+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my Korean wife for permanent residency

jmomcc

Star Member
May 29, 2014
I'm going to get my medical done tomorrow at the Sahmyook medical center in Seoul. They told me to bring my passport, photos and a form. I didn't think much of it until now, when I went to download the form (IMM 1017E).

However I can't find the form on the site and I'm not even sure if I need the form. Closer reading seems to indicate that for an upfront medical exam, I don't need one. Also, the request for photos seems to indicate that they don't use the emedical system (I didn't ask them, but should have). So I have some questions I hope you guys can help me with:

1) Do I need a form? If so, what one?
2) Should I find a different hospital that uses the emedical system?
3) Anyone have any experience with SahmYook?

Thanks!

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
jmomcc said:
I'm going to get my medical done tomorrow at the Sahmyook medical center in Seoul. They told me to bring my passport, photos and a form. I didn't think much of it until now, when I went to download the form (IMM 1017E).

However I can't find the form on the site and I'm not even sure if I need the form. Closer reading seems to indicate that for an upfront medical exam, I don't need one. Also, the request for photos seems to indicate that they don't use the emedical system (I didn't ask them, but should have). So I have some questions I hope you guys can help me with:

Thanks!
I'm not sure. When my wife did hers at Yonsei in January 2013 she had to bring a form called "Appendix C" along with her passport and some photos. I thought that changed and now you didn't need to bring the form. Maybe you can call the clinic and ask them where you can get the form they're talking about.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jmomcc said:

Thanks!
Read here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-perm.asp
When you go to your appointment, you must bring:
-the Medical Report form (IMM 1017E), if you do not undergo an up-front medical exam. The visa office will send you this form.

Since you are doing an up-front exam, 1017E form is not required.

It also states here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLish/resources/publications/dmp-handbook/index.asp#chap4.3.2
4.3.2 Upfront Medical (IMM 1017B UPFRONT)

UFM examinations are performed when clients report to a panel physician for their IME before a visa application has been submitted to CIC. Clients who are eligible for UFM examinations will not have a Medical Report (IMM 1017) issued by CIC nor will they have an existing file in the eMedical system.

Panel physicians should not refuse to examine these clients.

Korean panel docs probably do way more medicals for student and work visas in which case the IMM1017 form is required to bring. You need to explain to them it's not a requirements for family-class UPFRONT medical exams. They will give you a copy of the 1017 form after the exam is done which will have your medical file # on it, and that is what you submit with the PR app.

CanNZ

Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-13
AOR Received.
10-07-13
File Transfer...
22-07-13
Med's Request
Sent with app.
Med's Done....
14-06-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2015
LANDED..........
07-03-2015
Tried to check my wife's status today online, and I couldn't. This was the first time I have ever not been able to login. Strange.

Red Tape Sucks

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Seoul
Category........
Visa Office......
Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 17, 2014
AOR Received.
February 19, 2014
Med's Done....
With application
VISA ISSUED...
July 29, 2014
LANDED..........
August 20, 2014
Hey Guys,

Found out some good news today. As of July 1st the Korean police will issue a police report in English. Both my wife (for her PR card) and I (for a job I've applied for) put in the request for an English Korean police reports today. The Police report is still free of charge, you only need to pay for the picture which is needed. The only thing is that it will be done in 3 days instead of the same day. However, this is still a big help, as we no longer need to get it translated and notarised.

Just thought I would pass on this good news!

jmomcc

Star Member
May 29, 2014
Red Tape Sucks said:
Hey Guys,

Found out some good news today. As of July 1st the Korean police will issue a police report in English. Both my wife (for her PR card) and I (for a job I've applied for) put in the request for an English Korean police reports today. The Police report is still free of charge, you only need to pay for the picture which is needed. The only thing is that it will be done in 3 days instead of the same day. However, this is still a big help, as we no longer need to get it translated and notarised.

Just thought I would pass on this good news!
Wow, that's fantastic news! Do you still fill out the same form? Also, do you still have to make sure about the lapsed record section or is that automatic now?

jmomcc

Star Member
May 29, 2014
Rob_TO said:
Read here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-perm.asp
When you go to your appointment, you must bring:
-the Medical Report form (IMM 1017E), if you do not undergo an up-front medical exam. The visa office will send you this form.

Since you are doing an up-front exam, 1017E form is not required.

It also states here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLish/resources/publications/dmp-handbook/index.asp#chap4.3.2
4.3.2 Upfront Medical (IMM 1017B UPFRONT)

UFM examinations are performed when clients report to a panel physician for their IME before a visa application has been submitted to CIC. Clients who are eligible for UFM examinations will not have a Medical Report (IMM 1017) issued by CIC nor will they have an existing file in the eMedical system.

Panel physicians should not refuse to examine these clients.

Korean panel docs probably do way more medicals for student and work visas in which case the IMM1017 form is required to bring. You need to explain to them it's not a requirements for family-class UPFRONT medical exams. They will give you a copy of the 1017 form after the exam is done which will have your medical file # on it, and that is what you submit with the PR app.
thanks. I cancelled and rebooked for Friday so I'll tell them then that I don't need a form.

Red Tape Sucks

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Seoul
Category........
Visa Office......
Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 17, 2014
AOR Received.
February 19, 2014
Med's Done....
With application
VISA ISSUED...
July 29, 2014
LANDED..........
August 20, 2014
jmomcc said:
Wow, that's fantastic news! Do you still fill out the same form? Also, do you still have to make sure about the lapsed record section or is that automatic now?
We are going back in tomorrow morning with all the forms and what not. I will let you know some more details once it's all done.

amjad1002

Oct 4, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila phip
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2013
Doc's Request.
07-05-2014
AOR Received.
30-08-2013
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
10-09-2013
Med's Request
already sent
Med's Done....
11-08-2013 and redo 08-02-2015
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
02-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
3 Feb 2016
jmomcc said:

Thanks!
I did the same hospital and I only bring passport and nothing and they did my medical and send to Cic after 2, to 3 days after sending your medical to cic they will e mail you about it.

Red Tape Sucks

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Seoul
Category........
Visa Office......
Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 17, 2014
AOR Received.
February 19, 2014
Med's Done....
With application
VISA ISSUED...
July 29, 2014
LANDED..........
August 20, 2014
Who_is_Your_Daddy? said:
Same here. I'd guess they have a system problem.
I was able to check my wife's status, but not mine.... haha

Red Tape Sucks

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Seoul
Category........
Visa Office......
Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 17, 2014
AOR Received.
February 19, 2014
Med's Done....
With application
VISA ISSUED...
July 29, 2014
LANDED..........
August 20, 2014
Hello all,

We went back to the police station today. The police officer showed me what the English background check looks like, and it's actually much nicer than the regular Korean one that you get.... however, it only says "no records found" and doesn't say anything about "lapsed records". The officer ensured me that they have changed the system in Korea and that this one will be fine for immigration purposes. We are picking them up on Thursday or Friday and sending them off that day. I will update this again, if I hear anything more from Manilla.

*I have been trying to attach a picture of the application forms, but I can't seem to get it to work. Has anyone attached a picture before? I want to attach the application form and the actual police check once I receive it.

amjad1002

Oct 4, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila phip
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2013
Doc's Request.
07-05-2014
AOR Received.
30-08-2013
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
10-09-2013
Med's Request
already sent
Med's Done....
11-08-2013 and redo 08-02-2015
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
02-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
3 Feb 2016
Rob_TO said:
They do not call. They just send it based on current address they happen to have on file.
Dear r
ROB
I want to Confirm that they will send on sponsor address or applicant? Actually we have change our old apartment and my sponsor update her address through e mail and Manila did but when I (applicant e mail my new address the did not change and e case showing my old address I e mail twice but still no change and 3 Months has done.

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
Red Tape Sucks said:
Hello all,

We went back to the police station today. The police officer showed me what the English background check looks like, and it's actually much nicer than the regular Korean one that you get.... however, it only says "no records found" and doesn't say anything about "lapsed records". The officer ensured me that they have changed the system in Korea and that this one will be fine for immigration purposes. We are picking them up on Thursday or Friday and sending them off that day. I will update this again, if I hear anything more from Manilla.

*I have been trying to attach a picture of the application forms, but I can't seem to get it to work. Has anyone attached a picture before? I want to attach the application form and the actual police check once I receive it.
How long are background checks valid for?

Does CIC ask for an updated background check? How would one go about getting one if in Canada?

Thanks!

jmomcc

Star Member
May 29, 2014
amjad1002 said:
I did the same hospital and I only bring passport and nothing and they did my medical and send to Cic after 2, to 3 days after sending your medical to cic they will e mail you about it.
You did yours upfront as well?

Maybe the person on the phone I talked to isn't aware of the new system. Anyway, I'll head there friday and see whats up.