Sponsorship Withdrawal before Landing

Galip

May 25, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadianwoman said:
Here's the case:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/03/18/toronto-pakistan-arranged-marriage-pearson.html

The Pakistani woman was sponsored by her husband, she was issued a PR visa, her husband sent a letter withdrawing his sponsorship, she came to Canada anyway (still with what looked like a valid PR visa in her passport) and was not allowed to land.

Irrelevant to her if her PR visa was not valid because her husband withdrew sponsorship after the visa was issued, or the PR visa was not valid because CIC decided to withdraw it because they found out a marriage breakdown had occurred based on the letter of withdrawal from the husband.
Thank you canadianwoman. This information shows everything about the subject and once again thank you PMM for the detailed and correct information.

This was a very interesting question, I learned a new thing about Spousal Sponsorship regulations. Thank you all..

nctoro

Mar 21, 2013
Thanks to you guys here (especially PMM) for all the information you shared
I needed to Withdraw my sponsorship as my wife real intention was to leave me few months after landing
there is a condition now that sponsored spouse whould live 2 years a least with the sponsor but this is only for applications received after 25 october 2012
I sent a email to the visa office and to the Processing center in Mississauga. they were very slow to answer me back. the visa office already issued a COPR
I also tip the CBSA about a possible misrepresentation and they did denied her the landing.

Thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
nctoro said:
I sent a email to the visa office and to the Processing center in Mississauga. they were very slow to answer me back. the visa office already issued a COPR
I also tip the CBSA about a possible misrepresentation and they did denied her the landing.
Hi, can you please explain a bit more what happened here... i.e. did CIC send her a document revoking the COPR and visa and telling her not to come, or did she actually fly to Canada and then have the immigration officer revoke her COPR after she already got here, and made her fly right back home? Its an interesting situation so am curious exactly how CIC resolved it.

nctoro

Mar 21, 2013
Rob_TO said:
Hi, can you please explain a bit more what happened here... i.e. did CIC send her a document revoking the COPR and visa and telling her not to come, or did she actually fly to Canada and then have the immigration officer revoke her COPR after she already got here, and made her fly right back home? Its an interesting situation so am curious exactly how CIC resolved it.
CIC did not accepted my withdrawal stating that i am still bound because a COPR was already issued to her. they said i should wait for the visa to expires or for the sponsored person to return the visa to the visa office. She flight to canada to land quickly. I did call CBSA the day before to report her misrepresentation. the cbsa did not land her and she entered canada as a visitor. The visa office already replied her that they received my letter of withdrawal and they told her that her visa is not valid anymore. so her COPR was not revoked but CBSA did not let her used it.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
nctoro said:
CIC did not accepted my withdrawal stating that i am still bound because a COPR was already issued to her. they said i should wait for the visa to expires or for the sponsored person to return the visa to the visa office. She flight to canada to land quickly. I did call CBSA the day before to report her misrepresentation. the cbsa did not land her and she entered canada as a visitor. The visa office already replied her that they received my letter of withdrawal and they told her that her visa is not valid anymore. so her COPR was not revoked but CBSA did not let her used it.
Very interesting. There is an expiry date on the COPR, so i guess when that date comes and she hasn't "landed" as a PR, then her COPR will be cancelled and you will be off the hook as a sponsor.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Thanks. It is always nice to get confirmation of what happens from someone who experienced it first-hand.

AnaMaria

May 2, 2012
New Westminster, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
09-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
30-11-2012!
Very interesting. But I am disappointed that the CBSA officer let her enter Canada when she was trying to land using that misrepresenting information.

munchkin80

Aug 12, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 10th 2012
Doc's Request.
December 4th 2012, All sent January 3rd 2013
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
December 4th 2012
File Transfer...
September 20th 2012
Interview........
April 16th 2013 - "In Process" on E-Cas: April 17th 2013
Passport Req..
May 19th 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Soon InshAllah
LANDED..........
Soon InshAllah
I believe that this is wrong,,,,,, I sponsored my ex husband, however I withdrew the application AFTER his passport was stamped with the visa,,,,
the embassy canceled his visa and he was not allowed to land though he tried to come to Canada, they crossed his visa off and they put him on the next flight back to where he came from.. and this was AFTER issuing the visa.... He wasn't given any landing rights at all and was held at a detention center in Canada before he was sent back 3 days later...... and I am not liable for him or supporting him in any way....

tuyen said:
Unfortunately for your friend, it's too late to change his mind at this point.

The answer can be found in the Sponsorship Guide.

May I cancel my undertaking?

If you change your mind about sponsoring your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent children, you must inform CPC-M at CPCM-EXTCOM @ cic.gc.ca of your decision to withdraw your undertaking before the visa office issues permanent resident visas. You must clearly state your name, date of birth and Universal Client Identification (UCI) /Client ID number, if know, in all correspondences.

Once permanent resident visas are issued, the promise you and your co-signer, if applicable, made to support your family is valid for the term of your undertaking.

According to the sponsorship guide, it's too late for him to withdraw the sponsorship. It doesn't matter if she landed or didn't land - what matters is that the sponsorship was approved and the visa has already been issued.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp

blessedelaine

Dec 10, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
61312 mailed out
Doc's Request.
n/a
Nomination.....
61512 CPC-M received
AOR Received.
82112- thru email
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
012813-email/ Submitted all docs: 040213
VISA ISSUED...
042513 PDOS.......:042613
LANDED..........
munchkin80 said:
I believe that this is wrong,,,,,, I sponsored my ex husband, however I withdrew the application AFTER his passport was stamped with the visa,,,,
the embassy canceled his visa and he was not allowed to land though he tried to come to Canada, they crossed his visa off and they put him on the next flight back to where he came from.. and this was AFTER issuing the visa.... He wasn't given any landing rights at all and was held at a detention center in Canada before he was sent back 3 days later...... and I am not liable for him or supporting him in any way....
Thanks for sharing munchkin80.. Can you share with us if when was this? And can u add up more stories so we can get more idea on how did your processing of withdrawal was handled. Just so for additional info since it was and ACTUAL experience by someone.. Thanks

watsonwoo

Nov 12, 2006
AnaMaria said:
Very interesting. But I am disappointed that the CBSA officer let her enter Canada when she was trying to land using that misrepresenting information.
Hi:

I am disappointed that the CBSA officer let her enter Canada. You should have received a Case number for reporting 'misrepresentation'.
In fact, when you call CBSA, I hope you include the following words, 'Violation' of immigration laws. And let them know that you reported the facts before she got into Canada. And always keep the Case ID handy.

Sorry, about your situation.

munchkin80

Aug 12, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 10th 2012
Doc's Request.
December 4th 2012, All sent January 3rd 2013
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
December 4th 2012
File Transfer...
September 20th 2012
Interview........
April 16th 2013 - "In Process" on E-Cas: April 17th 2013
Passport Req..
May 19th 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Soon InshAllah
LANDED..........
Soon InshAllah
Sure, no problem.

I was in a violent and domestically abusive relationship with my EX husband when I started living with him overseas, the abuse started well before that but I just thought to give the relationship a try and I went to him to live with him. I had applied for his sponsorship just a few months prior to coming to him. It was an outside of Canada application. My ex husband was approved in March 2010.. and than what happened was he took off without informing me in May 2010... Luckily a week prior to him taking off (or a few days prior) I called the embassy where our spousal sponsorship was being handled and they clearly emailed him and told him NOT to come to Canada and that to call the visa office,, but he did not read his email,, and he took off... I believe they would have told him not to take a flight and try landing as his visa was revoked and he would have saved himself the time and hassle.. but oh well he deserved it,, landing and than being sent back to his country.... He abused me in every single way possible including financially, psychically and emotionally... he drained me literally of everything I had... anyhow, he arrived at Pearson intentional 1 day before I did... I had decided to leave him few weeks before..and I am pretty sure that he knew that one day I would have enough of him and leave him. so I think he didn't want to take chances and try to land before me.. But I guess he was too smart to think that I would withdraw the application.. to make the story short... I arrived a day after him,, the airport authorities including CBSA interviewed me for well over an hour and asked me if I am serious and if I was not being pressured by my parents to withdraw the application or anyone else.. and I clearly told them what he had done to me.. and to withdraw it.... He was than sent back... and his visa was canceled... that's all that happened,.. and they also told me that he was not given any landing rights and was NOT ALLOWED to land as that would have given him certain rights... So I am glad it worked out. I am now married again.. I had some counselling on abuse of women, and I am now a lot stronger than I was before,,, I love my husband and he respects me and I respect him...

blessedelaine said:
Thanks for sharing munchkin80.. Can you share with us if when was this? And can u add up more stories so we can get more idea on how did your processing of withdrawal was handled. Just so for additional info since it was and ACTUAL experience by someone.. Thanks

blessedelaine

Dec 10, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
61312 mailed out
Doc's Request.
n/a
Nomination.....
61512 CPC-M received
AOR Received.
82112- thru email
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
012813-email/ Submitted all docs: 040213
VISA ISSUED...
042513 PDOS.......:042613
LANDED..........
munchkin80 said:
Sure, no problem.

I was in a violent and domestically abusive relationship with my EX husband when I started living with him overseas, the abuse started well before that but I just thought to give the relationship a try and I went to him to live with him. I had applied for his sponsorship just a few months prior to coming to him. It was an outside of Canada application. My ex husband was approved in March 2010.. and than what happened was he took off without informing me in May 2010... Luckily a week prior to him taking off (or a few days prior) I called the embassy where our spousal sponsorship was being handled and they clearly emailed him and told him NOT to come to Canada and that to call the visa office,, but he did not read his email,, and he took off... I believe they would have told him not to take a flight and try landing as his visa was revoked and he would have saved himself the time and hassle.. but oh well he deserved it,, landing and than being sent back to his country.... He abused me in every single way possible including financially, psychically and emotionally... he drained me literally of everything I had... anyhow, he arrived at Pearson intentional 1 day before I did... I had decided to leave him few weeks before..and I am pretty sure that he knew that one day I would have enough of him and leave him. so I think he didn't want to take chances and try to land before me.. But I guess he was too smart to think that I would withdraw the application.. to make the story short... I arrived a day after him,, the airport authorities including CBSA interviewed me for well over an hour and asked me if I am serious and if I was not being pressured by my parents to withdraw the application or anyone else.. and I clearly told them what he had done to me.. and to withdraw it.... He was than sent back... and his visa was canceled... that's all that happened,.. and they also told me that he was not given any landing rights and was NOT ALLOWED to land as that would have given him certain rights... So I am glad it worked out. I am now married again.. I had some counselling on abuse of women, and I am now a lot stronger than I was before,,, I love my husband and he respects me and I respect him...
Thanks for sharing. Im glad to know that you've moved on and is now with your new chapter in life.. We certainly learned something from your experience. Thanks again.