+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP, ask me anything.

sukrit

Jan 29, 2023
Hi! I am currently in Canada as an International Student. I want to apply for my wife’s SOWP. Can someone shed some light if I should be filing her SOWP from my account or my wife herself from her account. I am a bit confused if the applicant files it or the sponsor.

Mandalorian

Nov 21, 2019
winnipeg
NOC Code......
Hey Everyone, According to the new policy introduced by IRCC

All we need is a full time job in TEER category for the spouses to be eligible?

Do we have to show funds?

I have a full time job in TEER 2 category and have been employed for a year.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey Everyone, According to the new policy introduced by IRCC

All we need is a full time job in TEER category for the spouses to be eligible?

Do we have to show funds?

I have a full time job in TEER 2 category and have been employed for a year.
The policy is a phased in program.

• Phase 1 will enable family members of workers coming to Canada through the high-wage stream of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program or the International Mobility Program to apply for an open work permit .
  • Phase 2 aims to expand the measure to the family members of workers from the low-wage stream of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, following consultations.
  • Phase 3 will include consultation with agricultural partners and stakeholders to assess operational feasibility for expanding the measure to family members of agricultural workers.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2022/12/employers-and-temporary-workers-to-benefit-from-family-work-permits-to-address-labour-shortages.html

Reactions: Mandalorian

Majo_2020

Nov 17, 2022
Hi everyone, I just received my owp refusal today (my husband works as a skilled worker with a work permit.
here are the reasons:

• The compensation (monetary or other) indicated in your job offer and your assets and financial situation are insufficient to support the stated purpose of travel for yourself (and any accompanying family member(s), if applicable).
• You have significant family ties in Canada.
• You do not have significant family ties outside Canada.
• The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application.

how can I proof about the significant ties inside and outside Canada and the purpose of my visit?
Can I show my husband's bank statement when I reapply for owp?

baryonix

May 21, 2019
Hi everyone, I just received my owp refusal today (my husband works as a skilled worker with a work permit.
here are the reasons:

• The compensation (monetary or other) indicated in your job offer and your assets and financial situation are insufficient to support the stated purpose of travel for yourself (and any accompanying family member(s), if applicable).
• The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application.

how can I proof about the significant ties inside and outside Canada and the purpose of my visit?
That's very silly reason for them, because the Spousal Work Permit is to allow Spouse to reunite/stay together, and they're rejecting because of family ties? Is IRCC stupid or what? lol.

Before that, did they ask you for proof of relationship other than marriage certificate? (like proof that you communicate with each other, any visits/trips taken together, photos, etc.) ? What is your VO?

I'd recommend getting GCMS/CBSA notes to understand the details

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
here are the reasons:

• The compensation (monetary or other) indicated in your job offer and your assets and financial situation are insufficient to support the stated purpose of travel for yourself (and any accompanying family member(s), if applicable). What did you show as your employment & how much salary was mentioned? If this is not in line with the job then it flags off.
Ties have to be shown back home through on going employment, family & assets etc. Your spouse being in Canada is a strong tie to the country, SImilarly you need to have a tie back home which will make sure you do not overstay and return
• The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application. Same as above

how can I proof about the significant ties inside and outside Canada and the purpose of my visit? Same as above. Purpose of visit has to be to unite with spouse and indicate what you plan on doing during your stay in Canada in your SOP
Can I show my husband's bank statement when I reapply for owp? Anyone over 18 yo has to show their own funds. If these are borrowed, you need to declare and show them as well.

Good Luck

Majo_2020

Nov 17, 2022
• The compensation (monetary or other) indicated in your job offer and your assets and financial situation are insufficient to support the stated purpose of travel for yourself (and any accompanying family member(s), if applicable). What did you show as your employment & how much salary was mentioned? If this is not in line with the job then it flags off.
Ties have to be shown back home through on going employment, family & assets etc. Your spouse being in Canada is a strong tie to the country, SImilarly you need to have a tie back home which will make sure you do not overstay and return
• The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application. Same as above

how can I proof about the significant ties inside and outside Canada and the purpose of my visit? Same as above. Purpose of visit has to be to unite with spouse and indicate what you plan on doing during your stay in Canada in your SOP
Can I show my husband's bank statement when I reapply for owp? Anyone over 18 yo has to show their own funds. If these are borrowed, you need to declare and show them as well.

Good Luck
"What did you show as your employment & how much salary was mentioned? If this is not in line with the job then it flags off. "
I did not show any of employment letter because i applied for sowp based on my husband's work permit. He work as a skilled worker with a good salary so I don't think it was the problem.

Majo_2020

Nov 17, 2022
That's very silly reason for them, because the Spousal Work Permit is to allow Spouse to reunite/stay together, and they're rejecting because of family ties? Is IRCC stupid or what? lol.

Before that, did they ask you for proof of relationship other than marriage certificate? (like proof that you communicate with each other, any visits/trips taken together, photos, etc.) ? What is your VO?

I'd recommend getting GCMS/CBSA notes to understand the details
yes, because i am applying sowp to stay together with my husband. Should I request for reconsideration after refusal or re-apply for sowp but it may take so much time.
I applied through Ankara VO, and the processing time for a work permit is 20 weeks
I plan to apply for a visitor visa from Indonesia (I am an Indonesian citizen) since it only takes 13 days as they promised the processing time but I am not sure yet.

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
"What did you show as your employment & how much salary was mentioned? If this is not in line with the job then it flags off. "
I did not show any of employment letter because i applied for sowp based on my husband's work permit. He work as a skilled worker with a good salary so I don't think it was the problem.
His job gives you the eligibility to apply for an OWP
You have to have your own ties to home country/funds and be able to justify the purpose of visit

People usually show 6 months of bank statement/onging employment letter/any promotions/Pay slips/Tax returns in current country of residence/ a CA report [not mandatory]/travel history if any - I did all this for my spouse's OWP application and it worked out too.

Good Luck.

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
yes, because i am applying sowp to stay together with my husband. Should I request for reconsideration after refusal or re-apply for sowp but it may take so much time.
I applied through Ankara VO, and the processing time for a work permit is 20 weeks
I plan to apply for a visitor visa from Indonesia (I am an Indonesian citizen) since it only takes 13 days as they promised the processing time but I am not sure yet.
You can ask for reconsideration but I am not sure how that works and on what basis

A visitor visa is twice as much difficult than an OWP in my opinion

Try reapplying as that is the right visa category for long time stay

nithinte44

Star Member
Aug 7, 2022
I was a student in Canada and my wife's sowp was only until my study permit (April 2023). Now I am on pgwp and I want to extend my wife's sowp upto my pgwp. I am working an noc c (teer 4) job. But I heard that we can extend sowp irrespective of the noc code now. She came to Canada on November 2022 and has been living here ever since. My questions are

1. Can I use my gic account to extend her sowp? (or does she have to create her own)
2. Her medical certificate from India is past 1 year now. is it ok?
3. What are the documents that need to be included?

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
I was a student in Canada and my wife's sowp was only until my study permit (April 2023). Now I am on pgwp and I want to extend my wife's sowp upto my pgwp. I am working an noc c (teer 4) job. But I heard that we can extend sowp irrespective of the noc code now. She came to Canada on November 2022 and has been living here ever since. My questions are

1. Can I use my gic account to extend her sowp? (or does she have to create her own)
2. Her medical certificate from India is past 1 year now. is it ok?
3. What are the documents that need to be included?
1. Can I use my gic account to extend her sowp? (or does she have to create her own) you can use yours
2. Her medical certificate from India is past 1 year now. is it ok? You can submit & if IRCC needs you will get a medical request
3. What are the documents that need to be included? based on your answers the checklist will populate

Good Luck

Reactions: nithinte44

nithinte44

Star Member
Aug 7, 2022
I am doing a teer 4 job in Canada while holding a PGWP. My wife is in Canada with me and her sowp is soon gonna expire.
Am I eligible in this condition to extend my wife's sowp? (with my teer4 job)

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Reactions: nithinte44