+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP, ask me anything.

Aminidad

May 20, 2020
Hi everyone,

I need to extend my spouse's open work permit (it expires in August 2022), and after searching everywhere I couldn't find the information on the following:

I have PGWP and I just got a NOC 1 job which started last week, and I was unemployed for Jan and Feb 2022, but I had another Noc 1 job that ended December 2021.

for the required documents, we need the 3 most recent paystubs of me, however, do they need to be consecutive or is it ok if I submit a paystub from my most recent job and then use 2 of my last job?

sangram82

Nov 17, 2014
Hi everyone , one query . my wife applied for SP in Feb 2022 for Sep intake, her Sp is still in process . Can i apply SOWP in parallel . Can any body please clarify .

JasjotSingh

Nov 19, 2019
Hi,

I have applied for spouse open work permit on Dec 1,2021 as my current one was expiring on Dec 31 2021 (I made correction on my application on Dec 3 by submitting webform). on applying I received a letter saying "Please attach this letter to your present work permit Number as proof that you are authorized to continue working with the same conditions (ie: employer and occupation) until March 31, 2022 or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first. This extended period of work is authorized as per subsection 186(u) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. If you leave Canada before a decision is made on your application, you will no longer be authorized to continue working. "

It is already March 23, and I still did not receive/hear anything yet. Is anyone in similar situation as me?
Also If I did not hear anything until March 31 , can I continue to work with my current employer or I have to quit working until I hear anything ?
as per subsection 186(u) I ca

Reactions: Miracle2018

dimitri12

Sep 8, 2021
Hi,

I have applied for spouse open work permit on Dec 1,2021 as my current one was expiring on Dec 31 2021 (I made correction on my application on Dec 3 by submitting webform). on applying I received a letter saying "Please attach this letter to your present work permit Number as proof that you are authorized to continue working with the same conditions (ie: employer and occupation) until March 31, 2022 or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first. This extended period of work is authorized as per subsection 186(u) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. If you leave Canada before a decision is made on your application, you will no longer be authorized to continue working. "

It is already March 23, and I still did not receive/hear anything yet. Is anyone in similar situation as me?
Also If I did not hear anything until March 31 , can I continue to work with my current employer or I have to quit working until I hear anything ?
as per subsection 186(u) I ca
My friend is having the similar situation and she is also wondering what to do.
From what I read, it says "whichever is first" so I don't think you can continue working after Mar 31, 2022 (but I might be wrong).
I would also like to know if anyone else know about it! Thx!

marnet

Mar 22, 2022
My wife has received PPR today(Feb 25th 2022). The work permit which was used for filing the SOWP is valid till March 11th 2022 only. My employer has already applied for my extension and I have share all the relevant documents of my extension including the job offer letter with the IRCC through the web form but I have not received any acknowledgement from the IRCC that it has been received. I am wondering what will be the validity of the work permit that my wife is gonna get on her passport.
it depends on your work permit extension, the visa on her passport is only to enter Canada, and once she arrive they will give her the work permit according the new date of your work permit.
i've a question for you, my husband his work permit will expire at the end of July and i applied in January do you think that it's going to be rejected because of his work permit? and we're waiting now for his company to extened his work permit

marnet

Mar 22, 2022
Hi, my husband and I applied together from Egypt (processing office: Ankara). I applied for a study permit (PhD) and he applied for a spousal open work permit. Here is our timeline:

Applications submitted: June 3 2021
No biometrics needed as both have previous biometric record
My study permit letter of introduction: 2 December 2021
I arrived to Canada December 23 2021.

No updates on husband’s SOWP yet. It has now been over 8 months since he submitted his application.
Questions:
1- Would it be better to submit a separate visitor visa application for him? Would that enable him to travel to Canada faster, even if he will be ineligible to work until the work permit arrives?
2- Would it help to submit my study permit as a supplementary document to his application?
3- Is there anything else we can do from our side to expedite his process? It has been unbearable waiting months on end with no updates…. We’ve sent countless email inquiries, only to receive the same “we are processing your application” template responses. Any advice or help from people who’ve been through similar situations would be really appreciated.

Thank you.
it's taking time to process the visa from Egypt (almost 9months) that's why i went to another country to apply for my the visa, ask your husband to go to another country to apply for new visa, and you can check the estimated time of each country, like Albania and Mexico it's taking 2-3 weeks, to be honest i applied from France and the estimated time was 8 weeks then 9 weeks and now i'm waiting for more than 10 weeks and i recieved nothing! Good luck!

Geek01

Mar 27, 2022
Hi,

I am filling application for my newborn from my GCKey account. In the questionnaires do I have to declare myself as representative and fill out the IMM5476 form which is automatically generated? Or should I mark it no because I am the one using my account to fill my newborn application so it is assumed that I am representing my child?

Another option is to attach the Family member representative form IMM5713 and attached it in the client information section.

Currently my application is under process for open work permit visa.

Regards,

balaakshay25

Oct 17, 2019
It completely depends from case to case. You can link your paper based application to your CIC account(if you have any or you can create a new one too) and can get status updates from there. WIsh you luck, let me know if the normal processing times breach. I can guide you after that. But till the time normal processing times have not breached, we can not raise a question as they are not liable to respond to that.

Hello,

I have a very quick question.

We applied for SOWP in Dec 2020 and never got a reply June 2021 my work permit got expired and we received a reply in 2022 Jan that our application has been rejected.

I got my BOWP in July 2021 and that is when I applied for my wife's SOWP and received an Additional Document asking the below question
Have you ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada...?

We replied about the visa applied in Dec 2020 and it got rejected..

Now waiting for a reply...

has anyone had a similar experience?

dibin.dy

Mar 28, 2022
I applied for my SOWP from UAE. Now I am planning to move back to India.

Applied on July 5th 2021. Medical update on 9th September 2021 after that no update.

What should I do? Do I need to withdraw my application?
Kindly give me some suggestions.

achandwani

Mar 10, 2022
I have applied for the SOWP application on 14th March 2022, which is in progress. Yesterday(29 March 2022) I got selected in the H1b lottery. Should I withdraw my SOWP application? I am concerned that my parallel visa application can cause some issues.
For Example, my employer will file a petition if he misses mentioning that I have already applied for another country visa, and later on if it got detected then it can cause serious harm to my H1B application.
OR if my SOWP got rejected and later on in the H1B interview they asked why do you have rejection already and why it was not mentioned in your H1B petition file.

Please suggest!

RAKZ

Star Member
Dec 31, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I really appreciate your feedback on the spouse's open work permit. I have been working in Canada since June 2020, and I applied for SOWP for my wife in Dec 2020. Yesterday, she received PPR. However, my current WP will be going to end in June 2022, which is in 3 months. I applied already for a new work permit inside Canada. Does it create any problem in the port of entry, when she land in Canada?. Does my IRCC letter (my new work permit letter) allows her to enter Canada. Please give me a suggestion?

SagarPi

Dec 5, 2021
I travelled to Canada with my wife on 31st Oct 2021.
I am holding a (dependent visa) Temporary resident visa. My wife has a closed work permit.
I have raised SOWP on Dec 09, 2021. My online application is complete. I am waiting for a decision on the work permit.
While applying for the Work permit the processing time was 130 days.
According to that, should I expect to receive any reply on 18th April ? Or is it taking more than 130 or 133 days?

I am looking for an answer as I am remotely working for my home country company and I have to tell them my last working day and month. Thank you.

Raised a complete SOWP: 09th Dec 2021