Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
steveohan said:
Thanks for the quick reply.
It took my wife a few days to get the results. She was given two pieces of paper, and one of them it stated that all lapsed records were searched.

I've actually gone through and re-read this entire thread. It seems like there is an 'on the spot results' option that covers the lapsed records, but some of the police stations are reluctant to issue this. My wife was told that the results she received would suffice for immigration purposes - but I was skeptical.

Anyway, we sent off our docs last weekend by DHL. They were delivered to the office on the morning of January 5th. Now we wait...
It's still a little unclear which check will suffice for CIC purposes, but it seems you got the newer one and it indicates all lapsed records were searched. I think you'll be fine. Worst case scenario, CIC asks you to get the quick one.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
NRSY said:
Anyways, I am Canadian and my boyfriend is Korean.. for the past couple of years we have been living in Korea together. I am planning to go back to school in Canada next year and of course he would like to come with me. We are going to be getting married within the next couple of years. What is the easiest way for him to come to Canada with me and work while I am going to school? Ideally I would like him to settle in Canada and raise our family there.
If you've lived together 12 consecutive months, you can apply immediately for his PR as common-law. However you will need to show proof of cohabitation like shared lease/rental agreement, mail in each of your names delivered to same address, shared accounts, etc etc. I know in Korea, this is often difficult to get for foreigners.

Yes if he can get a working holiday visa that would be ideal, but you need to research the requirements and when the program opens, availability, etc. I know they can often be a pain to apply and get accepted to.

Else if he travels to Canada as a visitor and you get married in Canada (or get married in Korea) you can apply anytime after that as married spouses. For that, would not need to prove the cohabitation.

CanNZ

Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-13
AOR Received.
10-07-13
File Transfer...
22-07-13
Med's Request
Sent with app.
Med's Done....
14-06-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2015
LANDED..........
07-03-2015
Haven't posted in a long time becuase I have just been too pissed off to post on here.

Basically, my wife is still waiting, we are in the 20th month now. I recently phoned my MP's office and pretty much lost it. 2 days later my wife get's an email from Manila asking her to redo her medical because.........it's been too long. So it looks like we are nearing the end of the tunnel at least. The rest of you who have gotten it quickly and with out hassel don't know how lucky they are.

NRSY

Star Member
Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2016
AOR Received.
02-03-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
bartjones & Rob_TO

Thank you both for the great answers! I am sure I will be back in this forum once I start the process.... It seems it may be better for us to get married sooner rather than later to get this process started if we are already sure its what we want! It would be very hard for us to prove cohabitation, so I think I will have to wait until we get married.
Thanks again!

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
CanNZ said:
Haven't posted in a long time becuase I have just been too pissed off to post on here.

Basically, my wife is still waiting, we are in the 20th month now. I recently phoned my MP's office and pretty much lost it. 2 days later my wife get's an email from Manila asking her to redo her medical because.........it's been too long. So it looks like we are nearing the end of the tunnel at least. The rest of you who have gotten it quickly and with out hassel don't know how lucky they are.
I was wondering what was going on with you guys.

That absolutely sucks. What is the MP's office saying? Why the hell is it taking so long?

For what it's worth, I found that with my MP, I had to kick them in the butt a few times to get them going.

Van Rooster

Jan 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
11-04-2015
Med's Request
sent with app
Med's Done....
09-02-2015
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
18-05-2015
LANDED..........
22-06-2015
Short time lurker, first time poster... Also tried to get through as much of this thread as possible before posting, but 154 pages, not quite.

My wife and I were married in Seoul a few weeks ago over the holidays. She's going to be coming to Canada on a working holiday visa (after numerous attempts) in April while I'm already back here in school.

A few questions off the start and I'm sure I'll have more as we wade into the swamp of PR application:

-The plan is for her to collect all the necessary Korean docs and mail them here for translation, notarization etc., get the medical check here when she comes and get the application off ASAP after she arrives to maximize the WHV time. Any issues with this approach?

-I understand that when she comes here we can apply either as inland or outland with outland being the faster option but inland allowing her the potential to extend her working abilities after the WHV visa expires. Any opinions on the best route to take?

-Being currently in school full-time and not working I don't have much in the way of income apart from a co-op work semester from the past summer and one I am now from Jan-May. From what I gather I don't need to show proof of income (no dependents) but I still need to be able to financially support my wife. Do I have any worry of being rejected as a sponsor if I list myself as an unemployed student? The VO must take into account that she's on the WHV and can earn income? I also have parents who can provide a letter of financial support similar to CanNZ.

This thread has been a huge help already and we appreciate any more.
Cheers!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Van Rooster said:
-The plan is for her to collect all the necessary Korean docs and mail them here for translation, notarization etc., get the medical check here when she comes and get the application off ASAP after she arrives to maximize the WHV time. Any issues with this approach?
If you intend to wait until she gets to Canada to apply, that would be fine (or she can just bring the docs with her when she comes).

However why wait? If you get the OUTLAND app together now, you can send it while she's still in Korea to get the process started. Then just update her address to your Canadian address when she moves here.

-I understand that when she comes here we can apply either as inland or outland with outland being the faster option but inland allowing her the potential to extend her working abilities after the WHV visa expires. Any opinions on the best route to take?
WHV is not extendable, so it doesn't benefit from "implied" status. However that is a moot point, since INLAND applicants these days will get an Open Work Permit sometime during the first year of PR processing, which would ultimately replace the WHV when she got it.

Still though in her case it's better (IMO) to apply OUTLAND through the Manila office. She will be able to stay legally in Canada and able to work until April 2016, and if you get the OUTLAND app off in the next couple months it will most likely be completely finished and she would have her PR status before that time. In the rare case processing takes an incredibly long time and goes beyond her WHV time, she could then change her status to visitor to continue staying here (but then couldn't work). Plus during OUTLAND processing she is free to come and go from Canada as she wishes for vacations, visiting family, etc. With an INLAND app, it's not advised to leave Canada for entire duration of processing (so 2 years).

-Being currently in school full-time and not working I don't have much in the way of income apart from a co-op work semester from the past summer and one I am now from Jan-May. From what I gather I don't need to show proof of income (no dependents) but I still need to be able to financially support my wife. Do I have any worry of being rejected as a sponsor if I list myself as an unemployed student? The VO must take into account that she's on the WHV and can earn income? I also have parents who can provide a letter of financial support similar to CanNZ.
It won't be a problem. Definitely get your parents to write a letter of financial support.
Also indicate a "plan" on how you will support yourselves. Her being on WHV is irrelevant since they are concerned about how you will support yourselves AFTER she gets PR. Plus they are more concerned here about you the sponsor, not her the applicant. If you are still in school, then indicate what type of job you expect to get upon graduation, and what your field typically pays. Even showing previous income from a co-op term will help.

Van Rooster

Jan 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
11-04-2015
Med's Request
sent with app
Med's Done....
09-02-2015
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
18-05-2015
LANDED..........
22-06-2015
Thanks for the quick reply Rob.

That's not a bad idea to start the outland app. My only concern with that is will it affect her ability to enter on the WHV? i.e. I'm imagining a CBSA agent scanning her passport and seeing a PR application in the system and this causing some issue. Just want to have all angles covered.
I had spoken briefly to an immi consultant and he said she shouldn't come with any documents when arriving on a WHV visa as a border agent might be suspicious that she was coming on a one year WHV with documents that look like she's trying to live in Canada. This is probably why I'm concerned about any WHV/PR conflicts, if there are any that exist.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Van Rooster said:
Thanks for the quick reply Rob.

That's not a bad idea to start the outland app. My only concern with that is will it affect her ability to enter on the WHV? i.e. I'm imagining a CBSA agent scanning her passport and seeing a PR application in the system and this causing some issue. Just want to have all angles covered.
I had spoken briefly to an immi consultant and he said she shouldn't come with any documents when arriving on a WHV visa as a border agent might be suspicious that she was coming on a one year WHV with documents that look like she's trying to live in Canada. This is probably why I'm concerned about any WHV/PR conflicts, if there are any that exist.
A PR app and WHV are 2 completely separate things that have no relevance to each other. So it's perfectly fine to have a PR app in progress while you are also entering on WHV.

Also if you get her PR application submitted before she arrives, then this actually helps when talking to CBSA upon arrival in Canada. If they see you have already started the PR paperwork, they are usually very accommodating at allowing you into Canada. Most people even bring proof of PR receipt or sponsor approval letter.

Anyways if she's entering with a WHV, it's very unlikely they will give her much trouble or ask many questions.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Van Rooster said:
The plan is for her to collect all the necessary Korean docs and mail them here for translation, notarization etc., get the medical check here when she comes and get the application off ASAP after she arrives to maximize the WHV time. Any issues with this approach?
I agree with Rob. Do it now. You'll also save a lot of money getting the translations and medical done in Korea. Good luck.

CanNZ

Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-13
AOR Received.
10-07-13
File Transfer...
22-07-13
Med's Request
Sent with app.
Med's Done....
14-06-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2015
LANDED..........
07-03-2015
In all honesty, not sure if there is a point in doing the medicals upfront now. Manila's timeline is now up to 15 months and it seems to only be getting slower and slower over there. Just my two cents.

NRSY

Star Member
Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2016
AOR Received.
02-03-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Thanks for all of those questions van rooster... that will most likely be my situation too so I was happy to read your posts!

Can we not apply through the Hong Kong office rather than Manilla since the Manilla office has very long wait times now too?

NRSY

Star Member
Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2016
AOR Received.
02-03-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
woops , never mind! I read the Hong Kong section wrong .. it said something about korea but not for PR

Van Rooster

Jan 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
11-04-2015
Med's Request
sent with app
Med's Done....
09-02-2015
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
18-05-2015
LANDED..........
22-06-2015
Thanks for all the input. Time to get on Skype with the wife and start to get all her info for the application. Just how long has it taken people to get the full application together roughly? What's the most time consuming part?

NRSY I'll try to keep updates on our progress.

Just to check, Korean docs my wife needs to get:

• Family Relation Certificate and one certified true translation into French or English
• Marriage Relation Certificate and one certified true translation into French or English
• Old (deleted) Family Census Register and one certified true translation into French or English
• Korean police certificate
• Photocopy of Korean ID (passport and/or national ID card)
• Health check (right before sending me everything)
• Entry/Exit document (for later)
+ Australian police certificate (for later, from previous WHV)

Cheers!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Van Rooster said:
Thanks for all the input. Time to get on Skype with the wife and start to get all her info for the application. Just how long has it taken people to get the full application together roughly? What's the most time consuming part?

NRSY I'll try to keep updates on our progress.

Just to check, Korean docs my wife needs to get:

• Family Relation Certificate and one certified true translation into French or English
• Marriage Relation Certificate and one certified true translation into French or English
• Old (deleted) Family Census Register and one certified true translation into French or English
• Korean police certificate
• Photocopy of Korean ID (passport and/or national ID card)
• Health check (right before sending me everything)
• Entry/Exit document (for later)
+ Australian police certificate (for later, from previous WHV)

Cheers!
That sounds like everything. If she lived in Australia for over 6 months, then she should also request the Australian police certificate and include that with the application as well, not wait for later.

The entry/exit document may or may not be asked for later, but definitely don't need that one up front. In our case my wife was in Canada during PR processing so we got her sister to get the entry/exit doc on her behalf for us in Korea, but I've heard you can also just access and print this online these days.