+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP, ask me anything.

shubhambhargava01

Dec 24, 2023
One cousultant told me that i should apply after receiving my Visa Stamping as it will increase the chances . There are less success rate if applied before receiving my visa.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
One cousultant told me that i should apply after receiving my Visa Stamping as it will increase the chances . There are less success rate if applied before receiving my visa.
Since you are taking a Masters and at Waterloo, your spouse had a very good chance of being approved with you. Government even said this week that those taking Masters can have their spouse come on SOWP and not other other programs. Now you are under new funding guidelines of $26K for two people so not sure if that is the amount you must show. Apply now but processing is 15 weeks.

Rifa<3

May 31, 2021
Dubai, UAE
Category........
STUDY
App. Filed.......
15 May 2021
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-05-2021
Hi everyone,
I have some concerns, my 2nd course starts in Sep 2024 (current permits SP and SOWP- expire in July). So i believe naturally we will be applying for extensions of the current permits rather than new permits.

In that case I have 2 questions, considering the recent IRCC announcements:

1- Since we are SP and SOWP cases, if I opt for a course in May 2024 instead of Sep and then apply for SPE and SOWP ext right now then would it still impact my SOWP ext?

2- I have heard from some visa agents that if I'm opting for Sep 2024 course then I can only apply for SPE and SOWP ext within 150 days of the commencement of the course. Is this true? Considering the recent updates, I would like to apply for new extension asap but dont want rejection because i applied before 150 days frame.

ARAZ ALI

Jan 31, 2024
Hi everyone,
I am currently in canada as an undergraduate student pursuing bachelors in CS. I was about to get married to my fiance in June this year and he was about to apply for SOWP afterwards. However, the recent policy has completely left us disheartened.

Does this policy implies to current study permit holders too?

Can we still go for what we decided? Or can he apply for visit visa on my basis? What are other options available?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone,
I am currently in canada as an undergraduate student pursuing bachelors in CS. I was about to get married to my fiance in June this year and he was about to apply for SOWP afterwards. However, the recent policy has completely left us disheartened.

Does this policy implies to current study permit holders too?

Can we still go for what we decided? Or can he apply for visit visa on my basis? What are other options available?
It will impact you are spouse is not eligible for a work permit. When do you graduate as he would be eligible (if rules don’t change) for work permit then if you are eligible. For a visitor visa he needs to show his own funds, travel history, ties to return (job letter with approved leave, business, income properties etc.). You being in Canada will weaken his chances when married. He can visit up to 6 months (or as determined by CBSA) but not live or work. Other option is he applies for a study permit or finds an employer willing to give him a LMIA proving no Canadian or PR has the skills/experience/education to do the job.

ARAZ ALI

Jan 31, 2024
What if i already have someone who is ready to file LMIA, so what are the chances to get visa?

As above you said it will impact so i will go for LMIA, as coming summer i will get married so if she don’t able to apply SOWP for me then I will go for LMIA

I am waiting to see clear policy from IRCC and they only stated the statement.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What if i already have someone who is ready to file LMIA, so what are the chances to get visa?

As above you said it will impact so i will go for LMIA, as coming summer i will get married so if she don’t able to apply SOWP for me then I will go for LMIA

I am waiting to see clear policy from IRCC and they only stated the statement.
If you have a LMIA then apply for closed work permit. Prove you can do the NOC with job experience letters, ECA and IELTS.
Agree, all is speculation until government posts guidelines. Just commenting considering housing crisis that IRCC may not allow hundreds of thousands of family members to apply for SOWP and children’s study permits.

ARAZ ALI

Jan 31, 2024
If you have a LMIA then apply for closed work permit. Prove you can do the NOC with job experience letters, ECA and IELTS.
Agree, all is speculation until government posts guidelines. Just commenting considering housing crisis that IRCC may not allow hundreds of thousands of family members to apply for SOWP and children’s study permits.
can you tell me the requirements for LMIA?
What IELTS score is required for LMIA?
and i have done with bachelor of business administration and Major Marketing ( marketing & sales )

When i was completing my degree i was doing my job in 7th semester and up till now i have 1 year of experience in Marketing & Sales department in Pakistan Company

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
can you tell me the requirements for LMIA?
What IELTS score is required for LMIA?
and i have done with bachelor of business administration and Major Marketing ( marketing & sales )

When i was completing my degree i was doing my job in 7th semester and up till now i have 1 year of experience in Marketing & Sales department in Pakistan Company
So what is NOC is the approved LMIA from your Canadian employer? Show your job references and education to show you can do the job. IELTS will depend on the NOC.

Chirantar

Feb 5, 2019
It is a guess, and no one can tell you accurately how much time it will take.
Hello @Naturgrl

Sadly I have got a PFL stating below which is clearly untrue as I have not misinterpreted any wrong information. What can be done now ? I've told my employer though that I have never applied for Canadian visa earlier just the TRV. The attorneys says they will reply back along with my scanned copy of all visas in my passport. But what's the outcome for PFL where such reasons are given which are untrue. Could this be a mistake ?

This refers to your application for a Canadian Temporary Resident Visa.
I have reviewed your application and documents you submitted in its support. Subsection 11(1)
of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act provides that a foreign national must, before
entering Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or any other document required by the
Regulations. The visa or document shall be issued if, following an examination, the officer is
satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act.
I have concerns that you do not meet the requirement put upon you by subsection 16(1) of the
Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), which states:
16(1) A person who makes an application must answer truthfully all questions put to
them for the purpose of the examination and must produce a visa and all relevant
evidence and documents that the officer reasonably requires.
I have additional concerns that you may be inadmissible under subsection 40(1) of IRPA, which
states:
40(1) A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible for misrepresentation
(a) for directly or indirectly misrepresenting or withholding material facts relating to a
relevant matter that induces or could induce an error in the administration of this Act.
Specifically, I have concerns that you have failed to disclose complete answers in your statutory
questions, namely Question 2(b) - Have you ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or
ordered to leave Canada or any other country or territory? Explain why this information was not
provided, and provide copies of documentation you have to support your response, which may
include copies of refusal letters or other correspondence.
Please note that if it is found that you have engaged in misrepresentation in submitting your
application, you would be inadmissible to Canada for a period of five years :(

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello @Naturgrl

Sadly I have got a PFL stating below which is clearly untrue as I have not misinterpreted any wrong information. What can be done now ? I've told my employer though that I have never applied for Canadian visa earlier just the TRV. The attorneys says they will reply back along with my scanned copy of all visas in my passport. But what's the outcome for PFL where such reasons are given which are untrue. Could this be a mistake ?

This refers to your application for a Canadian Temporary Resident Visa.
I have reviewed your application and documents you submitted in its support. Subsection 11(1)
of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act provides that a foreign national must, before
entering Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or any other document required by the
Regulations. The visa or document shall be issued if, following an examination, the officer is
satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act.
I have concerns that you do not meet the requirement put upon you by subsection 16(1) of the
Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), which states:
16(1) A person who makes an application must answer truthfully all questions put to
them for the purpose of the examination and must produce a visa and all relevant
evidence and documents that the officer reasonably requires.
I have additional concerns that you may be inadmissible under subsection 40(1) of IRPA, which
states:
40(1) A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible for misrepresentation
(a) for directly or indirectly misrepresenting or withholding material facts relating to a
relevant matter that induces or could induce an error in the administration of this Act.
Specifically, I have concerns that you have failed to disclose complete answers in your statutory
questions, namely Question 2(b) - Have you ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or
ordered to leave Canada or any other country or territory? Explain why this information was not
provided, and provide copies of documentation you have to support your response, which may
include copies of refusal letters or other correspondence.
Please note that if it is found that you have engaged in misrepresentation in submitting your
application, you would be inadmissible to Canada for a period of five years :(
So you have never been refused any visa for any country even as a minor? So this is separate from your work permit.

Chirantar

Feb 5, 2019
So you have never been refused any visa for any country even as a minor? So this is separate from your work permit.
I've never been refused any visa or have never overstated in any countries I traveled. I never travelled as a minor, infact didn't even have a passport.

I got this letter for my WP only that we were discussing above.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I've never been refused any visa or have never overstated in any countries I traveled. I never travelled as a minor, infact didn't even have a passport.

I got this letter for my WP only that we were discussing above.
The letter says TRV so you never applied for a TRV. If no, then have your lawyers send the proof that you have not ever applied for a visa before applying to come to Canada. You would be surprised the number of people who didn’t know that parents applied for a visa (for any country) with their children and were refused. Years later, you find out you were refused.

Chirantar

Feb 5, 2019
The letter says TRV so you never applied for a TRV. If no, then have your lawyers send the proof that you have not ever applied for a visa before applying to come to Canada. You would be surprised the number of people who didn’t know that parents applied for a visa (for any country) with their children and were refused. Years later, you find out you were refused.
I did apply for the TRV and got approval as well and this was put in my application as well. My parents never had a passport for themselves and I got my passport in 2018 so there is no chance that a visa application was filed by them which is unknown to me and was rejected. Does this happens by mistake sometimes by the VO ?