+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship Withdrawal before Landing

Galip

May 25, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All,

I have a quick question about the sponsorship withdrawal. A friend of mine is in this situation and I couldn't find the answer in the Guidelines.

The relationship between the sponsored person and her sponsor husband is very shaky and the sponsor husband thinks of seperation. However, the applicant got her COPR and her immigrant visa stamped on her passport but she hasn't landed yet.

In this situation is the sponsor husband able to withdraw his sponsorship before she lands?

If yes, where he could send his request letter? To the Visa Office or the Case Processing Centre?

I'll be happy if you answer this question.

Best regards,

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Galip said:
Hello All,

I have a quick question about the sponsorship withdrawal. A friend of mine is in this situation and I couldn't find the answer in the Guidelines.

The relationship between the sponsored person and her sponsor husband is very shaky and the sponsor husband thinks of seperation. However, the applicant got her COPR and her immigrant visa stamped on her passport but she hasn't landed yet.

In this situation is the sponsor husband able to withdraw his sponsorship before she lands?

If yes, where he could send his request letter? To the Visa Office or the Case Processing Centre?

I'll be happy if you answer this question.

Best regards,
1. Yes, as long as she hasn't landed. A copy of the letter faxed/emailed to the Visa office and to Mississauga.

Galip

May 25, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

1. Yes, as long as she hasn't landed. A copy of the letter faxed/emailed to the Visa office and to Mississauga.
Thank you very much PMM. I have another quick question if you don't mind.

How about the new 2 years conditional PR rule after landing?

If she lands and they divorce after her landing in two years, is the sponsor husband able to withdraw the sponsorship? In this situation does CIC cancel the sponsored wife's Permanent Resident status?

Best regards,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Galip said:
If she lands and they divorce after her landing in two years, is the sponsor husband able to withdraw the sponsorship? In this situation does CIC cancel the sponsored wife's Permanent Resident status?
No - he's not able to withdraw his sponsorship after she lands. And no - CIC will not cancel the sponsored wife's PR status. Conditional PR only applies to applications submitted on/after Oct 25, 2012.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2012/2012-10-26a.asp

hardtowait

Star Member
Aug 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 14, 2012
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
August 20, 2012
Med's Request
July 11, 2013
Med's Done....
July 17, 2013 re-medical
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
December 04, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
December 30, 2013
LANDED..........
February 08, 2014
scylla is right!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

scylla said:
No - he's not able to withdraw his sponsorship after she lands. And no - CIC will not cancel the sponsored wife's PR status. Conditional PR only applies to applications submitted on/after Oct 25, 2012.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2012/2012-10-26a.asp
Although if they don't live together, and he reports her, there is a good chance CBSA will look on it as a MOC and report her misrepresentation.

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Galip said:
Unfortunately for your friend, it's too late to change his mind at this point.

The answer can be found in the Sponsorship Guide.

May I cancel my undertaking?

If you change your mind about sponsoring your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent children, you must inform CPC-M at CPCM-EXTCOM @ cic.gc.ca of your decision to withdraw your undertaking before the visa office issues permanent resident visas. You must clearly state your name, date of birth and Universal Client Identification (UCI) /Client ID number, if know, in all correspondences.

Once permanent resident visas are issued, the promise you and your co-signer, if applicable, made to support your family is valid for the term of your undertaking.

Galip said:

According to the sponsorship guide, it's too late for him to withdraw the sponsorship. It doesn't matter if she landed or didn't land - what matters is that the sponsorship was approved and the visa has already been issued.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

Although if they don't live together, and he reports her, there is a good chance CBSA will look on it as a MOC and report her misrepresentation.
This is right. Sponsorship cannot be withdrawn. The only hope the sponsor would have is if he/she advises CBSA that they havebecome aware that the applicant committed fraud by only marrying him/her to gain entry into Canada, they discovered this after the PR visa was issued, tried to withdraw sponsorship but it was too late, and request that CBSA refuse to “land” the applicant, but instead issue an A44 report under Section 40 or 41 of the Act, or both, whichever applies in this situation. This may or may not work. I’ve heard of one case where it didn’t and one case where it did.

Galip

May 25, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tuyen said:
Unfortunately for your friend, it's too late to change his mind at this point.

The answer can be found in the Sponsorship Guide.

May I cancel my undertaking?

If you change your mind about sponsoring your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent children, you must inform CPC-M at CPCM-EXTCOM @ cic.gc.ca of your decision to withdraw your undertaking before the visa office issues permanent resident visas. You must clearly state your name, date of birth and Universal Client Identification (UCI) /Client ID number, if know, in all correspondences.

Once permanent resident visas are issued, the promise you and your co-signer, if applicable, made to support your family is valid for the term of your undertaking.

According to the sponsorship guide, it's too late for him to withdraw the sponsorship. It doesn't matter if she landed or didn't land - what matters is that the sponsorship was approved and the visa has already been issued.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp
Thank you Tuyen.

This is the most correct information I guess. I see that once COPR and the visa is issued right after the Visa Office completes the process. Even if the partners seperate or divorce before landing nothings changes. It's not very logical and it could be used by spousal sponsorhip fraud people. They should complete the case after landing.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
When you land, though, you are supposed to report any changes in your circumstances (actually, even before you land). So since they are now separated, wouldn't the applicant have to report this to the visa office, or at least on landing? In which case either the PR visa will be withdrawn, or they won't let her land.
And there was a case like this last year - the Canadian husband sponsor informed CIC he was withdrawing sponsorship, but the wife already had the PR visa and came to Canada anyway (from Pakistan). The border agents would not let her land, and she ended up returning to Pakistan.

I am not sure about this, and would defer to rjessome, PMM, and tuyen, but I do remember that case. Have the rules changed?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Galip said:
Thank you Tuyen.

This is the most correct information I guess. I see that once COPR and the visa is issued right after the Visa Office completes the process. Even if the partners seperate or divorce before landing nothings changes. It's not very logical and it could be used by spousal sponsorhip fraud people. They should complete the case after landing.
Except the Federal Court has ruled that the application commences at the moment it is submitted and that application is still in process until the person "lands" at a Port of Entry"

1. http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/en/2008/2008fc997/2008fc997.html

saint4peace

Star Member
Jul 11, 2012
Taiwan
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 22, 2012
AOR Received.
July 14, 2012
File Transfer...
August 29, 2012
Passport Req..
November 20, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
December 30, 2013
LANDED..........
February 12, 2014
Hi PMM: I tried to PM you but it seems your mailbox is FULL. I wanted to know if someone might get 2nd request for "FingerPrinting" by CIC. Like 1st time it was right after Citizenship Test, and 2nd time was with RQ letter and the exact same letter for doing FP again. Does it make sense to you? Or it could be mistaken by CIC? Please advise. or PM me please.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

saint4peace said:
Hi PMM: I tried to PM you but it seems your mailbox is FULL. I wanted to know if someone might get 2nd request for "FingerPrinting" by CIC. Like 1st time it was right after Citizenship Test, and 2nd time was with RQ letter and the exact same letter for doing FP again. Does it make sense to you? Or it could be mistaken by CIC? Please advise. or PM me please.
Pretty unusual, doesn't make sense, especially if you sent the FP prints in the first time. I would "bite the bulletin" and go to one of the approved digital fingerprinters for CIC, Corp of Commissionaires http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/fingerprint.asp for the list

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Except the Federal Court has ruled that the application commences at the moment it is submitted and that application is still in process until the person "lands" at a Port of Entry"

1. http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/en/2008/2008fc997/2008fc997.html
That case that you referenced involved an applicant who has not yet received his PR visa, therefore it was perfectly within CIC's jurisdiction to cancel his application altogether.

But the matter at hand is of a very different nature, whereby the applicant has already been issued a visa.

Also, I don't see anything in that ruling which states that an application is considered to be in process until landing.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Neither do I. A nice read (not too long), mind you the outcome was not surprising.