+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP, ask me anything.

yashiharu

Star Member
Jun 13, 2018
Hi,

My SOWP has been refused and belowis the reason.
I am not satisfied that you have sufficient funds, including income or assets, to carry out your stated purpose in coming to Canada or to maintain yourself while in Canada and to effect your departure.

I show almost 7000$ in my account and 4 lakh in my wife’s account.

any suggestions
ircc listed clearly: school fee + CAD 10000/per year

You need the approval letter from your wife to show that you can use all her money for this trip.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Hi folks,

Due to pandemic, we have this situation : SOWP-extension application is taking too long. May be 6 months or so. I have a closed work permit extended with validity till Dec 22. My spouse SOWP-extension is in process. What will happen in these six months if I lose my job? Will my spouse's SOWP-extension application be rejected or need to be withdrawn?

Thanks

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Let me put it this way. If you lose your status in Canada, your spouse’s work permit expires right away. But with all the things going on die to covid, there will be some relaxation in terms of extensions.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Let me put it this way. If you lose your status in Canada, your spouse’s work permit expires right away. But with all the things going on die to covid, there will be some relaxation in terms of extensions.
1. Losing job is not same as losing status.
2. Spouses can (like in my case) have work permits with different expiry dates. I had to change my location of work and that caused my work permit to be changed. This way, I have a work permit with expiry date later than SWOP of my spouse.

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Canada is giving an opportunity to everyone to find a new employer if they lose a job within a given time frame, after that, your status will expire. Spouses can have an different expiry on their work permit and conditioned to if your status is not lost until then. The status of the person holding SOWP is only valid until his/her spouse has a status.

Cynthia93

Jul 18, 2016
Canada
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Accra VFS
App. Filed.......
16/09/2016
Doc's Request.
Submitted
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Request
13/01/2017
Med's Done....
18/01/2017
Interview........
Not needed
Passport Req..
Already Submitted
VISA ISSUED...
26/01/2017
LANDED..........
22/04/2017
Good day all
Please I need someone to help me in this situation

I have my PGWP approved on March for three years but my husband SOWP will expire by September 2020 and due to the Covid 19 I couldn't work
I started working on June 29 in Noc B as a Cook and my payment is biweekly. On July 31st my employer laid me of because we are not having customers in the restaurant. I have only two paystub from the employer.
Now I have another Job in Noc B as a Cook and I will be getting my first Paystub from the new employer by August 14th.
My question is this, Can I use my previous two Paystub from my first employer and the one Paystub from my new employer to apply for my husband SOWP extenson? Or do I have to wait till I get 3 paystub from my new employer

mandeep9595

Jul 22, 2019
Hello folks,

I applied for spouse open work permit in March 2020 and got refusal in May 2020. I just want to know that Should I apply again in this pandemic time?

Please help me out.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Canada is giving an opportunity to everyone to find a new employer if they lose a job within a given time frame, after that, your status will expire.
No, your status expires on the date when it says it does on your permit. If you don't apply for extension then you will be out of status on the date it says on the permit. It has little to do with loss of job. Loss of job does not lead to loss of status. If you have closed permit like me, it will mean you cann't work for another employer. What you can do is to look for another employer and get a job offer and possible LMIA (if your are not exempt from one) and then apply for a new work permit. Since border is closed you will have to apply with IRCC instead of with CBSA at port of entry.

Spouses can have an different expiry on their work permit and conditioned to if your status is not lost until then.
Not with my spouse's permit. It is dated to expire on the date my previous permit expired. I don't if such kind of condition appear as a clause. Usually, the end date is set based on principal applicant's permit.

The status of the person holding SOWP is only valid until his/her spouse has a status.
As I said before, Dates are determined during granting of work permit to ensure that SOWP does not have a expiry date later than principal application's permit expiry but if principal applicant get new permit by changing conditions on their permit, these dates can diverge. Like it happened in my case.

wang0209

May 24, 2020
Hello,i have been reject 5 time before, this is not the point.(almost every time due to purpose of visit. I got the nots, is just excuse. ,I explain it with evidences ,is just not working, at that time ,my spouse identity as a master student,,so after the 5th times reject I stop applying。2 student 2 SOWP 1 family visit)
The point is ,after last rejection has past for one year.Now my spouse MBA graduated with PGWP,and having a NO A job for 3 months, with more than 3 pay stubs, we get married for 2 years, separated for 2 years.right now, if I apply ,what is the success chance for us applying for SOWP??

Nirisha88

Jun 9, 2020
Hello members, can you please resolve my two questions. (@GandiBaat @gauravsharma11210 )

1) Can SOWP holder work in any province across Canada or she has to work in the same province where her spouse is studying? Like I am studying in Ontario but my spouse who would be SOWP wants to work in Manitoba. Is that possible.?

2)Is their any time limit under which we are suppose to travel to Canada after getting our SOWP approved? My spouse is applying for his SOWP now but he intends to travel after six months.

Shahbaz042

Star Member
Jun 30, 2017
Hello members, can you please resolve my two questions. (@GandiBaat @gauravsharma11210 )

1) Can SOWP holder work in any province across Canada or she has to work in the same province where her spouse is studying? Like I am studying in Ontario but my spouse who would be SOWP wants to work in Manitoba. Is that possible.?

2)Is their any time limit under which we are suppose to travel to Canada after getting our SOWP approved? My spouse is applying for his SOWP now but he intends to travel after six months.
SOWP = Spouse Open Work Permit. If it is open work permit it means that you are open to work anywhere in Canada.

I think there is no time limit as far as you have TRV on your passport. Your spouse will get the work permit when he will reach at Canadian aiport. It doesn't matter if it is just right away or after 6 months.

Reactions: Nirisha88

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
The conditions are usually written on the permit. Just see the document. If there are no such conditions, then well, its open. Only a far off possibility is that if at a later stage you are showing both of you being married (say in PR application) BUT you were living apart for extended period (as mentioned in your application) it may (just may) trigger an alarm. It may be mitigated by other conditions (like having a baby).

Reactions: Nirisha88