+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship/Permanent Resident for Canadian citizen/US citizen? need help

TJL

Star Member
Jul 2, 2007
My wife (canadian citizen) and I (us citizen) are wanting to move back to Canada (Alberta). Two years of marriage where she is a permanent resident of U.S. now. My wife has been offered a job with her previous employer (banking). I'm in education with master's degree. Status- no kids, no previous marriages, no criminal offense, I previously worked in Canada for 2 years (how we met).

1. If she has a job offer and we apply for sponsorship and permanent resident for me, can we go to Canada immediately?
2. What would be my status?
3. Assuming my status is visitor and limited to 6 months, if the PR application had not come through in 6 months, would I have to leave and wait until it does?
4. Can I get a work permit if visiting Canada? (securing a job would not be too difficult.)
5. The above sounds somewhat risky in that losing the visitor status in 6 months.
6. How long would I have to leave Canada and stay out until granted readmittance to begin another 6 months?
7. Approximately how long will it take for us to get to Canada with the least amount of risk?

Thank you for responding in advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

TJL said:
My wife (canadian citizen) and I (us citizen) are wanting to move back to Canada (Alberta). Two years of marriage where she is a permanent resident of U.S. now. My wife has been offered a job with her previous employer (banking). I'm in education with master's degree. Status- no kids, no previous marriages, no criminal offense, I previously worked in Canada for 2 years (how we met).

1. If she has a job offer and we apply for sponsorship and permanent resident for me, can we go to Canada immediately?
2. What would be my status?
3. Assuming my status is visitor and limited to 6 months, if the PR application had not come through in 6 months, would I have to leave and wait until it does?
4. Can I get a work permit if visiting Canada? (securing a job would not be too difficult.)
5. The above sounds somewhat risky in that losing the visitor status in 6 months.
6. How long would I have to leave Canada and stay out until granted readmittance to begin another 6 months?
7. Approximately how long will it take for us to get to Canada with the least amount of risk?

Thank you for responding in advance.
1. Start your reading at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp
2. You have 2 choice, you can go to Canada with your wife as a visitor and she can submit an "in-canada" sponsorship to Vegreville for you. You will not be able to work or attend school until you receive Approval in Principle, about 8-9 months into the process. Or you can go as a visitor, and your wife submits the sponsorship and your application to Mississauga and it is processed outside Canada at Buffalo. Processing is taking on average 37 days at Mississauga and then 3-13 months at Buffalo. You will not be able to work or attend school.
3. if you are admitted as a visitor for 6 months on entry, you can apply for a further extension through Vegreville.
4. There is no guarantee on entry to Canada at any time,

PMM

TJL

Star Member
Jul 2, 2007
Thank you PMM for responding and the information. Can you clarify a couple of questions?
1. So, I cannot enter Canada with any type of guarantee to be with my wife, in any status? Even though I pose no threat to Canada (no criminal record, highly educated, highly experienced, no kids, no previous marriages for either of us, etc.)?

Is there any way that I can relocate to Canada with my wife without any fear of having to leave Canada, given our status as respectable, socially contributing citizens?

Again, thanks in advance for responding and the help!!!