+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal open work permit

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Thanks for making this easy to understand.and thanks for this site..like i said the way things are worded on CIC site is not eaay to understand..duuno maybe caz english is not my 1st language
No, it's not because of English not being your first language, it's because everything is mentioned in a very legal and formal way

Nona_01

Jan 16, 2019
It's not 100% guaranteed that your spouse will get open work permit.

If your spouse does not have an open work permit or does not have a work permit.

a spouse of a skilled worker in an occupation under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0, A or B approved to work in Canada six months or longer

OR

a spouse of a foreign student at a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university or collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec

OR

a family member of a foreign representative

OR

a family member of a foreign military member who is working in Canada

If your spouse has a open work permit him/herself only the is the below applicable

• a letter from your spouse’s current employer that confirms they work there in a NOC 0, A or B occupation, or a copy of your spouse’s employment offer or contract, and
  • a copy of your spouse’s recent pay slips.

It is very difficult to get this open work permit for spouses as some people have tried to use it as a loophole by getting a sham marriage by paying the entire tuition for the person who has a study permit if they get married with their son/daughter. Once in Canada they remain married till the person on the open work permit can get PR and once that person gets PR then the get a divorce. One person gets PR and the other person gets tuition paid.

This is why CIC does not always give Spousal open work permit to International students. It's not that they believe you have a fake marriage but it has been heavily abused and they only give to the most genuine and convincing case.
Will a higher level of education, like a PhD international student, increase the chances of getting an open work permit? (I'm of course referring to a complete real and genuine marriage.)

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Will a higher level of education, like a PhD international student, increase the chances of getting an open work permit? (I'm of course referring to a complete real and genuine marriage.)
I'm not sure but it wouldn't hurt your chances.

Ohboii

Jan 16, 2019
If someone husband/wife is coming to do his PHD.that person would be student right?..wouldnt he/she get own study permit that allows him/her to work 20hrs/week?.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
If someone husband/wife is coming to do his PHD.that person would be student right?..wouldnt he/she get own study permit that allows him/her to work 20hrs/week?.
A study permit allows you to work 20 hrs per week and full time during scheduled breaks. The time restriction is there since the main aim for you is to study.

An open work permit is given to a spouse of an international student which allows the spouse to work in any company in Canada. You cannot study with this permit.

If the spouse of an international student is also an international student him/herself then there is no other permit required. Both partners can work for 20 hours a week during classes and full time during scheduled breaks.

Ohboii

Jan 16, 2019
An open work permit is given to a spouse of an international student which allows the spouse to work in any company in Canada. You cannot study with this permit.
Thx.i understand now..i also see why the scammers were abusing it

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Thx.i understand now..i also see why the scammers were abusing it
Yes, add the fact that 1 year of work experience is enough to get you into many PR pathways and you can see why it was used as such. Technically it was a fraud and not a scam since both sides were willing but in the end, genuine people are affected.

Srfnhmd

May 10, 2020
Hello All ,

I read through the forum , just wanna be clear in my case so if anyone can help on advising my case will be much appreciated .
I got married March 2020, planning for my wife pg coming winter session . Currently I am working for an IT firm with 9 years of experience and still having my job . in my case can you please let me know the chances of rejection if I apply open work permit once my wife gets her student permit .

hs0212

Feb 1, 2019
Hi all,
I'm helping my sister-in-law (in Iran) apply for study permit to Calgary (SAIT/BVC) or Vancouver (Capilano U). She wants to bring her spouse with her once she is hopefully granted admission and a visa for study permit but she has some concerns:

How can she bring her husband with her? Does she just need to include this request in her study permit application or does he also need to fill out an application at the same time? If so, which application exactly and how do they submit both applications together?

AND/OR

Will her spouse be granted an OWP and allowed to accompany her/what is the process for that?

Would appreciate any insights or experiences from others! Thanks in advance.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi all,
I'm helping my sister-in-law (in Iran) apply for study permit to Calgary (SAIT/BVC) or Vancouver (Capilano U). She wants to bring her spouse with her once she is hopefully granted admission and a visa for study permit but she has some concerns:

How can she bring her husband with her? Does she just need to include this request in her study permit application or does he also need to fill out an application at the same time? If so, which application exactly and how do they submit both applications together?

AND/OR

Will her spouse be granted an OWP and allowed to accompany her/what is the process for that?

Would appreciate any insights or experiences from others! Thanks in advance.
A separate application for a Spouse Open Work Permit will have to be made, if approved he can accompany her. I believe in the questionnaire online, they do ask if anyone else is accompanying and it is to my understanding that additional documents will have to be uploaded and the applications can be made together, however I have not personally done it.

Reactions: hs0212

hs0212

Feb 1, 2019
A separate application for a Spouse Open Work Permit will have to be made, if approved he can accompany her. I believe in the questionnaire online, they do ask if anyone else is accompanying and it is to my understanding that additional documents will have to be uploaded and the applications can be made together, however I have not personally done it.
I guess that does make sense but I was reading on another thread that if they both apply for a permit at the same time (one study one work) then the chances of the study permit being granted will be lower because then the wife in this case will no longer have strong personal ties to her country and the visa officer might think that they both just want to get to Canada, etc, because apparently this system was abused by couples previously and so that's why it's created suspicion for VO's. Not sure how to advise my sister-in-law on this work permit process now, it's a bit unclear for me.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I guess that does make sense but I was reading on another thread that if they both apply for a permit at the same time (one study one work) then the chances of the study permit being granted will be lower because then the wife in this case will no longer have strong personal ties to her country and the visa officer might think that they both just want to get to Canada, etc, because apparently this system was abused by couples previously and so that's why it's created suspicion for VO's. Not sure how to advise my sister-in-law on this work permit process now, it's a bit unclear for me.

It won't cause suspicion that they are abusing the system, it is only due to reduced home ties. One of my friends has got a SWOP for her husband and they applied together, it's not impossible. Do they want to move together right away or would they be okay with being apart for sometime ? She could apply for the study permit first and then he could apply for the SOWP later on. Basically, it depends on what they want to do, it's a risk but up to them.