+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spousal open work permit and minor children

cherryblossoms

Feb 26, 2014
Hello there, we are trying to fill out an spousal open work permit application for my daughter-in law, Study permit and TRV for her minor children ( ages 17, 15, 4 and 2 ) based on my son's work permit ( skilled ) but we have trouble in filling up some of the questions like : acceptance letter, tuition fees, funds, length of stay etc.
We could not skip nor write not applicable .
Please help. thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It is still applicable and is stated in the link you provided.

Minor children who are already in Canada may study without a study permit if they:
  • are in kindergarten, no matter what their parents’ status is in Canada
  • want to go to pre-school, primary or secondary school and have a parent who is allowed to work or study in Canada

AAM1218

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
It is still applicable and is stated in the link you provided.

Minor children who are already in Canada may study without a study permit if they:
  • are in kindergarten, no matter what their parents’ status is in Canada
  • want to go to pre-school, primary or secondary school and have a parent who is allowed to work or study in Canada
It says here, minor children who are IN CANADA already.
So if they are NOT YET in Canada and they plan to go to Canada with minor children already of age to go to primary or secondary school, they have to get a study permit.
Minor children before entering Canada
Minor children who want to study for six months or more must apply for a study permit before they enter Canada. This includes minor children who come with parents who had a study or work permit approved overseas.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It says here, minor children who are IN CANADA already.
So if they are NOT YET in Canada and they plan to go to Canada with minor children already of age to go to primary or secondary school, they have to get a study permit.
Minor children before entering Canada
Minor children who want to study for six months or more must apply for a study permit before they enter Canada. This includes minor children who come with parents who had a study or work permit approved overseas.
I am aware. That is not new. Children can still come to Canada as visitors. Once already here, they can then start studying without a study permit.

AAM1218

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
I am aware. That is not new. Children can still come to Canada as visitors. Once already here, they can then start studying without a study permit.
Hi, this is based on my personal experience. I have a positive LMIA and so our consultant has applied me for a work permit, my husband for open work permit and my 2 kids (7 y/o and 3 y/o) for a visitor visa. Our applications were approved except for my eldest son. Reason for refusal is:
-Minor is at the age to be full time in school. A study permit application must be submitted (not a visitor visa).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, this is based on my personal experience. I have a positive LMIA and so our consultant has applied me for a work permit, my husband for open work permit and my 2 kids (7 y/o and 3 y/o) for a visitor visa. Our applications were approved except for my eldest son. Reason for refusal is:
-Minor is at the age to be full time in school. A study permit application must be submitted (not a visitor visa).
Yes, that can happen, particularly when the whole family is applying together and are not visa-exempt. However, many come to Canada as visitors and can then study without a permit.

Reactions: AAM1218

AAM1218

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
Yes, that can happen, particularly when the whole family is applying together and are not visa-exempt. However, many come to Canada as visitors and can then study without a permit.
Well I guess, it all depends on the visa officer. Just sharing based on our case.
Our consultant has re-submitted an application for my eldest son, now for a study permit. We are in the hopes that it gets approved this time.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Well I guess, it all depends on the visa officer. Just sharing based on our case.
Our consultant has re-submitted an application for my eldest son, now for a study permit. We are in the hopes that it gets approved this time.
A lot is up to the individual officer. There should be no issues with your son being approved for his study permit.

Jj s

Nov 22, 2017
Hello all,I am on work permit in Canada and I applied for my spouse open work permit and my dependent son visitor Visa on 20th of March 2019. After 2 weeks my spouse got a passport request but my son application is separated from my spouse and they changed my son application from visitor to study permit on 16th April 2019 and ask me to pay additional $50 fee, which I submitted the same day and got an acknowledgement letter. Since than 2.5 months are gone no updated. Please advice

Navtej singj

Jul 4, 2018
Hello all,I am on work permit in Canada and I applied for my spouse open work permit and my dependent son visitor Visa on 20th of March 2019. After 2 weeks my spouse got a passport request but my son application is separated from my spouse and they changed my son application from visitor to study permit on 16th April 2019 and ask me to pay additional $50 fee, which I submitted the same day and got an acknowledgement letter. Since than 2.5 months are gone no updated. Please advice
Hi, did u got visa? my case is same like yours. I'm here in canda on wp. I applied online study permit of my two children on 19th june and i got a mail that your application is received there on 25th June, but no update after that. Could u plz share your timline

Debabrata

Mar 18, 2018

Dear All
We are from Bangladesh. My wife wants to go to Canada for higher study. Her IELTS score is 6.5 and each band not less than 6.
She wants to get admitted for M.A in English or relevant subject.
We have a 1.5 years of baby. Now our plan is
1. My wife will apply for student visa along with my child.
2. Once her study started, i will apply for spouse OWP visa.
3. if our visa has been approved, then me along with my child wants to fly.

Please suggest if my plan needs any correction. After completing one semester, shall my wife return back to Bangladesh and return back along with us?

Thanks in advance.

ksphr

Jan 29, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-12-2014
Hi @AAM1218

Thanks for this information. I am in same boat. Applying for whole family together. However, my wife has study permit and I am applying for open work permit and 2 daughters (8 years and 10 years) as visitors. We are very skeptical. It would be great to know what happened in your case.

Thanks and regards,

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi @AAM1218

Thanks for this information. I am in same boat. Applying for whole family together. However, my wife has study permit and I am applying for open work permit and 2 daughters (8 years and 10 years) as visitors. We are very skeptical. It would be great to know what happened in your case.

Thanks and regards,
TRVs for your children are likely to be refused, with the message that you need to apply for study permits for them. This has been happening quite a bit.