+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship for dependent children born in India

rahul1911

Star Member
May 21, 2015
Hello all.

My situation is a bit odd right so thought I 'd ask for some advice here.
Current situation :
My wife and I are PR's since Aug 2015. During her pregnancy she came to India for a few months and got stuck here due to the Pandemic with no flights available. When the fights started it was already too late for her to travel so she gave birth to our twins in India. Now I need to apply for the following :
1. PRTD for me, as I traveled to India to help my wife at the time of delivery. My PR card expired in Aug 2020. PR card application submitted June 5th confirmation received Sep 18th.
2. Sponsorship for my children.
3. As sponsorship may take time I want to apply for TRV as well and bring them to Canada. I have both children listed on my "In Canada" heath insurance which I hope will help me show that I can take care of them during their travel as visitors.
4. PRTD for my wife as well, her PR card expires on Sep 27th but she will be traveling to Canada with the kids. She is on her maternity leave right now since June.

My question is what order should I follow while applying these. Also on the sponsorship page it says "Permanent residents living abroad can’t sponsor from outside of Canada". I am in India right now for a 1-2 month trip with my job in Canada. Will I still be considered living in India based on this.

Thanks in advance as I have always had Great help from the forum.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My question is what order should I follow while applying these. Also on the sponsorship page it says "Permanent residents living abroad can’t sponsor from outside of Canada". I am in India right now for a 1-2 month trip with my job in Canada. Will I still be considered living in India based on this.
You have not made clear your compliance with the residency obligation. If you both are in compliance with your residency obligations, you should not have much trouble. There is a real question of how quickly they will process the PRTDs in current covid world - suggest you mark wherever possible as needed urgently.

Apply for the travel docs for your child (trv or trp? I don't know). You would likely not be considered as "living" outside Canada right now due to a relatively short visit abroad - but processing for the PR status for your child will take some time, regardless.

Therefore I would suggest/guess that the added time advantage of applying for your child's PR before you return to Canada is vastly outweighed by the risk of it getting returned on a technicality of you having submitted from abroad. Apply for the child's TRV asap. Return to Canada (whether at same time as your spouse and child or not) and then submit the PR application for your dependent child from within Canada.

One opinion only.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all.

My situation is a bit odd right so thought I 'd ask for some advice here.
Current situation :
My wife and I are PR's since Aug 2015. During her pregnancy she came to India for a few months and got stuck here due to the Pandemic with no flights available. When the fights started it was already too late for her to travel so she gave birth to our twins in India. Now I need to apply for the following :
1. PRTD for me, as I traveled to India to help my wife at the time of delivery. My PR card expired in Aug 2020. PR card application submitted June 5th confirmation received Sep 18th.
2. Sponsorship for my children.
3. As sponsorship may take time I want to apply for TRV as well and bring them to Canada. I have both children listed on my "In Canada" heath insurance which I hope will help me show that I can take care of them during their travel as visitors.
4. PRTD for my wife as well, her PR card expires on Sep 27th but she will be traveling to Canada with the kids. She is on her maternity leave right now since June.

Thanks in advance as I have always had Great help from the forum.
Apply for the PRTD for yourself and your wife now and also the TRV for your child.

You have to wait until you have returned to Canada to submit the application to sponsor your dependent child.

rahul1911

Star Member
May 21, 2015
Thanks @scylla and @armoured
I am planning to submit both PRTD and TRV applications soon.

What I read from some other topics is that if you apply for TRV before applying for Sponsorship application they generally reject it stating no intentions of TRV applicant of coming back to the country of origin after 6 months.
Do you think it matters in case of infants.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

What I read from some other topics is that if you apply for TRV before applying for Sponsorship application they generally reject it stating no intentions of TRV applicant of coming back to the country of origin after 6 months.
Based on what we've seen on this forum, TRV approvals for infants are around 50/50. If the TRV is refused then you can try applying for a TRP. If that is also refused then one of the parents will need to move to Canada ahead of the rest of the family to submit the sponsorship application. Once PR is approved, the child and other parent will be able to come to Canada.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Are you both in compliance with your residency obligation? If so, your chances should be better.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that unless you are talking about private insurance you purchased yourself your twins will not qualify for any employer benefit program until they have their provincial coverage.

rahul1911

Star Member
May 21, 2015
Thanks guys. Based on your advice I will file for Prtd's first and then the TRV's right after.

Both me and my wife are in compliance with the residency obligation but she has been out of Canada for 1 year now if for kids Sponsorship she has to remian outside for 10-11 more months that my strain things a bit, so going for PRTD and TRV first makes sense.

Last edited:

rahul1911

Star Member
May 21, 2015
Would add that unless you are talking about private insurance you purchased yourself your twins will not qualify for any employer benefit program until they have their provincial coverage.
That is true. I am planning to take personal insurance as well. Also plan to state in my application that my group insurance covers drugs for the kids in Canada only.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That is true. I am planning to take personal insurance as well. Also plan to state in my application that my group insurance covers drugs for the kids in Canada only.
The majority of extended benefit programs from employers will not cover any health expenses for your children, including medication, until they have provincial health coverage. I would suggest your read the fine print of your employer extended benefit plan. Usually states that the requirement to qualify for any benefit is that they qualify for provincial health plan first.

Reactions: rahul1911

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
As canuck78 mentioned, your work/private medical insurance/benefit will not cover your children unless they are covered by provincial health care first. Most, if not all, will want proof that your children have provincial health coverage (Ontario OHIP as a example), before extending coverage to your children. I had to show proof my spouse had OHIP before she was given access to any of my work benefits.

Reactions: rahul1911