none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
lengjai said:
We received your application for permanent residence on May 16, 2014.

We started processing your application on July 21, 2014.

Medical results have been received. (medical was done prior to application)

A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision. (status changed on the 12th of December)

e-mail we got regarding CoPR
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 6:37 AM
Sounds like you're done and your wife should be receiving her COPR in the next two or three weeks.

lengjai

Aug 4, 2014
bartjones said:
Sounds like you're done and your wife should be receiving her COPR in the next two or three weeks.
yes sir but she won't be coming until April anyways. She is just wondering when and how to exchange large funds to canadian? I have a staff bank account but krw rates is terrible to exchange. It was better to change my cad to krw in myeong dong. Where did your wife or you change krw when you came back from korea? if you don't mind me asking. Looking for best deals

shanerang

Oct 28, 2014
Does anyone know what kind of bank information I have to attach with my application? I recently bought a house and my bank account has $2000 or less due to my mortgage, also I have a 8000$ line of credit from the bank, will that affect my chances of being eligible to sponsor my wife, I put 100,000$ for my down payment however the mortgage account is another bank and my 2000$ account balance is on my personal spending account, I have a $40,000 yearly job income, Just worried about my chances of being able to sponsor my wife, anyone know what the qualifications are for just sponsoring a wife? I'm a naturalized canadian citizen for 18 years now if that makes a difference, also my bank said I'm unable to add my wife to my mortgage account or her name to my house title due to she currently doesn't have any income, will that affect our chances of getting approved?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
shanerang said:
Does anyone know what kind of bank information I have to attach with my application? I recently bought a house and my bank account has $2000 or less due to my mortgage, also I have a 8000$ line of credit from the bank, will that affect my chances of being eligible to sponsor my wife, I put 100,000$ for my down payment however the mortgage account is another bank and my 2000$ account balance is on my personal spending account, I have a $40,000 yearly job income, Just worried about my chances of being able to sponsor my wife, anyone know what the qualifications are for just sponsoring a wife? I'm a naturalized canadian citizen for 18 years now if that makes a difference, also my bank said I'm unable to add my wife to my mortgage account or her name to my house title due to she currently doesn't have any income, will that affect our chances of getting approved?
You don't need any bank info at all. CIC doesn't care about what savings or debts you have, so you don't need to state any of this.

You just need to include your Option C printout from CRA showing most recent tax year information, and your employment info, and that is more than enough to be approved as sponsor.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
lengjai said:
yes sir but she won't be coming until April anyways. She is just wondering when and how to exchange large funds to canadian? I have a staff bank account but krw rates is terrible to exchange. It was better to change my cad to krw in myeong dong. Where did your wife or you change krw when you came back from korea? if you don't mind me asking. Looking for best deals
Don't know. We just did a wire transfer from our Korean account to my Canadian bank account.

ctcruiser

Star Member
May 25, 2014
I have a quick question about taxes. On my Canada and alberta tax forms for my new employer, line 6 says I can claim a deduction if I am supporting my spouse. Since my spouse is not a permanent resident and can't work, I am fully supporting her. However, my question is whether I am allowed to claim this deduction or not. I'm not sure if it only applies to citizens and permanent residents, or if my wife(currently "living" with me as a visitor to Canada during the process) would be acceptable under this category.
If I can claim it, that would be a huge break on my deductions.
CT

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ctcruiser said:
I have a quick question about taxes. On my Canada and alberta tax forms for my new employer, line 6 says I can claim a deduction if I am supporting my spouse. Since my spouse is not a permanent resident and can't work, I am fully supporting her. However, my question is whether I am allowed to claim this deduction or not. I'm not sure if it only applies to citizens and permanent residents, or if my wife(currently "living" with me as a visitor to Canada during the process) would be acceptable under this category.
If I can claim it, that would be a huge break on my deductions.
CT
You can most definitely claim your spouse under that section. It doesn't matter if she has a SIN or what her status is. When asked about her in your taxes, you can enter in 000 000 000 for her SIN, and make note that she is not a PR or citizen.

If you're filing taxes online or through a tax software program, you may need to get your wife an Individual Tax Number (ITN for non-residents: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1261/t1261-14e.pdf ) which is kind of a temporary SIN. If you don't have this, some tax programs may not accept her information and you could be forced to do your tax entirely by paper the old fashioned way.

CRA will ask for your wife's "world" income earned outside Canada to determine the credit you're eligible for. If it's $0, you can just say that.

ctcruiser

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Thanks for the reply Rob. That will help a lot with deductions on my check and the budget in general this year. I appreciate the quick response!

CT

steveohan

Dec 3, 2014
Hi folks,

A couple of quick questions. My wife and I are a few days away from sending our packet so we just finished the medical check on Sunday.

The document checklist states that form IMM 1017 should be included in the packet. My wife went for an e-medical, and this form was not provided to her. She did get a 'Medical Information Sheet' with all her details, picture, and a UMI number I think it is. My question is, will this form suffice?

Also, a quick question regarding the police check. There were some provided pdf's that I downloaded from the CIC website for police checks here in South Korea. My wife went for her check and apparently they have changed things up a bit. She requested results in both English and Korean, but I'm having a hard time finding a 'all records have been searched' string anywhere on the results. Has anyone done this police check recently? Did you have any issues?

Thank you!
-Steve

shanerang

Oct 28, 2014
thanks for your previous replies. Me and my Korean wife have compiled pretty much all of our sponsorship documents, and i'll be going to Korea next month and coming back to Canada in the middle of march. We're pretty nervous as to what we should tell the officer at the border, anyone have any tips? should she just say shes visiting her husband? or not mention husband at all? Or should we tell them she'll be visiting me and we'll be applying for outland during her visit? or is coming back together with me not a good idea? All of our outland documents will be in our luggage with us along with our marriage certificate. She also has a return ticket for june. Does she have a good chance of getting a 6 month visitor visa or will she get a visa based on her return ticket, sorry for so many questions, we're pretty much in the last phase of her coming back to Canada and we're pretty lost as to what to say when crossing the CBSA officer. Any tips would be great, TIA everyone!!!

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
steveohan said:
The document checklist states that form IMM 1017 should be included in the packet. My wife went for an e-medical, and this form was not provided to her. She did get a 'Medical Information Sheet' with all her details, picture, and a UMI number I think it is. My question is, will this form suffice?
Yes

Also, a quick question regarding the police check. There were some provided pdf's that I downloaded from the CIC website for police checks here in South Korea. My wife went for her check and apparently they have changed things up a bit. She requested results in both English and Korean, but I'm having a hard time finding a 'all records have been searched' string anywhere on the results. Has anyone done this police check recently? Did you have any issues?
It appears that CIC has not caught on to the fact that the Korean Police Service has changed their process for issuing criminal background checks. How long did it take the KPS to issue your wife's background check?

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
shanerang said:
thanks for your previous replies. Me and my Korean wife have compiled pretty much all of our sponsorship documents, and i'll be going to Korea next month and coming back to Canada in the middle of march. We're pretty nervous as to what we should tell the officer at the border, anyone have any tips? should she just say shes visiting her husband? or not mention husband at all? Or should we tell them she'll be visiting me and we'll be applying for outland during her visit? or is coming back together with me not a good idea? All of our outland documents will be in our luggage with us along with our marriage certificate. She also has a return ticket for june. Does she have a good chance of getting a 6 month visitor visa or will she get a visa based on her return ticket, sorry for so many questions, we're pretty much in the last phase of her coming back to Canada and we're pretty lost as to what to say when crossing the CBSA officer. Any tips would be great, TIA everyone!!!
I would tell them that she is coming to Canada to visit her husband. You do not want to tell them that she is coming to "live" here nor should she look like she is. Having a return ticket is an excellent idea as it's good evidence of her intention to return to Korea.

Unless they ask you about a PR application, I wouldn't mention it. If they do ask, I'd be honest and tell them that you intend to file for PR soon and, once the PR application is submitted, you will be applying to extend her visitor's visa so that she can extend her visit and wait out the PR process here. I think you'll be fine.

steveohan

Dec 3, 2014
bartjones said:
Yes

It appears that CIC has not caught on to the fact that the Korean Police Service has changed their process for issuing criminal background checks. How long did it take the KPS to issue your wife's background check?
Thanks for the quick reply.
It took my wife a few days to get the results. She was given two pieces of paper, and one of them it stated that all lapsed records were searched.

I've actually gone through and re-read this entire thread. It seems like there is an 'on the spot results' option that covers the lapsed records, but some of the police stations are reluctant to issue this. My wife was told that the results she received would suffice for immigration purposes - but I was skeptical.

Anyway, we sent off our docs last weekend by DHL. They were delivered to the office on the morning of January 5th. Now we wait...

NRSY

Star Member
Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2016
AOR Received.
02-03-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
I have a few quick questions... some of these may have been asked before.. I have gone through about 10 pages of posts on here but cant do another 140!

Anyways, I am Canadian and my boyfriend is Korean.. for the past couple of years we have been living in Korea together. I am planning to go back to school in Canada next year and of course he would like to come with me. We are going to be getting married within the next couple of years. What is the easiest way for him to come to Canada with me and work while I am going to school? Ideally I would like him to settle in Canada and raise our family there.

I believe IEC to do a working holiday visa would be the best option right? What if we get married during time he is on working holiday? Would he be able to apply for PR while in Canada and while using the working holiday visa?

Also, how long is the wait to get PR applying within Canada compared to applying from Korea?

Would he be able to come to Canada with me and work or study while waiting for PR? Or does he have to stay in Korea during the application process?

Thank you in advance for the answers! I really appreciate it

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
NRSY said:
What is the easiest way for him to come to Canada with me and work while I am going to school? Ideally I would like him to settle in Canada and raise our family there.
If you can prove that you have been living together for 12 consecutive months, you can submit a common-law application for PR now. Maybe Rob_TO can help here. He did a common law application with his Korean spouse.

Also, how long is the wait to get PR applying within Canada compared to applying from Korea?
Applying outland is much faster than inland these days. In some cases Manila has been processing Korean PR applications in less than 6 months. You can submit an outland application for PR even if your boyfriend is in Canada. He does not have to be in Korea to submit an outland application.

Would he be able to come to Canada with me and work or study while waiting for PR? Or does he have to stay in Korea during the application process?
He does not have to stay in Korea during the application process and can stay with you in Canada on a different visa.

Good luck.