+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal open work permit

BALKAR89

Jan 10, 2019
Any kind of help will be appreciated
Hi I’m an international student studying full time in B.C.
My spouse is In India. What would be the best way of of getting him an open work permit.
I did a lot of research but I’m still confused
So far, I was trying to do online application which is open work permit from outside Canada (imm1295)
First question- is it the right form?
If yes then when i reach to the page where I have to upload documents it Doesn’t ask me to upload any marriage certificate , notice of enrolment, study permit.. I mean nothin at all
What do I do?

Nona_01

Jan 16, 2019
Hi! Unfortunately I don't have the answer to your questions, but I was wondering if you happened to know if you need to have been married for a certain amount of time in order to apply for on open work permit as the spouse of an international student. Is there like a time minimum of marriage you need to meet before you're able to apply for an open work permit? Or do you need to have been living together for a certain length of time? Or do you just need to be married and that's it? Does the time you've been married matter at all? Thank you :)

Ohboii

Jan 16, 2019
Hi! Unfortunately I don't have the answer to your questions, but I was wondering if you happened to know if you need to have been married for a certain amount of time in order to apply for on open work permit as the spouse of an international student. Is there like a time minimum of marriage you need to meet before you're able to apply for an open work permit? Or do you need to have been living together for a certain length of time? Or do you just need to be married and that's it? Does the time you've been married matter at all? Thank you :)
Just opinion
I thought that spouse had to be CC/PW if their spouse is student.
If both are student then one has to has (nocB) job
Doesnt this program expire jan 31/2019?
The sponsor must not be in any violation of immigration act

Ohboii

Jan 16, 2019
Program Where spouse can get OWP while a decision is being made on their application this expires jan31/19

Nona_01

Jan 16, 2019
Neither of us is a Canadian Citizen nor permanent resident. I'm not applying for an Inland sponsorship program, I want to apply for an open work permit through a student visa.

Nona_01

Jan 16, 2019

Ohboii

Jan 16, 2019
Sorry I was giving an opinion.now.im confused aswell..i personally find that most things on CIC website is confusing and need lawyer/expert to say exactly what it means

Nona_01

Jan 16, 2019
Sorry I was giving an opinion.now.im confused aswell..i personally find that most things on CIC website is confusing and need lawyer/expert to say exactly what it means
Do you happen to know of any other website where I could get information about this? Any other site that has immigration information?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Any kind of help will be appreciated
Hi I’m an international student studying full time in B.C.
My spouse is In India. What would be the best way of of getting him an open work permit.
I did a lot of research but I’m still confused
So far, I was trying to do online application which is open work permit from outside Canada (imm1295)
First question- is it the right form?
If yes then when i reach to the page where I have to upload documents it Doesn’t ask me to upload any marriage certificate , notice of enrolment, study permit.. I mean nothin at all
What do I do?
You need this

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1i&q2_options=2d

You will need to apply for an open work permit for your spouse based on your study permit.

Ohboii

Jan 16, 2019
What u mean is that its not easy *cut and dry* like just apply for your spouse and they get a owp ..there are conditions
Conditions like spouse must have job in Noc category..be able to support spouse.has to exit canada when spouse leaves?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
What u mean is that its not easy *cut and dry* like just apply for your spouse and they get a owp ..there are conditions
Conditions like spouse must have job in Noc category..be able to support spouse.has to exit canada when spouse leaves?
It's not 100% guaranteed that your spouse will get open work permit.

If your spouse does not have an open work permit or does not have a work permit.

a spouse of a skilled worker in an occupation under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0, A or B approved to work in Canada six months or longer

OR

a spouse of a foreign student at a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university or collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec

OR

a family member of a foreign representative

OR

a family member of a foreign military member who is working in Canada

If your spouse has a open work permit him/herself only the is the below applicable

• a letter from your spouse’s current employer that confirms they work there in a NOC 0, A or B occupation, or a copy of your spouse’s employment offer or contract, and
  • a copy of your spouse’s recent pay slips.

It is very difficult to get this open work permit for spouses as some people have tried to use it as a loophole by getting a sham marriage by paying the entire tuition for the person who has a study permit if they get married with their son/daughter. Once in Canada they remain married till the person on the open work permit can get PR and once that person gets PR then the get a divorce. One person gets PR and the other person gets tuition paid.

This is why CIC does not always give Spousal open work permit to International students. It's not that they believe you have a fake marriage but it has been heavily abused and they only give to the most genuine and convincing case.

Ohboii

Jan 16, 2019
Thanks for making this easy to understand.and thanks for this site..like i said the way things are worded on CIC site is not eaay to understand..duuno maybe caz english is not my 1st language