Sponsoring husband from Morocco

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BettyPage said:
dair2,
I posted to show that relationships fall apart for various reasons, it's not always the immigration scam story that people on forums talk about. What changed so significantly? I didn't know him well enough, once he was in Canada he was more relaxed and let his true self come through, which was someone I wasn't interested in being with.

I look at it as a learning experience.
I wouldn't wish what happened to you on my worst enemy! :-* You are an extraordinary person.

BettyPage is right. Marriage is hard. Throw in cultural differences, varying expectations, lack of time spent together, etc. and you've got extra challenges to face. There are days when I wish I never set foot in Morocco. And then others when I think it was the best thing that ever happened to me. When you only visit each other sporadically and don't get to spend a lot of time together, it's like you are constantly on a "first date" where everyone puts their best foot forward. And communicating via telephone or online let's you put on a persona of who you "want" to be but not necessarily who you are. That goes for both parties. From someone who DID spend a lot of time in Morocco both getting to know the culture and with my husband before he came to Canada, I GUARANTEE you will be surprised by issues that you didn't think would come up. How you handle them will be up to you and your husband. I also had struggles with having my husband constantly in my space. To be honest, I still do. Compromise can go a long way to helping this but sometimes....

dair2dv8103100

Aug 6, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
28.02.11/19.03.12
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Aug 1, 2012 :)
BettyPage said:
dair2,
I posted to show that relationships fall apart for various reasons, it's not always the immigration scam story that people on forums talk about. What changed so significantly? I didn't know him well enough, once he was in Canada he was more relaxed and let his true self come through, which was someone I wasn't interested in being with.

I look at it as a learning experience.
Thank you for sharing Betty.

I agree, any experience, good or bad, is a learning experience. We have to decide how we are going to react to those situations.

Like rjessome said too.....it's like being on a first date...there are so many little things that we don't know about each. Like our schedule during the day and such. And him coming here will throw so many things up in the air. Especially since I have a child involved.

I suppose its almost dream like, or thats how I feel at the moment. I am trying to think of it as an adventure that I will have to be prepared for anything and ready to make adjustments as I go. And really life is like that.

I thank everyone for sharing their experiences. Really I appreciate this site so much because I don't like to fantasize about some fairy tale...I like reality :)

hopeful_waiting

Star Member
Jan 22, 2009
Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2009
AOR Received.
March 2009
Interview........
Nov 2009
Passport Req..
Nov 2009
VISA ISSUED...
nov 2009
LANDED..........
Dec 2009
rjessome said:
It was a HUGE culture shock when he moved here. I had spent a significant time in Morocco both visiting and working so I knew just how different our societies were and definitely anticipated that. But it was overwhelming for him for awhile. What helped was that I took him very quickly to a local mosque. He made friends quickly with people from various countries, including Morocco, and that helped to give him perspective about Canada that didn't come from me. I also have Moroccan friends in various parts of the city so I quickly introduced him to them as well.

Working in Canada is also much different in Morocco. The expectations are different, they way people communicate is different, even the length of time people take for a lunch break is very different! It didn't take him long to find a job, only about 3 weeks, but it was an adjustment for him fitting in to Canadian work culture. Also, he was surprised at how much our lives in Canada revolve around work. Most of us live quieter lives here. We work, go home, eat, relax for a few hours and then go to bed. We have quieter social lives than in Morocco where friends may drop in on a work night and stay for hours. This is a regular thing in Morocco but definitely not the norm in my life in Canada. Socializing is left for the weekends if there is enough energy left after the household chores are done! I think it's rude if my phone rings after 10 pm on a weeknight! I go to bed early and wake up early. I'm on a schedule. Hubby had difficulty adjusting from "Moroccan time". In Morocco, if someone tells you they will meet you at 1 pm they may show up at 2 pm or not at all. Nobody really takes offence to that. In Canada, that's rude and a big NO NO. He learned that pretty quickly. He also had to learn how to say NO and realize that people won't take offence to it. It was so frustrating to have him skirt around an issue because he didn't want to just say no. That was a hard lesson and one that will still come up now and then.

A big struggle for us was the division of household work. He never washed his own or a dish in Morocco. It's woman's work. It didn't mean that he didn't love or respect me, just didn't realize there was an expectation that he do his share around the house. I let him in on that news pretty quickly and still get frustrated that I have to ASK him to pick up after himself. Had to find some creative ways of making him "get" that but it continues to be a bit of a struggle. He now knows how to do various things and does a pretty good job but just doesn't "think" to do it.

The biggest and most difficult issue for us is jealousy. Moroccan men have a very different way of viewing how their wives should behave, especially in public. This is partially a personality trait of my husband but my Moroccan friends have also told me it is quite common. Hugging my friends, especially my male friends, was/is a big issue for my husband. He sees it as a sign of disrespect and I think he's crazy. This is one thing that REALLY causes us problems and where I've compromised as much as I'm gonna. He's trying to finid a way to make it ok for him but he really struggles with it.

Food is also an issue but one that we solved. He will only eat halal meat so we had to find a good halal shop that sold quality meat. It took a couple of tries but we found a few that we quite like.

Religion became a bigger issue for us as well. Actually, this was never an issue for us in Morocco but it did become one here. I am not a Muslim and will never be one. I have great respect for his practice and certainly support him that way. I'm friends with many people from his mosque and the Imam and I get along great. I've even done some volunteer work for them. But for some reason, hubby decided that he should start preaching to me. That got old quick. We solved it after both the Imam and I talked to him about having respect for the beliefs of others and leaving them to choose their own paths. "There is no compulsion in religion." It helped that I have read the Koran and can discuss religion with him. And also helps that the Imam likes and respects me. We just had to find our way around it and it only took a couple of months and didn't really create big problems. My husband is quite gentle and reasonable about most things.

There are certainly other good and bad things we deal with daily. It's normal for all married couples. But the culture difference and varying expecations do continue to offer up some problems now and then. But for the most part, I would say it took about a year for it all to calm down.

My husband has been here for 1yr 6mths he has adjusted fairly well however he worked in the larger city and travelled to many cities in morocco so he has pretty much seen it all..As for dressing fully dressed barely dressed he has no problem he says it their choice as pertaining to my dressing he doesn't care what I wear unless I am next to his muslim friends he prefers me covered up but if we r out and run into then np ( however I myself prefer to be covered up ..and that's out of respect only for them or when we go to festivity at the mosque I go again dressed cuz of respect..)

He helps with house work and cooking he lived on his own so he is good that way .

.As for work though my husband is finding it hard we live in a smaller city so not much work here..He has found English is very important here not many have a tolerance for ppl who can't speak it and work here in our town is mostly needed to speak english ... .. Thankfully it is now summer and his work load has picked with his small business he started up he also does courses to get his gr 12 credit and better his english grammar

As for time he runs on arab time always an hour or 2 late and hasn't got to bed any earlier than midnight.lol... I think he still on Moroccain time .. and yes saying NO is a big problem also with him but we are workin on that ..

For you woman who are bringing children into ur new marriage and relationship.. I have 2 childern both teens from another relationship we run into many issues with this and what he thinks is required from them .. He feels that the kids should do nothing but study eat and sleep odd time clean ..Not work or not pay for somethings they want .. but that's bein worked on ,,, but the BIG thing is the kids disrepecting he can't get over and that's from ALL of our Canadian kids.. Young and old .. He says if that was me he would have got knocked out..lol.. So make sure you discuss on kids and what to expect

But the BIGGEST thing is how the Canadian government works he don't understand that but heck me bein canadian myself I don't understand it either .. hospital waits .... cheques to ppl who can work.. He says Canada just makes everything more complicated and stressful.. When it's easy to fix... I told him to run for PM when he becomes Canadian cuz he'll have my vote..lol...

As for family he misses them very much he is working very hard to help pay for his plane tkt back home and he is guilt stricken by not being able to bring expensive gifts back for everyone.Some are expecting gifts they do think he would be good and rich here ..His mom Dad and sibilings just want him to come but he feels it necessary to bring gifts for all family (Aunts Cousins Friends).. Especially since he had a good job over there and did all that for everyone before he came here..However rumors also got back to his hometown that he drives a hummer and has his own business.lol.. At last one thing got back correct..

He works little more right now here in Canada ..He doesn't want me to pay for anything and hates to ask .. He did tell me if he wasn't married to me and loved me he would go back to Morocco ... He dislikes it here...

So all u wives be compasionate help where u can even if says NO ... It will get fustrating at times but if it is true love it is worth it ...talk and work it out ... When I wake up every morning still, I still have that same feeling I had when I was next to him in Morocco.. I LOVE HIM THE SAME AS WHEN WE FIRST MEET !!

And dair2dv8103100 I think it's a fench european man thing about knowing all things cuz mine got that too..lol .. hope to get together soon my friend...

Take Care All

dair2dv8103100

Aug 6, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
28.02.11/19.03.12
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I feel terrible saying this and it is hard to explain to friends that have never done this....but I am completely tired of being infront of a computer. I work all day with a computer and when I get home I have to go to the computer. On the weekend if I want to visit a friend or do something with my daughter...it has to be scheduled around "our time".

I really hope there are others out there that can understand what I mean because I feel completely guilty that I don't feel like being on the computer with my husband.

It has gotten monotonous.... salam alikom habibti...wa alikom salam habibi. how was your day? Fine thanks and you? Fine thanks. What did you do today? blah blah blah and you? blah blah blah....I have a video for you to watch.....then an hour or more of You Tube videos........................................... So I have tried to throw in the odd...so honey you should try and see a dentist while you are there because it is cheaper there and so on. And the obligatory yes ok I will do that. How is the family? They are fine thank you and they always ask about you and they say hi and so on and so forth.....and then 10 min before the cyber cafe closes it's I dont have much time baby so I love you...yadda yadda

I don't know what to do anymore. I find that my mind is wandering to things that I could be doing instead of sitting there. An added issue is that I am having chronic hives and there has been no resolution as to what the cause is but definitely something in or near my house so when I am sitting there the itching can sometimes be unbearable.

Can anyone tell me if they had a similar feeling or should I always be feeling lovey dovey and happy to be using my time with him? It has been 2.5 years of this for me....and really I just want him here so we can actually do things together as a family. I don't love him any less...I just find this a big struggle right now. Like everything is on hold till we hear he finally has his visa as I suppose it is....

Sigh... I suppose I am just ranting and next week everything will be fine but if thats the case I just appreciate having a place to do it.

hopeful_waiting

Star Member
Jan 22, 2009
Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2009
AOR Received.
March 2009
Interview........
Nov 2009
Passport Req..
Nov 2009
VISA ISSUED...
nov 2009
LANDED..........
Dec 2009
dair2dv8103100 said:
I feel terrible saying this and it is hard to explain to friends that have never done this....but I am completely tired of being infront of a computer. I work all day with a computer and when I get home I have to go to the computer. On the weekend if I want to visit a friend or do something with my daughter...it has to be scheduled around "our time".

I really hope there are others out there that can understand what I mean because I feel completely guilty that I don't feel like being on the computer with my husband.

It has gotten monotonous.... salam alikom habibti...wa alikom salam habibi. how was your day? Fine thanks and you? Fine thanks. What did you do today? blah blah blah and you? blah blah blah....I have a video for you to watch.....then an hour or more of You Tube videos........................................... So I have tried to throw in the odd...so honey you should try and see a dentist while you are there because it is cheaper there and so on. And the obligatory yes ok I will do that. How is the family? They are fine thank you and they always ask about you and they say hi and so on and so forth.....and then 10 min before the cyber cafe closes it's I dont have much time baby so I love you...yadda yadda

I don't know what to do anymore. I find that my mind is wandering to things that I could be doing instead of sitting there. An added issue is that I am having chronic hives and there has been no resolution as to what the cause is but definitely something in or near my house so when I am sitting there the itching can sometimes be unbearable.

Can anyone tell me if they had a similar feeling or should I always be feeling lovey dovey and happy to be using my time with him? It has been 2.5 years of this for me....and really I just want him here so we can actually do things together as a family. I don't love him any less...I just find this a big struggle right now. Like everything is on hold till we hear he finally has his visa as I suppose it is....

Sigh... I suppose I am just ranting and next week everything will be fine but if thats the case I just appreciate having a place to do it.
dair2dv8103100 and any other feeling this way it is very normal .. I remember my friends getting so angry with me because I had to be home for a certain time or couldn't go or do anything .. We always talked about the same thing and yes I was beginning to hate the computer also.. but what I found even harder was when I did take time away I felt guilty... heck we both didn't sleep much cuz of our work so when we did we even sleep on cam how crazy was that !!! Honestly a little resentment was startin to happen so eventually I did take the time for myself we set up times not as long to talk or talk and comeback after an hour of our own free time and sometimes even missed a day, and u know what it made us closer and appreciate our time when on cam. That's all I can suggest . The wait is draining and yours has just begun.. I do suggest he go to the dentist in Morocco it is much cheaper my husband is hopefully able to make it to Morocco in the next 2-3 weeks I told him to go there get all teeth fixed as I have no work coverage here in Canada of any kind so get what he can done there because it is very expensive here.. When he comes you will be feeling other new emotions believe me some good some bad ... If you ever need an ear we are here

H

HayatElFadil

Salam Walaikum,

I was wondering if I can get a visitor visa or something for my husband to come to Canada?? We sent our applications february 1 they received them february 3 and sent them to rabat then they received them march 10th. But anyway, I got pregnant in September and had our baby in May and I really want to see my husband and I want him to see our son. Also, are some spouses able to come to Canada sooner than the processing time?

hayati

Star Member
May 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
15,10,2010..re-do meds 20,10,2011
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
hi hayatElFadil

To my understanding there is no visitor visa... it takes 10 months for the process. Just wondering did your husband receive anything from Rabat??
Congratulation by the way on your buddle of joy. I know itz hard to be apart from our loved ones. My paper's were also received In Rabat in March.

H

HayatElFadil

I think maybe your spouse will be able to come to Canada before mine cause when immigration in Rabat received our applications the proccessing time was 11 months approx. My husband didn't receive anything from Rabat just a letter that informed him that they got our papers.

And thank you, he's only 2 weeks old but we're still trying to figure out exactly who he looks like!

Habibti

Apr 4, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
31-03-2011
Med's Done....
10-01-2011 / 06-09-2012
Interview........
12-09-2011 / Denied 4-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
January 9, 2013
LANDED..........
January 18, 2013 in Montreal
HayatElFadil said:
I think maybe your spouse will be able to come to Canada before mine cause when immigration in Rabat received our applications the proccessing time was 11 months approx. My husband didn't receive anything from Rabat just a letter that informed him that they got our papers.

And thank you, he's only 2 weeks old but we're still trying to figure out exactly who he looks like!
I don't understand why your husband received a letter from Rabat confirming they got your papers. My husband did not receive anything. When we checked the status of our application on the Immigration Canada website, it just says that the visa office received our application for permanent residence on March 31.

Is there someone else who received a letter from Rabat? Also I would like to read happy testimonies from Moroccans about their life in Canada. What my husband and I have read so far is kind of depressing. We are both afraid he won't like life in Canada.

H

HayatElFadil

i didnt see the letter myself, he just told me he got a letter from immigration saying they got his papers..
My mom and my sister are actually married to Moroccans, they've never used these forums. I'm just trying to see if I can get my husband here fast without having to call immigration because I know they most likely will not answer. I think I will just try my luck by sending a letter to Rabat and hopefully something good will come out of it-if anything.. I plan on going back to Morocco after Ramadan and Eid anyway, maybe in October or November and waiting for my husband till he can get his visa.

The first time I went there was because my mom met her husband online and then she went to visit him with my aunty then she wanted my sisters and I to visit him and the country. Her husband had a friend who introduced me to my now-husband before I went there by giving me his email address then I met him there and we really got to know each other. My sister met her husband the first time we went there as well but they got married before us cause they didnt have boundaries like my husband and I did.

dair2dv8103100

Aug 6, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
28.02.11/19.03.12
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Jumpin in here....but my Moroccan husband and I have talked about these forums and what they say.

He said to me....life anywhere is hard...here is hard..there is hard...it's life. I don't come for Canada...I come for you....and we make sweet hard life together...LOL

I knew there was a reason I loved him so much.

It's amazing how he can make me feel so good with just few words....so even though he is not here yet I hope this is a little smile for you in all the depressing news ;D

Habibti

Apr 4, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
31-03-2011
Med's Done....
10-01-2011 / 06-09-2012
Interview........
12-09-2011 / Denied 4-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
January 9, 2013
LANDED..........
January 18, 2013 in Montreal
dair2dv8103100 said:
Jumpin in here....but my Moroccan husband and I have talked about these forums and what they say.

He said to me....life anywhere is hard...here is hard..there is hard...it's life. I don't come for Canada...I come for you....and we make sweet hard life together...LOL

I knew there was a reason I loved him so much.

It's amazing how he can make me feel so good with just few words....so even though he is not here yet I hope this is a little smile for you in all the depressing news ;D
Thank you so much! You are so sweet! Yes, your words give me some strength tonight (and a smile too!). I also believe there are pluses and minuses everywhere. And joys and challenges too! I guess it is just a question of attitude, how we decide to deal with what comes our way. I must say that this immigration thing has taken a toll on me lately. My husband and I have started our 4th year (on May 2) of our long-distance relationship. Every second I wonder if his visa will be granted, and if yes, when.

H

HayatElFadil

You know, Moroccans love their country even non moroccans. It's kinda hard to leave that country once you get use to it. I will tell you, he won't like living here at the beginning but the fact that he is with you will sink into his mind and he will probably complain about things because they aren't like how they are in Morocco. He will complain about everything and he will be happy about things that remind him about Morocco and the things he loves like maybe soccer. Actually, Morocco was in a match with Algeria a few days ago and all of Morocco went crazy because they won and if you watch the news about it you would see how crazy everybody was going because they won and it was like that all through the whole night, so they really have pride for where they come from. Even my husband doesn't want to leave Morocco but he's coming here for me and his son. It takes time for them to get comfortable here, you just have help them.. Do your part as the wife mostly. That's what I got out of my brother-in-law and step-dad.

dair2dv8103100

Aug 6, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
28.02.11/19.03.12
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
HayatElFadil said:
You know, Moroccans love their country even non moroccans. It's kinda hard to leave that country once you get use to it. I will tell you, he won't like living here at the beginning but the fact that he is with you will sink into his mind and he will probably complain about things because they aren't like how they are in Morocco. He will complain about everything and he will be happy about things that remind him about Morocco and the things he loves like maybe soccer. Actually, Morocco was in a match with Algeria a few days ago and all of Morocco went crazy because they won and if you watch the news about it you would see how crazy everybody was going because they won and it was like that all through the whole night, so they really have pride for where they come from. Even my husband doesn't want to leave Morocco but he's coming here for me and his son. It takes time for them to get comfortable here, you just have help them.. Do your part as the wife mostly. That's what I got out of my brother-in-law and step-dad.
I agree totally....I LOVE Morocco and I am 100% Heinz 57 Canadian...LOL :p

My husband missed talking with me and never even called me just to watch that match between Morocco and Algeria hahaha

I have been trying to find things here that will be positive reminders of Morocco for him. But I have yet to find the bread he loves anywhere in my city. I am trying to find a Petangue club in the area too. For the most part the beginning of his life here will be adjusting to and creating a bond with my daughter. For me this is even more important than finding work right away because I want her to feel safe and secure in this new life. I have told everyone though that the first couple of days here he is MINE and we will be in an annonymous location for the duration of those days....LOL :p

Well, I think life in general is an adventure and for sure it is all about our attitude towards it. I am certainly not belittling anyones negative experiences but I think most people afterwards can look back and understand there was something to be learned in those experiences. I know from leaving my abusive X 10 years ago I learned that I did not value myself and I was putting my happiness (or unhappiness) into someone elses hands. I spent the next 7 years insisting that I would stay single for life and when I met my husband online it was strictly on a friends basis and out relationship grew out of friendship rather than desparation or longing.

Anyway, I digress....I truly wish everyone the best in any place they are now. This is certainly becoming a much more commonplance situation with more and more people meeting online.....ahhh the internet....bringing the world together. :D

H

HayatElFadil

Question: What does MP stand for in this immigration slang? i have a feeling it is a person or an office of some sort.