolutely nothing on our end either Johnny.....my wife still can’t complete her Medical exam because although she is at least in contact with a doctor now, the labs that do parts of the medical are still closed for these requests. So despite being given a 60 day timetable we will obviously need to ask for an extension, especially given the quarantine extension. And even then, who knows how long until the applications get completed (hopefully in our favor) , and then there are additional issues like when does international travel between Colombia and Canada open up again, what will those flights look like in terms of cost, frequency, etc etc. Yes this wait is getting extremely depressing, and making a bad situation worse. Unfortunately there’s literally nothing we can do but wait, but it would be nice to get some sign from the goverment

JohnnyToronto

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
Great news everyone!
I emailed the Embassy in Bogota last week on a whim to ask if the PR applications are still being processed through the lock down and they replied this morning. See below.

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for contacting the Immigration section of the Embassy of Canada in Colombia.

:DAll applications remain in process. :)Should you require specific case information, please ensure that the allowed representative/individual contact us directly.

Please note that due to measures in response to COVID-19, we have reduced capacity to respond to non-urgent enquiries.

Sincerely, Salutations distinguées, Sinceramente,

Migration Section | Section de Migration | Sección de Migración 6
Canadian Embassy | Ambassade du Canada | Embajada de Canadá
Carrera 7 # 114 - 33 Piso 13 Código postal: 110111 Bogotá, Colombia
Website | site web | sitio web: www.colombia.gc.ca www.cic.gc.ca

Gouvernement du Canada | Government of Canada

Gtiffen

Star Member
Dec 28, 2019
Great news everyone!
I emailed the Embassy in Bogota last week on a whim to ask if the PR applications are still being processed through the lock down and they replied this morning. See below.

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for contacting the Immigration section of the Embassy of Canada in Colombia.

:DAll applications remain in process. :)Should you require specific case information, please ensure that the allowed representative/individual contact us directly.

Please note that due to measures in response to COVID-19, we have reduced capacity to respond to non-urgent enquiries.

Sincerely, Salutations distinguées, Sinceramente,

Migration Section | Section de Migration | Sección de Migración 6
Canadian Embassy | Ambassade du Canada | Embajada de Canadá
Carrera 7 # 114 - 33 Piso 13 Código postal: 110111 Bogotá, Colombia
Website | site web | sitio web: www.colombia.gc.ca www.cic.gc.ca

Gouvernement du Canada | Government of Canada
Just to add on to this, I just got off the phone with my wife in Bogotá, and she finally got her Medical exam booked for this Thursday! we were seriously starting to despair about getting this done (she’d already done the biometrics and gotten her police certificate so this was one of the last pieces)...thanks god things are starting to move a bit again in this process!

albertan2019

Star Member
May 29, 2019
Just to add on to this, I just got off the phone with my wife in Bogotá, and she finally got her Medical exam booked for this Thursday! we were seriously starting to despair about getting this done (she’d already done the biometrics and gotten her police certificate so this was one of the last pieces)...thanks god things are starting to move a bit again in this process!
o_O Well, finally I get to read some good news, I hope we all have our applications processed soon, it's really hard to be married but away from our love ones
Good luck to everyone

JohnnyToronto

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
Great news! Every little thing is one bit closer to the end. Good luck! The medical results take like 3-5 days to get notice plus the GCkey to be updated.

JohnnyToronto

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
o_O Well, finally I get to read some good news, I hope we all have our applications processed soon, it's really hard to be married but away from our love ones
Good luck to everyone
Very true!! Between the lockdown they face over there and facing a 2-3 month delay in getting approved, it's been extra hard to be way from our loved ones. My wife is signing a 6 month lease on a small place hoping she won't need it that long. Fingers crossed.