+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SPONSOR OUR US Citizen Child - INSIDE CANADA

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
Hello Experts,

Me and my wife received PR for Canada in June 2012 but stayed/worked in USA until 2014 - we had a child in 2012 who was born in USA "AFTER" we got PR in Canada.

We moved permanently to Canada in July 2014 living in BC and brought our US passport holder daughter with us(visitor). I have a few questions:
1) Can we just apply for Canadian citizenship for our US born daughter because we are PR holders, or that right is only available to Canadian Citizen parents?

2) Now I am preparing her file to apply for Permanent residence:
Do I file under "Application for Permanent Residence From Within Canada – Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class (IMM 5289)"
OR
Do I file under "Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class" .

Problem is that In Canada class dont mention "Dependent Children" in guidenlines for who should use this application. It only mentions Spouses/Partners

3) I assume that irrespective if applied for 'In Canada' class or 'Outside Canada family Sponsorship' class - Application goes to the Missisauga Servce center only

4) Fee
The fee is also confusing. Do I have to pay total 150 dollars only since the child(also principal applicant) to be sponsored is under 18 years.
Sponsorship application (per application) $75
Principal applicant $475
Principal applicant, if under 19 years of age and not a spouse or common-law partner (including a dependent child of the sponsor, a child to be adopted and an orphaned brother, sister, niece, nephew or grandchild) $75

Thanks in advance!!

Regards,
Mike

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
1. no i don't think so, i believe she needs to have been born in Canada in order for that to work, since you are not citizens you can't pass down citizenship to your daughter.
2. NO! do NOT apply from INLAND! You want to apply for sponsorship of a dependant OUTSIDE Canada. It doesn't matter if your child is in canada during processing, since she is a US citizen, she can apply outland and still be IN Canada as a visitor waiting for approval. For OUTLAND US applicants, the process is taking 3-7 months ( I am not sure if just child sponsorship is a different time line). It is FAR better than applying inland and waiting 2ish years for the process to be complete. Your best bet is to bring her to canada as a VISITOR, apply OUTLAND and extend her stay as a visitor until her application is approved.
3. Yes, for OUTLAND applications, the entire package gets sent to mississauga where the sponsor's application is processed, then once the sponsor is found eligible then CIC will foward the application to the appropriate visa office, which for US citizens is Ottawa.
4. There are 3 fees that must be paid: the sponsor fee, the applicant fee, and the Right of Permanent Residency Fee. The first 2 fees can be paid upfront with your application, and the last fee can be paid upon request. The RPRF is $490 and must be paid in order for the visa to be issued.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
Thanks RHCohen. Really appreciate:

- per the processing times on CIC website: inside Canada application time for family sponsorship is 13+8=21 months. For outside Canada it is 41days+16months in Ottawa = 17.5months if Ottawa. Much longer if Los Angeles. So not much difference. I am still thinking of inside Canada application to avoid any hassle of going to US(Los Angeles) at later date

- I guess the fee should be $75 for sponsorship + $75 for principal applicant under 19yrs age + whatever($490) landing fee which is payable later not now at time of application.CAN SOME EXPERT PLEASE CoRRECT IF WRONG...basically $150 to be paid right now at application time.

- also I assume no police report as under 18 and no medical at the time of initial application because either way it will expire by the time decision comes.

Thanks!!
Mike

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
quasar81 said:
Thanks RHCohen. Really appreciate:

- per the processing times on CIC website: inside Canada application time for family sponsorship is 13+8=21 months. For outside Canada it is 41days+16months in Ottawa = 17.5months if Ottawa. Much longer if Los Angeles. So not much difference. I am still thinking of inside Canada application to avoid any hassle of going to US(Los Angeles) at later date

- I guess the fee should be $75 for sponsorship + $75 for principal applicant under 19yrs age + whatever($490) landing fee which is payable later not now at time of application.CAN SOME EXPERT PLEASE CoRRECT IF WRONG...basically $150 to be paid right now at application time.

- also I assume no police report as under 18 and no medical at the time of initial application because either way it will expire by the time decision comes.

Thanks!!
the processing times posted online not a true indicator of what US applicants experience for approval. First, US applications are processed in OTTAWA, not LA. LA only receives files that require interviews, and considering you and your wife can prove your baby is yours, then my assumption is you won't have to have an interview. Even those requiring interviews are getting approved quicker than the inland process, so there is still no reason to apply inland as a US applicant. Ottawa processes other applications other than US, so the posted processing time is based on 80% of applications from every country ottawa processes, not just the US. This basically means that posted time is based on the WORST CASE scenarios, and is not a true average for US applicants. It is very misleading. Currently, based on real life people's actual experience with applying for PR, US applicants are getting approved in 3-7 months. March - May 2014 applicants have already been approved and landed, and June applicants just started seeing approvals. If you need to see tangible proof of this, click on the google document in my signature. That is the tracking spreadsheet for OTTAWA applications, and you will see a majority of 2014 applicants are already finished with the process. For inland, those from summer 2013 are STILL waiting. So again, it is in the best interest of your family to apply OUTLAND because then your baby won't need to be a visitor for 2 years and will be able to register for healthcare sooner.

yes, those fees sound correct.

yes, i would assume since your dependant is a baby, it is not necessary to get a police record. i'm pretty sure the instructions specifically state police records are needed if the applicant is 18 years or older.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
Thanks and based on your advice I think it is better to apply OUTLAND. But the address we have are only inland(BC) now to fill in application form as our 2yr old lives with us in Canada. Do we gave to give a USA address in immigration forms to apply Outland? We have a townhouse in USA where we were living and is rented out now. we can give that address and then give mailing address for here in Canada.....Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
quasar81 said:
Thanks and based on your advice I think it is better to apply OUTLAND. But the address we have are only inland(BC) now to fill in application form as our 2yr old lives with us in Canada. Do we gave to give a USA address in immigration forms to apply Outland? We have a townhouse in USA where we were living and is rented out now. we can give that address and then give mailing address for here in Canada.....Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike
it is not necessary to use a US address in the outland application, it is perfectly acceptable to use a canadian mailing address. use whatever address is the best address to contact you at. The address you use in the application will be the address CIC uses to send the approval papers.

also, i just read on this forum in another thread that if you are only sponsoring a child, you MUST apply outland. so don't waste your time with inland. you'll end up waiting months just to have your application sent back and told you must apply outland.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
Any sense to get the Medical for our daughter get done upfront. Just wanted to send the application ASAP because BC medical insurance will insure her with pending application...

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
quasar81 said:
Any sense to get the Medical for our daughter get done upfront. Just wanted to send the application ASAP because BC medical insurance will insure her with pending application...
yes, for outland, it's required to send the medical upfront. if not, it can cause a delayed decision. generally, there isn't a substantial wait for getting the exam. plenty of panel doctors are able to schedule appointments immediately.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
quasar81 said:
Problem is that In Canada class dont mention "Dependent Children" in guidenlines for who should use this application. It only mentions Spouses/Partners
Dependent children cannot be sponsored inland. So Outland is the only option anyway.

kiwi123

Star Member
Jul 9, 2014
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 9 2014
AOR Received.
SA - 27 August 2014
Med's Done....
5 July 2014
Passport Req..
2 Dec 2014
VISA ISSUED...
18 Dec 2014
LANDED..........
15 Jan 2015
Im sure I have read that dependent children dont RPRF. Someone else might be able to confirm though.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Fee is just $150. No RPRF.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/fees.asp
4. Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF)
These people do not have to pay this fee:
dependent children of a principal applicant or sponsor, a child to be adopted, or an orphaned brother, sister, niece, nephew or grandchild;

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
rhcohen2014 said:
it is not necessary to use a US address in the outland application, it is perfectly acceptable to use a canadian mailing address. use whatever address is the best address to contact you at. The address you use in the application will be the address CIC uses to send the approval papers.

also, i just read on this forum in another thread that if you are only sponsoring a child, you MUST apply outland. so don't waste your time with inland. you'll end up waiting months just to have your application sent back and told you must apply outland.
I have an email address where most of my correspondence goes ( my preference) and the hard copy papers they must mail go to my husband's address here in Canada, so far no issues with that.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
Please call me stupid because I am one....I sent the OUTLAND application for my dependent child using CanadaPost Xpresspost to their regular mail address at:

Sponsorship: ( Type of sponsorship*)
Case Processing Centre ─ Mississauga
P.O. Box 3000, Station A
Mississauga, Ontario
L5A 4N6

While it says in Guide if using courier use
Sponsorship: (type of sponsorship*)
Case Processing Centre – Mississauga
2 Robert Speck Parkway,
Suite 300
Mississauga, ON
L4Z 1H8

Also, I forget mentioning the "sponsorship of dependent child"on envelope. CanadaPost XpressPost tracking says DELIVERED!! on 10/22/2014

What to do now? Will they guide the application to correct route using IMM0008?? Can I call them and check if they received the application?

Feeling so bad after such hard work...

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Canada post is not a courier, so it can be delivered to a po box. if your tracking info says delivered, then it was delivered. you will not receive notification from CIC for some time still. it isn't necessary to write "outland sponsorship for child" on your package. cic will figure it out with the information in your packet.

you will want to take a look online to see what date of application they are currently processing for outland family sponsorship. my guess it will probably be another 2-4 weeks before you hear anything. You can also go to the thread specific for October applications, so you can keep track of when CIC starts processing apps submitted the same time.

CIC will not be able to tell you if they received your application if it hasn't been opened yet. you will have to be patient and wait for CIC to notify you as the sponsor. Some people have been getting Acknowledgement of Receipt letters, and once they decide on the eligibility of the sponsor, they will send another. at this time there is nothing you can do except wait.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
quasar81 said:
Please call me stupid because I am one....I sent the OUTLAND application for my dependent child using CanadaPost Xpresspost to their regular mail address at:

Sponsorship: ( Type of sponsorship*)
Case Processing Centre ─ Mississauga
P.O. Box 3000, Station A
Mississauga, Ontario
L5A 4N6
No, you did the right thing. Xpresspost is not a courier. I mailed my application via Xpressport to the same address and as you can see from my timeline, it all worked out.